I pay $30 bucks for 5 gigs.. and never came close to using it all up
    07-21-09 10:31 PM
    Not to fan the flames here guys because I'm new to BB's, but here's my setup.

I have a premium plan with 3 phones. Mine was the primary. When I switched from my glyde to the storm at the store, they made my phone secondary as they told me the BB could not be primary.

So, I also already had unlimited data on my primium plan. When I look at my plan now on line, I see a $15 increase on the primary line cost, which is up to $110 now. My BB is listed as secondary for $9.99 and the third phone on the list is $9.99.

I've not signed up for tethering as it's not something I really need. however, I can say that my BB is on a permium plan and is listed @ $9.99 from what I'm seeing. If it changes, I'll be sure to post up, but for now, this much of what the "rep" said is true.
    07-22-09 10:47 AM
    your phone is on a select bundle, if it was premium, it would cost you $29.99/month, to compensate for the individual line data feature.

the way premium plans work is this:

it's basically the select plan, with a $20.00/month increase PER line. with a premium plan, the primary is always premium, the secondarys have a choice of paying the extra $20, if they choose not to then they're basically a select plan.

so you have a premium plan, but the secondary line WITHOUT PAYING THE EXTRA $20 is only a SELECT PLAN.

GOD, i don't miss doing this for a living
    07-22-09 10:53 AM
    I didn't even think it was possible to have a bb on the connect or premium plans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's definitely possible, but the ethical Verizon reps will tell you it's not necessary to have a Blackberry with mobile web on it, since you already have the Blackberry data plan!

There was some dude on here a couple weeks ago that I was arguing with who was saying that his Blackberry costs $119/month for 900 minutes of calling plus data. Normally this plan costs like $90, but for some reason this dude was paying for Mobile Web. Some people just don't get it.
    07-22-09 11:37 AM
    Ok, not to make you relive your glory days

I'd love a real good explination as the reps at my local store don't like explaining anything for crap. Now I'm not an *****, I'm just not a cell phone freak. I'm a computer hardware/networking/OS freak. I just need my phone to make calls, get texts and now that I have a BB, handle e-mail correctly.

So, from what I told you about my plan, am I missing any features that I should have? Again, I don't need the tethering, hot spots are everywhere and thats why I carry a netbook most places. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something I should have or getting cornholed by the great red V.

If you prefer, just PM me Patches, I don't want to clutter up a good thread with my BS

Thanks.

your phone is on a select bundle, if it was premium, it would cost you $29.99/month, to compensate for the individual line data feature.

GOD, i don't miss doing this for a living
    07-22-09 01:06 PM
    It's definitely possible, but the ethical Verizon reps will tell you it's not necessary to have a Blackberry with mobile web on it, since you already have the Blackberry data plan!
    here we go again...

Mobile Web is not a feature or even an option with a Blackberry. If your account has it provisioned as a feature, then there is an error somewhere.

allow me to repeat myself:

YOU CANNOT HAVE A BLACKBERRY OR PDA ON A PREMIUM OR CONNECT PLAN SUCH AS IT IS!!!!

And here I thought Patches was on to something and that people would get the freakin clue. I guess I was wrong.

~~

Calimus-- from the little you posted, it sounds like you're spot-on. However, your primary line is what's considered to be the "Premium" plan, and your 2nd lines are considered "select secondary with premium primary". Patches did a good job explaining what you need to know. If your primary line is a premium, then your 2nd lines have the option of premium, connect, or select... device dependent. If your 2nd line is Premium, it's 29.99... if it's Connect, it's 19.99... if it's Select, it's 9.99.

You will never see a 2nd line on a premium or connect plan if you have a BB/PDA. If, by some stroke of a miracle, you see that, then there is a system error and eventually it will get scrubbed and corrected.

to summarize - YOU CANNOT HAVE A BLACKBERRY OR OTHER PDA ON A PREMIUM OR CONNECT PLAN SUCH AS IT IS!!!!

does that make sense now? can we PLEASE let this thread die?!
    07-22-09 06:02 PM
    Some people don't get it because some resellers don't get it or just charge them willy-nilly without the customer figuring it out.

I confess, when someone begins talking plans and data and numbers and charges I get really confused. But two months ago I was in my verizon reseller store (its not corporate obvs) and trying to figure out why my bill was so high. They still had me on mobile web (15 bucks right?) and that 900 mins thing. I haven't used more than 400 mins since a looooong time ago. So, because I went in there, I got a redux on my bill but no help for what I had already overpaid.

Verizon used to call me every six months to adjust my plan and be sure I was satisfied. Now it seems like all they care about is my money.

I understand they need to make money but I have been very disappointed with my service provider since I started this new contract and ill likely be going elsewhere ASAP.

There was some dude on here a couple weeks ago that I was arguing with who was saying that his Blackberry costs $119/month for 900 minutes of calling plus data. Normally this plan costs like $90, but for some reason this dude was paying for Mobile Web. Some people just don't get it.
    07-24-09 02:12 AM

#2 BAD - Verizon sales rep????? Go back and read your infomanager about tethering options. It doesn't matter what plan you're on, the tethering cost depends on what your data plan is. See #1 above. Also, the Connect and Premium plans are for regular phones, not PDA/BB's. It's true you can have a PDA/BB as a 2ndary line on those plans for the unlimited messaging, but it doesn't change what you pay for the tethering option, nor what your "savings" are.

Oh, and to clarify -- you are NOT a sales rep for Verizon Wireless. You work for "Z Wireless" who - apparently - is an authorized retailer for VZW ... and that means you were not hired by VZW, are not an employee of VZW, and so you are not a sales rep of VZW. You don't even know your own job and you want to come on here to give info?!
    LMAO! Laying the smack down!

Kind of funny, going through his post history...On 7-12 he says "I am a sales rep". Also on 7-12, different thread, "Being a store manager". On 7-15, "Being a sales manager".

So, what exactly are you?? Beyond confused and misinformed of course!! To freaking funny!

I'm a little embarrassed to be from the Iron Range of MN. right now!!

Wenty
    07-24-09 03:37 AM
    Thank you all for the info. I think it is clear now.
    I was considering using tetherberry, but do not want to get introuble, to me it is not worth it. How do people get away with using it?

Since I will not have an unlimited data plan, how can I tell when I am getting close to my limit and not go over?

Thanks again!
    Brooke
    Unless you are downloading music/movies or doing alot of streaming it is virtually impossible to go over the 5GB limit. Like one of the other posters said...it is not meant as a home internet replacement, but more for business people who need a connection for web/email while traveling etc.
    07-24-09 10:18 AM
    Yeah it being only five gigs is what I don't like why can't they make it unlimitedt

Do you know how much 5GB is if you are not downloading music/movies or streaming a ton?
    07-24-09 10:21 AM
    Monthly Access Charges
    Current Calling Plan 07/23 - 08/22 119.99
    Mobile Broadband Connect 5GB - 06/28 - 07/22 12.50
    TEC Advanced Devices - Asurion 07/23 - 08/22 7.99

Voice Allowance Used Billable Cost
    Calling Plan minutes 900 241 -- --
    Mobile to Mobile
    (06/28 - 07/22)
    minutes unlimited 575 -- --
    Night/Weekend minutes 105 -- --
    Total Voice $.00
    Data
    TXT Messaging
    (06/28 - 07/22)
    messages unlimited 323 -- --
    Unlimited M2M TXT
    (06/28 - 07/22)
    messages unlimited 282 -- --
    PIX-FLIX Messaging
    (06/28 - 07/22)
    messages unlimited 19 -- --
    V CAST Music Purchases purchases -- 2 2 --
    Megabyte Usage
    (06/28 - 07/22)
    megabytes unlimited 168 -- --

Data Allowance Used Billable Cost
    Mobile Broadband Connect
    (06/28 - 07/22)
    megabytes 5120 Used 71
    Total Data $.00
    Total Usage Charges $.00

I have the 900 minute plan unlimited data plan for the phone and the teatherd
    for 12.50 a month yes 5 gig cap which sucks but i understand the cap. So in short i get my 900 minutes and teathering to my computer for 12.50 a month and the 120.00 for the minutes txt pix data. Hope that kind of answers some questions and if it help out people great call verizon if you have the same plan but are paying more. So on my last bill iused 71 megs of my 5 gigs i used it for email and web stuff when I'm away from a internet connection. I would like more or unlimited but if verizon does that then they should just change there name to ATT. Thanks to the IPHONE it has killed ATT's service. When i do a speedtest on my blackberry to my computer i had hit 1.6 megs a sec before so for simple stuff on the net it works great. If it was unlimited i would kill my cable internet and just used my phone. Maybe in the future that will happen time will tell.
    Last edited by slinkytoy; 07-27-09 at 11:34 PM.
    07-27-09 11:29 PM
    Live Cam Feed 1 espnnn com

Wemens Needs toysrhers com
    01-14-10 09:52 PM
    I was a lucky gal. I got the wireless internet over 5 yrs ago and it is unlimited. I am due for my upgrade in March and can early upgrade now. I am not going to because I don't want to lose that plan. I had thought about tethering my BB and canceling out the contract in march but I like the freedom with the USB. I am very used to it. I know I would save 30 a month but what keeps me from tethering is if something happened with my BB and then I would be out of not being able to use my laptop. It has happened. For that reason, I won't tether
    01-14-10 11:42 PM
    I was wondering what my "Unlimited" really meant to and I went into the VWZ store, told the technician (not sales rep) I wanted to know if I'd get charged for heavy usage of Slacker radio, just listed to about 5-6 hours the other day, and his answer was it's "unlimited", no caps. I'm on the $30/month data plan with my Storm 2. I'll see when I get my bill, but my usage as of today on my phone's app says 331637.07 KB and doesn't have a cap listed next to it.
    01-15-10 09:56 AM
    Harringg,,,

On your bb unit itself you are unlimited. The 5g cap only refers to using your bb as a modem. You can do anything you want from the browser of your bb with no additional fee. you can use slacker, facebook, myspace, aim, yahoo msngr, all those other apps on you bb at no additional cost.

I have been using the storm as a modem for over a year now and the closest I have ever gotten to the 5g cap was last month, I hit 2.7g. I used my wifes bb and my bb as a direct replacement for in house internet. and no longer have a land line phone. I pay 175 a month for two bb both tethered with I think 500 minutes, (but everyone I know has a verizon phone, so I never come close to the minutes.)

The only thing that we have done that I noticed was a drain to the 5g cap was we watched one netflix movie online through the bb and it was like .5g so I would def not watch netflix movies while tethered, but other than that, it will be really hard to hit the 5g cap. Like stated before the new vz access manager pops up automatically your usage for the month, I believe it even states your reset date.
    01-15-10 11:43 AM
    @Feeeeg

Thanks for clarifying. I'm new to the whole BB scene. Does VZW know it's being used as a modem with Tether? I thought that was the whole reason for that app, it treated tethering as a browser usage not modem.

Thanks
    01-15-10 12:13 PM
    I cannot speak for 3rd party apps, but when you use the vz access manager it uses your bb as a modem, really easy to setup on the laptop/pc.

While using your bb as a modem you will not be able to do anything with the bb that involves data, it essentially shuts off data to your bb.

The only thing that can be done, is txt and phone, although I will say that if you get a call and answer it while you are tethered, it will stop your data coming in as modem, in other words your laptop will seem to lag. You usually will not need to reconnect the vz access it will automatically start to go again once you hang up the phone.

I hope that info helps.
    01-15-10 12:34 PM
    @Feeeeg

Thanks for clarifying. I'm new to the whole BB scene. Does VZW know it's being used as a modem with Tether? I thought that was the whole reason for that app, it treated tethering as a browser usage not modem.

Thanks
    VZN may become suspicious if your usage increases by an abnormal amount compared to most users. If you are using a third party app, you should be careful not to use to an extreme such as downloading a lot of movies, pictures, songs, or staying connected and moving data for extended periods of time.
    01-15-10 01:03 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD