Just read an article about the Niagra and speculation is that Wi-Fi was left out of the mix likely at the request of Verizon. I know it's a financial decision, but why do they let carriers have such say over a phones features? While I'm at it...isn't it about time we put all these exclusivity agreements to bed once and for all? Just tired of all these back room deals keeping us from certain models because our carrier doesn't have the rights to sell it and for carriers to be able to dictate features or the removal of them. Okay...rant is over.
    03-05-09 10:57 AM
    money

(.)
    03-05-09 11:00 AM
    Actually there IS a movement in the cellular industry to go towards open headset use. You will probably see this in most 4G phones. Even VZW is on board.
    03-05-09 11:03 AM
    Actually there IS a movement in the cellular industry to go towards open headset use. You will probably see this in most 4G phones. Even VZW is on board.
    whats open headset?
    03-05-09 11:26 AM
    whats open headset?
    He meant open handset, I believe.

With the majority (*cough* not Sprint thus far *cough*) well on their way to, or at the very least stating they will implement LTE for their 4G networks, the push is on to allow users to bring any device to any network. May involve a large, unsubsidized cost obviously if you want a particular phone only sold by provider A and you have sold your soul to provider B... but it should be a future option, not the way it seems to be now.
    03-05-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD