Spoke to VZ Blackberrry tech support this past Saturday. They received a bulletin that RIM needs serial numbers of all flawed clicking phones so that they can trace the problem. They are aware of the issue, and for everyones sake hopefully coming up with a permanent fix!
    12-22-08 08:02 AM
    I hope all the issues with the phone is fixed by the time I'm ready to switch to a new service..
    12-22-08 08:41 AM
    I hope this means they'll fix all phones that have problems for free.
    12-22-08 08:43 AM
    so this means any refurbs or replacements should have good clicking screens... thats comforting.
    12-22-08 08:54 AM
    Like I said, a quiet hardware fix will be implemented to fix the screen clicking by the end of January.

Perhaps they've been reading these forums and sliding in a business card behind the battery straight from the factory :P
    12-22-08 08:56 AM
    next up, they have to fix the dust issue under the screen.
    12-22-08 09:08 AM
    I havn't had a single clicking problem since i got mine...not quite sure what you guys are talking there ..but as far as the dust problem is concerned, i did notice it piling up around and under the screen, i got one of those spray dusters and it cleaned it all up ....it would however be good to have a permenant fix
    12-22-08 09:18 AM
    I've noticed lately that when the phone gets a little cold, the screen won't click at all. It's almost as if the screen won't pop back up. Usually if I shake it a little or warm it with my hands, it will work fine then. Only started happening for the last 2 weeks or so.
    12-22-08 09:38 AM
    Metal contracts in cold. It's possible there's a dome issue with the screen button. You'd think RIM would have tested these in a cold environment just to be sure. I swear, sometimes I wonder just how funny it would be to go visit RIM's facility in Canada and watch everyone walking around the building with horse blinders on. I think it would be pretty funny.
    12-22-08 09:40 AM
    AMEN! They have finally owned up to the problem. I had one of those screen, but fortunately my replacement Storm was fine.

PS JR you picked the PERFECT avatar.
    12-22-08 09:47 AM
    Metal contracts in cold. It's possible there's a dome issue with the screen button. You'd think RIM would have tested these in a cold environment just to be sure. I swear, sometimes I wonder just how funny it would be to go visit RIM's facility in Canada and watch everyone walking around the building with horse blinders on. I think it would be pretty funny.
    Lol. It is pretty odd since here in Waterloo, Ontario it has been freezing cold and it has been since this damn device came out. Silly RIM.
    12-22-08 09:52 AM
    I havn't had a single clicking problem since i got mine...not quite sure what you guys are talking there

+1

I have two, one for me, one for my wife, and no issues.
    12-22-08 09:58 AM
    not all the units are "defective" (to be fair, they aren't defective, the click just isn't as satisfying as on other units)

i suspect a change was already implemented for the 2nd batch of storms shipped out early december

Mine came from Canada, build date 12/2/08, screen clicks decently, the only area that is hard to depress is right above the blackberry button (not a corner)
    12-22-08 10:06 AM
    Well, I can say atleast 3 good things come from this.

1. RIM is agrees that there is a screen click problem. (more than some other manufacturers do)

2. They are trying to find a solution

3. if you call verizon with this issue they should be able to replace your phone w/o problems since it is a known issue anyways.
    12-22-08 10:09 AM
    With temp changes things contract and expand, yes. I've been in cold, dry, moist, and hot temps and my Storm works just fine.
    12-22-08 10:10 AM
    i've had mine in about 50 degrees variance and it has always worked fine

and unless RIM actually says something, i wouldn't believe a CSR
    12-22-08 10:29 AM
    Well, I can say atleast 3 good things come from this.

1. RIM is agrees that there is a screen click problem. (more than some other manufacturers do)

2. They are trying to find a solution

3. if you call verizon with this issue they should be able to replace your phone w/o problems since it is a known issue anyways.
    agreed. Before, even after going to the verizon store the rep almost deinied me because of it saying it was normal for 1 corner to not click at all
    12-22-08 10:29 AM
    it was normal for 1 corner to not click at all
    ROFL!!!! What an dumbasss!!!!
    12-22-08 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD