Ok, so I know people will recommend using Youmail and other services, etc.

I would like to keep this thread to troubleshooting and see if anyone can share some ideas about fixing VERIZON'S visual voicemail issues that I am experiencing.

If I can't get any love and get this stuff corrected I will definitely be checking out the other options but I want to try to get VZW VVM working as it should.

So here is the list of issues I am having with visual voicemail:

1. I often get a message saying that the system can't connect with the network and it asks me if I want to call into my voicemail number instead of using VVM. Is this just a bad cell area that creates this? I often get it while I'm on the phone and someone leaves a voicemail. Its just ridiculous that the voicemails can't just show up in the vvm screen and let you play them?!!?

2. Very often, when I go to listen to a voicemail through vvm there is a VERY long delay before it will start playing. Could be as long as 10 seconds. Seems like the system is trying to download the voicemail when I hit the play button instead of doing it in the background while I'm doing other things. Very frustrating!!

3. Many, Many times when I hit the play button either nothing happens or the time marker shoots all the way to the end and I have to hit play again or select the beginning of the time line to start over.

4. The controls seem WAYYYY too sensitive or inaccurate. Sometimes I hit play and it selects the next message down, sometimes it fast forwards the message. Often when I try to scroll to new messages it won't let me go past a certain part of the list to see below it.

5. Also, the markings for the messages get covered up when you select the play button so if you have a bunch of calls from the same number (for example, I get my calls forwarded from my office. They don't contain caller ID on the forward but I have all calls coming from that number listed as 'Office Forward Call'). So I could have 10 voicemails from that number and I need to see the date and time to determine which one I want to listen to. When you select the message the 'play' button covers the time stamp info.

So all in all, I'm not very pleased with Visual Voicemail but I'd like to see if I can make it work through the Verizon system for a coupple of reasons. If I can't, I can't but I'd like to see if others have experienced these problems and if they have any corrections that worked for them.

Thanks in advance!

Jay
    06-14-09 07:12 AM
    1. I often get the "can't download" message when I'm in a bad cell area. Also, VVM probably can't connect to the servers while on a phone call. As discussed on these forums before, Verizon is CDMA, which can't simultaneously do voice and data. Your VVM should download as soon as you end your call.

2. I haven't had this problem too much, but when I get the pop-up message, the message is usually already on my phone.

3. / 4. The controls for this program still needs work. Sometimes theres a lag, and you end up selecting the wrong message or something. Its still glitchy, and I'm hoping updates to this program can fix some of this. I also noticed (if you haven't mentioned it) that the slider does nothing when trying to fast forward. You can move the slider almost to the end, and the message will not jump forward.

5. When you select the message, the date/time info should be displayed in smaller, blue text under the name.

6. To add to your list, sometimes the caller ID info does not show up, even though I added the number to my contacts. Its hit or miss.

Sorry I don't really have solutions for you, but in the problems I've been experiencing hasn't been a deal-breaker for me.
    06-14-09 09:42 AM
    Had the same issuse as above and just deleted and reinstalled and they all went away,, well except for the red blinky light that wont go away even after deleting msgs.
    06-14-09 09:49 AM
    Had the same issuse as above and just deleted and reinstalled and they all went away,, well except for the red blinky light that wont go away even after deleting msgs.
    You should download LED Reset, which lets you clear the delayed red light. Not a perfect fix, but better than nothing. Just search the forums for the OTA.
    06-14-09 09:52 AM
    Yea, thats what I ended up doing. shouldnt have had to, but oh well.. It works..
    06-14-09 09:58 AM
    Cool - thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone!

Nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with these glitches.

Any idea on updates or somewhere we can give feedback to VZW for the fix on some of these issues?

One thing I would love to add is a way to change the title of the voicemail so you could add a short sentence at the end of the caller ID with a note or reminder about a call. Again, if I have 10 messages they all say "Office Forward Call" - I'd love to be able to add - 'John Smith, Needs x report' or something along those lines. I don't delete them until I call the person back or do the task needed as a reminder but it would be nice if I didn't have to listen to the messages again to either hear what is needed or to figure out which one to delete after I'm done.

Thanks again!

Jay
    06-14-09 12:28 PM
    Cool - thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone!

Nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with these glitches.

Any idea on updates or somewhere we can give feedback to VZW for the fix on some of these issues?

One thing I would love to add is a way to change the title of the voicemail so you could add a short sentence at the end of the caller ID with a note or reminder about a call. Again, if I have 10 messages they all say "Office Forward Call" - I'd love to be able to add - 'John Smith, Needs x report' or something along those lines. I don't delete them until I call the person back or do the task needed as a reminder but it would be nice if I didn't have to listen to the messages again to either hear what is needed or to figure out which one to delete after I'm done.

Thanks again!

Jay

there is a application that does call note taking and such.. man I can't remember the name of it. I believe its here on crackberry and it was free can't remember .. it was worth while though..
    06-14-09 02:19 PM
    I think in either case I would start with uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Also, go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications > Visual Voicemail. While there, view the permissions of the app and make sure they are all set to Allow. If any say Prompt or Custom, change them to Allow... save and exit. Try the app again and see if the delays are gone now.

As for the red blinky... It took me uninstalling/reinstalling 3 times to correct that one, but now i have no issues at all with it.
    06-15-09 12:47 AM
    So the latest is that my VVM basically stopped working for a few days.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence with the 'official' upgrade or not but I wasn't getting ANY voicemails, then I would get a random one or two then none again. If I called in, I would have new voicemails but no indicator on my phone (I guess they turn off the vm notification when you have VVM).

I downloaded and reinstalled the vvm app and it seems to be working a bit better now.

Still having issues when I hit the play button I don't always get the message downloaded. What a PITA!!!!

I think Youmail might be in the cards.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips everyone. Please keep em coming!

I just hope there is an update to this crappy program soon.

Very disappointed in the execution!

Jay
    06-19-09 06:52 AM
    I was having the same problems you were and nothing seemed to work. There was no workaround for it. Just deleted and got youmail. That was a great fix!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 07:36 AM
    Ok, so I know people will recommend using Youmail and other services, etc.

I would like to keep this thread to troubleshooting and see if anyone can share some ideas about fixing VERIZON'S visual voicemail issues that I am experiencing.

If I can't get any love and get this stuff corrected I will definitely be checking out the other options but I want to try to get VZW VVM working as it should.

So here is the list of issues I am having with visual voicemail:

1. I often get a message saying that the system can't connect with the network and it asks me if I want to call into my voicemail number instead of using VVM. Is this just a bad cell area that creates this? I often get it while I'm on the phone and someone leaves a voicemail. Its just ridiculous that the voicemails can't just show up in the vvm screen and let you play them?!!?

2. Very often, when I go to listen to a voicemail through vvm there is a VERY long delay before it will start playing. Could be as long as 10 seconds. Seems like the system is trying to download the voicemail when I hit the play button instead of doing it in the background while I'm doing other things. Very frustrating!!

3. Many, Many times when I hit the play button either nothing happens or the time marker shoots all the way to the end and I have to hit play again or select the beginning of the time line to start over.

4. The controls seem WAYYYY too sensitive or inaccurate. Sometimes I hit play and it selects the next message down, sometimes it fast forwards the message. Often when I try to scroll to new messages it won't let me go past a certain part of the list to see below it.

5. Also, the markings for the messages get covered up when you select the play button so if you have a bunch of calls from the same number (for example, I get my calls forwarded from my office. They don't contain caller ID on the forward but I have all calls coming from that number listed as 'Office Forward Call'). So I could have 10 voicemails from that number and I need to see the date and time to determine which one I want to listen to. When you select the message the 'play' button covers the time stamp info.

So all in all, I'm not very pleased with Visual Voicemail but I'd like to see if I can make it work through the Verizon system for a coupple of reasons. If I can't, I can't but I'd like to see if others have experienced these problems and if they have any corrections that worked for them.

Thanks in advance!

Jay
    I had all of these issues, reinstall and they went away...
    My only problem is that whenever I delete a voice mail using VVM I still have to call my voice mail to delete the msg so my inbox won't get full!!! Any work around this issue?
    06-19-09 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD