As I said in a previous post somewhere around CB, my storm has dust under the screen and the click doesn't work around the corners. (I did the paper under the battery cover and everything, but want a working click screen from the get-go before my warranty ends).

Anyway, I went to the Verizon store and after about an hour, told the guy my problem. He went to the back and "fixed" the clicking issue. What he really did was just put a business card under the battery cover (i took my paper out from under there so he could see the issue). Then, when I said I still want a new device due to the dust (which is getting worse and worse day-to-day), he said, "well, you're always gonna get dust under the screen on this device." Am I not entitled to get another device before my warranty ends, and also before I can't see anything on the screen due to the dust?!?

I can deal with the quick fix of the clicking, but I feel like as soon as my warranty ends, the dust will get really bad and I won't be able to do anything.

Any ideas, opinions, or comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    08-04-09 11:48 PM
    Get an otterbox case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 11:59 PM
    I currently work for VZW and if you have to place anything under the battery case to make the phone work correctly something is obviously wrong with the device. To me it sounds like the device is not working the way Blackberry intended the device to work. Call customer service and let them know that the battery will not stay in the device with out placing paper under the cover or go to another location and let them know the issues you are having.
    08-05-09 12:01 AM
    Charles, that is wrong. If you look anywhere on the internet, that is the way to make the phone click better.
    08-05-09 12:43 AM
    What the representative in the store said is true... you will get more dust under the screen. A replacement phone is just going to be a temporary fix. All phone's get dust inside. It just so happens that the Storm happens to be able to get dust under the screen. I understand the annoyance of dust under the screen because I had it too. I decided I would prefer trying to fix it myself because I personally understood that it wasn't a warranty issue. Plus the problem really wasn't that bad. The dust did not make the screen unreadable, just unattractive. (If yours is seriously unreadable or unviewable... I think I'd consider that neglect [which is not a warranty issue]) I found some videos on YouTube about how to get the top screen off and wipe underneath it. Well... the instructions looked pretty easy, but I skimped on giving myself enough time and the tools I used and ended up breaking my screen. I got an insurance replacement that works perfectly and has no dust. I decided that this time I'll take better care to not keep the phone in my pocket without a case or pouch.
    08-05-09 01:49 AM
    I've had my Storm for almost a year now... and my screen is actually still clicking fine. There is obviously some dust, but just in the gap, not under the screen or anything. its not interfering with anything
    08-05-09 02:16 AM
    I had the same problem and they gave me a new storm. They should do the same, so demand another one.
    08-05-09 02:27 AM
    I don't see why they have to be responsible because you got dust in your phone. That has nothing to do with them. Neither does the clicking issue.. Unless its totally broken somehow like you dropping it..
    08-05-09 02:35 AM
    I don't see why they have to be responsible because you got dust in your phone. That has nothing to do with them. Neither does the clicking issue..
    Thank you!

Unless its totally broken somehow like you dropping it..
    Which would then be an insurance issue if applicable.
    08-05-09 02:53 AM
    I don't see why they have to be responsible because you got dust in your phone. That has nothing to do with them. Neither does the clicking issue.. Unless its totally broken somehow like you dropping it..
    Are you kidding me? Getting dust under the screen doesn't "just happen". I have absolutely zero dust under my screen after keeping it in dusty pockets, it rolling around on the floor of my car, and sanding paint with it sitting right next to me. ALSO, the screen click issue is their responsibility. Your phone should work when you get it, not just mostly work... or kind of work.

OP, go to a different store, talk to a different rep, or call customer service. You should be able to get a replacement for your storm.
    08-05-09 07:30 AM
    i havent had any dust under my screen. i keep a screen protector on it, and a blue snap on case. i keep it in my pocket.

i work in a corporate VZW store, i've FRU'd out a couple Storms for dust under the screen, even though we're not supposed to...
    08-05-09 07:41 AM
    Call customer service. Complain about the extreme heat coming from the battery compartment and the smell of burning dust. Don't forget to mention that in the center of your screen it looks like some type of burn in' is occurring. A replacement will be on the way before you hang up.

08-05-09 07:49 AM

Are you serious!!!! I fly for the Air Force and recently just got back from Afghanistan. Do you think there might be dust there?!!!!! I have been in more sand storms than any one person should have to endure and guess what no dust or sand or anything else under the screen. I keep mine in the leather pouch that my daughters Curve came in and in my flight suit pocket and I am pretty sure I have emptied plenty of sand and dust out of it.
    08-05-09 08:14 AM
    I currently work for VZW and if you have to place anything under the battery case to make the phone work correctly something is obviously wrong with the device. To me it sounds like the device is not working the way Blackberry intended the device to work. Call customer service and let them know that the battery will not stay in the device with out placing paper under the cover or go to another location and let them know the issues you are having.
    And while you're at it, also get the id1ots name that went in the back and put paper under your battery door so you can get his dumbass fired. People like that should not work there.

I don't have an issue with placing things "under the battery" because that's how my pokadot fix works, but I would at least inform the customer that this sort of problem would return (which it does) even on a new unit and give them the option to still replace or do the fix. I would never pretend that I just fixed it and that's how it's going to be so the customer would have to live with it because it was my decision. That's grounds for termination if you ask me.
    08-05-09 08:37 AM
    And while you're at it, also get the id1ots name that went in the back and put paper under your battery door so you can get his dumbass fired. People like that should not work there.

I don't have an issue with placing things "under the battery" because that's how my pokadot fix works, but I would at least inform the customer that this sort of problem would return (which it does) even on a new unit and give them the option to still replace or do the fix. I would never pretend that I just fixed it and that's how it's going to be so the customer would have to live with it because it was my decision. That's grounds for termination if you ask me.
    Exactly what I was about to say. If you decide to use one of those quick fixes on ur own thats ur perogative...but Verizon should not be puttin credit cards, paper, or anything else of that nature in ur phone to make it click better. If I went to Verizon for a clicking issue I would either expect factory tools to be put in the phone to fix the issue (which isnt happenin!) or i'd expect what I paid for...a fully functional phone. Anybody who thinks ur wrong for expecting and derserving that is an 1diot.

As far as the dust thing goes. I've never had that issue and i'm confused as to why others struggle with it so much. I think its something that could be avoided...i've been successful in that regard since January. Just my take tho.
    08-05-09 08:51 AM
    Charles, that is wrong. If you look anywhere on the internet, that is the way to make the phone click better.
    Sorry to bust ur bubble but Charles is absolutely right. That's the way us techie ppl try to work around the problem at home...that's not how Verizon should be fixing the phone. There should be no screen clicking issue, and if there is, its a factory defect and the customer deserves a new phone (not one half of a visa debit card....you kidding me???).
    08-05-09 08:54 AM
    Please ignore this man, and Tim that is agreeing with him.

You should immediately call 800-922-0204 and tell them your problem. don't "demand" a new phone, just ask them to fix your phone, or ask what you should do about it. They will overnight you (or 2 day sometimes) a new or refurb phone.

The dust under the screen is NOT your fault unless you've physically disassembled the device. It is a known defect from the manufacturer. The good news is, out of the many many storms I've had, only my first one had managed to get dust under the screen.

The screen clicking also is NOT your fault. Once again, manufacturers defect. This is also a known issue, and they will exchange out a new phone for you. You don't have to put up with this business card trick, felt pads (although better than business card) or adjusting the torx screws crap.

just remember, don't be a **** ( j e r k ) when you call. don't demand anything, not yet anyway. do feel free to ask for another CSR, or ask for a floor Supervisor if you're not getting the service you provide.

If they are going to note something in your account, make them read it back to you. Get a name/extension of that CSR. Call back and verify with someone else that the note does actually exist on your account.

Good luck!
    Last edited by spampeg; 08-05-09 at 09:13 AM. Reason: my "profanity"
    08-05-09 09:09 AM
    LoL. Forget it. If you want a seal tight phone.

iPhone all the way. If you can mind the dust then stay with your storm.

I will stand by my words saying it has nothing to do with Verizon.
    08-05-09 10:24 AM
    Wait why would Verizon fix your phone using a business card I am pretty sure they weren't trained to do that you should go back and not accept that as a fix

08-05-09 10:33 AM
    That rep probably goes on this forum or another similar to it. xD
    08-05-09 10:55 AM
    LoL. Forget it. If you want a seal tight phone.

iPhone all the way. If you can mind the dust then stay with your storm.

I will stand by my words saying it has nothing to do with Verizon.
    I live in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I'm surrounded by 25 miles of corn and bean fields. I live in a 90 year old farmhouse with two kids, two dogs, a cat and bird. I cycle, next to the farm fields 10-20 miles a day, usually everyday. I do yard work, mow, till, you name it. I've been tearing out plaster and lath of my house. I smoke.

If anyone should have dust under their screen, it should be me. If the phone, yes, even a Storm, is manufactured properly, the screen is sealed tight as can be.

You're right. It has nothing to do with Verizon, it has everything to do with the Quality control at RIM. If the phone you have isn't the way it should be, don't whine about it, take it BACK.
    08-05-09 11:18 AM
    Call customer service. Complain about the extreme heat coming from the battery compartment and the smell of burning dust. Don't forget to mention that in the center of your screen it looks like some type of burn in' is occurring. A replacement will be on the way before you hang up.

And if that doesn't work - come on back. Someone else will come up with some lies. Even if you have to commit fraud, someone will be glad to help you get a new phone.
    08-05-09 11:28 AM
    verizon should/can/ and will replace your phone for both the clicking issue and dust under the screen. I had my unit replaced back around feb for the same issues....wasnt clicking in the corners and alot of dust under the screen. Called and talked to CS and the sent me a replacement.....here it it 6 months later....clicking still perfect...not one spec of dust
    08-05-09 11:33 AM
    I live in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I'm surrounded by 25 miles of corn and bean fields. I live in a 90 year old farmhouse with two kids, two dogs, a cat and bird. I cycle, next to the farm fields 10-20 miles a day, usually everyday. I do yard work, mow, till, you name it. I've been tearing out plaster and lath of my house. I smoke.

If anyone should have dust under their screen, it should be me. If the phone, yes, even a Storm, is manufactured properly, the screen is sealed tight as can be.

You're right. It has nothing to do with Verizon, it has everything to do with the Quality control at RIM. If the phone you have isn't the way it should be, don't whine about it, take it BACK.
    Its a fact that dust is everywhere. Its unstoppable. You can't blame RIM or Verizon for that.

Even on my Pearl I had dust. Nothing I can do. On my old motorola phones had dust in the them. etc etc etc.

The problem is just because the phone has dust in there that shouldn't provide the right of saying "this phone is now useless or has problems because of the dust so I need an exchange or something else"

Then again.. Humans are selfish.. can't help that there.. lol
    08-05-09 11:35 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD