Hey everyone,

I have an issue with my Storm on Verizon. It appears that I can not use TCP as an option in some of my applications, like BeeJiveIM. Yes I know there is not a storm-specific release yet, however it does work in compatibility mode, assuming you use BIS.

What I am concerned about is that with my Curve on Verizon, I could connect with beejive using either BIS or TCP. I assume TCP is just direct data over verizons network without routing to RIMs servers. So I could use TCP on my Curve but not on my Storm. When I do a network auto configuration test with Beejive, it shows BIS http/tcp and TCP-http as "OK" but for TCP - Socket it shows "Failed (null)". On my curve, it says "OK". Has anyone else encountered an issue with this?

I am thinking this is also the issue that is affected jmirc and vlirc2, which I can not get to connect to any IRC servers at all on my storm but works fine on my curve.

I am currently running 4.7.0.90
    01-27-09 10:19 AM
    I guess a better question at this point would be: Does plain old TCP (socket) work with the verizon storm? (not going through BIS)
    01-27-09 11:53 PM
    One last shot before I let this post die off...Is anyone here using blackberry network apps on a verizon storm WITHOUT going through BIS? I am just trying to figure out if BIS is the only network connectivity option for the storm or if it also supports standard TCP - Socket where the data just goes right out over verizon's network WITHOUT going to Blackberry's Servers first (BIS).

For example, I cannot get any IRC apps to work on my storm at all, they all timeout with a socket error. These apps do not support BIS, they are trying to connect directly via TCP. These same apps work perfectly fine on my curve on verizons network. This leads me to believe that either my storm has a configuration issue or direct TCP is not supported on the Storm.

Can anyone confirm if the verizon storm can use direct TCP or if BIS is the only options? To avoid some confusion, I have a data plan and I don't mind going through BIS, however I assume I should also be able to use direct TCP in this case.
    01-28-09 10:05 AM
    I am also having an issue trying to use TCP connections on the Storm with Verizon. I based a program on the socket connection example in the jde and it works fine in the simulator. When I load it onto the Storm it appears I can open a socket successfully and send a packet but I always just get two bytes back. Is there some protocol other than direct TCP I'm supposed to be using or what?
    02-26-09 08:59 PM
    Just an update. I did end up being able to send and receive tcp packets on the Storm with Verizon using the direct TCP method. So it is definitely supported.
    02-27-09 02:53 PM
    Just an update. I did end up being able to send and receive tcp packets on the Storm with Verizon using the direct TCP method. So it is definitely supported.
    Hi, Zav,

Glad that you shared this important message!

Did you have to set APN under Options | Advanced Options | TCP ? Could you briefly describe how to make a successful socket connection on Storm under carrier verizon?

thx in advance!

Thumb
    04-19-09 10:04 PM
    Did you have to set APN under Options | Advanced Options | TCP ?
    I do have APN Settings checked, not sure if this matters though.

Could you briefly describe how to make a successful socket connection on Storm under carrier verizon?
    So I did this by making my own program to send and receive simple tcp packets. I based it on the SocketDemo included with the JDE.
    The following code works:

Code:
        private InputStreamReader _in;
        private OutputStreamWriter _out;  

String url = "socket://address.address.net:5551;deviceside=true";                                    
                connection = (StreamConnection)Connector.open(url);
                _screen.updateDisplay("Connection open");
                _in = new InputStreamReader(connection.openInputStream());
                _out = new OutputStreamWriter(connection.openOutputStream());            
                exchange("Message");
                _in.close();
                _out.close();
                connection.close();
    So there's no APN settings or weird stuff you need to do with Verizon. Essentially you open up the connection and send. I do seem to have an issue with how it parses the message into TCP packets. It seems to chop up the message into multiple packets even when the message is very short.

-Zav
    04-27-09 11:38 AM
    Uncheck APN and leave all the fields blank. APN is not needed for socket functionality under Verizon. I also hope that you didn't mess with putting something in under APN at one time or another. (Under OS4.5 there was a bug that if you put in something in there that even if you took it out, socket traffic still wouldn't work. A security wipe was the only way to fix it.)

BTW, OperaMini uses SOCKS for it's traffic. That's why you can use OM when RIM's network is down and surf the web.
    04-27-09 12:10 PM
    I have a bb 9530 on verizon and unchecking all my apn settings did not work. I`m getting the same message, "general socket error". any other ideas why I would be getting this message?
    06-08-09 03:30 AM
    Any word on extra charges with going to a straight TCP connection on any program?
    08-01-09 07:38 PM
    I would be interested to hear if any additional information is available on this issue. I've been searching the forums and haven't found much. I'm having similar problems. I use a TCP connection for direct push email synchronization with my corporate email account and the TCP connection definitely works but my radio signal ends up turning off several times a day. This isn't a problem if I use a scheduled push over a BIS connection. Any additional insights on this TCP issue?
    01-14-10 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD