Hey ladies and gents.. I could not find any threads directly related to this so I am wondering...

Will Verizon Wireless ever be able to offer the customer a simultaneous voice/data service? In other words, be on a call and use data at the same time? I am pretty sure this is possible with GSM.
    12-08-08 10:46 AM
    My storm (on VZ) does not do simultaneous data / voice / messenger. I can get SMS/MMS while tethered though.

My Bold (on AT&T) can do everything simultaneous.

Paul
    12-08-08 11:00 AM
    That is funny that this brought up.. The Vodafone spot talks about the storm being able to do data and voice at the same time... It is right around the 40sec mark on there spot video. It also says the storm can do wi-fi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Pyrobuzz; 12-08-08 at 11:06 AM.
    12-08-08 11:03 AM
    This has been asked and answered before - please use the search function.

No in USA
    Yes in Europe.
    12-08-08 11:06 AM
    It is how CDMA operates. There was a thread on this here about 2-3 weeks ago.

Here is the thread

Hope this helps......
    12-08-08 11:06 AM
    Because of the way it is setup, No. EV-DO is integrated into the CDMA network and does not allow for both to work simutaneously. Reason been the EV-DO network for data. If they would have used EV-DV it would been able to do both as the DV stands for voice and data. The CDMA companys found it easier to go with EV-DO as it was easier to implement with their current CDMA network. It all started with Verizon going with EV-DO, Sprint was going to up one on Verizon but out of the blue decided to go with EV-DO which I believe was a bad move. EV-DV was far more efficient and faster than EV-DO, of course before Rev. A came. I personally would have liked that the CDMA companys have integrated the EV-DV network instead of EV-DO. But there was a problem if you would have integrated EV-DV you would have to build upon the EV-DV network, for the older handsets that didn't have EV-DV chipsets to work on the network. I think it got to complicated at the end and reason been why it was dropped eventually by Qualcomm after it's last partner Sprint left to support EV-DO.
    Last edited by FUSIBLE; 12-08-08 at 11:26 AM.
    12-08-08 11:08 AM
    That is funny that this brought up.. The Vodafone spot talks about the storm being able to do data and voice at the same time... It is right around the 40sec mark on there spot video. It also says the storm can do wi-fi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well the Vodafone Storm can, but CDMA Storm cannot.
    12-08-08 11:10 AM
    We have a thread on this every other day . . not a Storm limitation . . .a limitiation of CDMA network.
    12-08-08 11:14 AM
    That is one thing I did like about my curve from Tmo before I got my curve on vzw then the storm. The ability to do both voice and data at same time.

Hopefully the radio stack in the storm will support it when vzw comes around to upgrading if it is happening anytime soon. If not I am sure a better phone will be out by then if it is years out.
    12-08-08 11:15 AM
    Thanks for all the great answers. I did try a search by the way prior to posting this like I stated in my initial post but apparently the terms I used were incorrect. I really do appreciate your replies as they were all good explanations... Thanks again!
    12-08-08 11:21 AM
    The Verizon Storm CAN do data+voice, but not in the US. This is a limit of CDMA, not Verizon.

If you're overseas and using your Storm with a GSM network, you will be able to do both simultaneously.
    12-08-08 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD