I woke up this morning to find a new button on my Storm homepage for VCast. I have intentionally not installed this software. I haven't even synced my Storm with the Desktop Manager software in several days as I really have no need now since I use Google's Blackberry Calendar/Contacts Sync. But when I did connect to the Desktop Manager I avoided clicking on installing the Rapsody or Vcast software. But like I said I haven't even plugged my Storm into my PC for quite a few days.

But there it is this morning, great big V on the VCast button. I didn't ask for it nor did I download it. So my question is how did it get there. I don't want to over react, but I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

I don't think I like the idea that Verizon could do it of their own accord (if in fact they did)
    11-28-08 08:14 AM
    I recently switched from Sprint(with a BB 8830 world edition) i kept getting ridiculous charges from them and i was on a simply everything plan for $100, but sprint always found a way to bump the charges up there, and they would say that i opt'd for this and that..... i just yesterday cancelled my sprint and switched to verizon, with the BB Storm. i dont have my phone yet due to the fact that i am offshore working but as soon as i get home i will be able to see what everyone is talking about!

As for the service provider pushing data to your phone without permission, if indeed that is what they did then yes that is very F'd up, however all of these "smart phones" (i have noticed) do an update to the network, all the time throughout the day.....a suggestion would be to call the service provider technical support and tell them to take that off of your account so when your phone automatically updates itself it does NOT put unwanted programs on your phone.

this might not be exactly how the system works as far as how your phone is getting that icon if you never synced it up, but it is a thought to try out!
    11-28-08 08:22 AM
    I also saw the mysterious Vcast icon appear yesterday. I immediately tried to uninstall the app but see now record of it in Applications. I simply moved it to another folder for the time being.
    11-28-08 08:25 AM
    Click on it and see if it actually works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 08:27 AM
    Don't worry its just a icon to download it nothing more it didn't install it and it is now available in the application store you can probably just highlight the icon hit the blackberry key and hit delete

11-28-08 08:32 AM
    Hmmm. I actually have always liked Verizon. I have never liked companies installing all there junk before I buy a product but accept is as just another form of advertising. But I just can't swallow, them pushing a product on me especially one like VCast, with out asking if I would like to accept. The only thing I could think of that would be worse, would be if I woke up this morning to find VZ Navigator back on my phone. I just don't think they have the right, and now that another user has confirmed it happend to them, well, I'm just not liking this situation at all.

I may do what eucsstamticc suggested, but I'm not sure I don't want my phone updating with the network. I don't see the harm in that. I just have a real problem with the force feeding of apps. Especially once that they already gouge you on price for.

I don't want to always be wondering and having to look to see what might have been installed without my knowledge. But I'm sure there's something somewhere in some agreement that I signed or accepted somewhere along the way with out reading cuase who ever does that gives them permission to send me what ever they want. I just think it's low.
    11-28-08 08:33 AM
    Don't worry its just a icon to download it nothing more it didn't install it and it is now available in the application store you can probably just highlight the icon hit the blackberry key and hit delete

That would make me feel a little better, but I still didn't subscribe to that. I don't mind apps popping up in the Applications app since it only happens when I ask for it.
    11-28-08 08:35 AM
    Facebook is pushed via service books to my phone. As stated above it's not installed until you download the app. Just hide it. The launcher doesn't take up much memory. i'm not too fond of that practice either.

Here's another example:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/tro...escreen-46771/

Last edited by chrisy520; 11-28-08 at 08:39 AM.
    11-28-08 08:35 AM
    Nope, it's there in all its glory. I just clicked on the button despite my better judgment and it asks me to accept their user agreement.

Again, my problem is I didn't ask for it. I'm not worried about how easy it is not to click on it, or to just hide it or move it. My problem is it was forced on me and now I have to always wonder what else is going to be pushed with out my permission. Heck, what might they be pulling?
    11-28-08 08:39 AM
    I had it pop up in the app launcher but not on the phone. I did however install it to see what it is all about. Lame and cheesy for a 3.2 meg app. Just shows albums you can purchase. Not really good albums at that.

They should have went in this with Apple but I know that would never happen since this go up against iphone and also verizon gave apple the finger when it comes to the iphone.
    11-28-08 08:40 AM
    Nope, it's there in all its glory. I just clicked on the button despite my better judgment and it asks me to accept their user agreement.

Again, my problem is I didn't ask for it. I'm not worried about how easy it is not to click on it, or to just hide it or move it. My problem is it was forced on me and now I have to always wonder what else is going to be pushed with out my permission. Heck, what might they be pulling?
    I remember someone else stating the same thing in a post last night. Wonder why some of us are getting it like you did and others are not. Did someone hit the wrong button on a group of the storm phones and not on the other groups?
    11-28-08 08:42 AM
    You need to turn off auto refresh in the app center. Mines off and I don't have the icon on my phone but it is in the app center.
    11-28-08 08:42 AM

THIS PROGRAM IS NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR DEVICE! if you accept the user agreement it take you to a download page. this is just a shortcut to the download page.

people need to stop rambling about something if they do not know what they are talking about. verizon cant push a 3.2 mb file to your phone for the fun of it! my god people!!!
    11-28-08 08:44 AM

Once you accept thr agreement THEN it will DL

11-28-08 08:46 AM
    I agree I don't like the idea of VZ deliberately pushing software on us. If we want it we can download it. Fortunately, so far I haven't seen VCast pushed onto my Storm yet.
    11-28-08 08:50 AM
    I agree I don't like the idea of VZ deliberately pushing software on us. If we want it we can download it. Fortunately, so far I haven't seen VCast pushed onto my Storm yet.
    If you don't want it delete it. Some people get stuff like that and end up enjoying it without asking for it. The only time this would truly be an issue is if they sent it to you on a limited data plan.

11-28-08 08:55 AM
    THIS PROGRAM IS NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR DEVICE! if you accept the user agreement it take you to a download page. this is just a shortcut to the download page.

people need to stop rambling about something if they do not know what they are talking about. verizon cant push a 3.2 mb file to your phone for the fun of it! my god people!!!
    I never said it was INSTALLED on my device. I said I have avoided installing it to this point. I also said I never downloaded it. But my point is I didn't ask for the button to be there. It's appropriate for it to be in the app store. Not on my home screen. I've installed more than a dozen apps on my phone so I know how the process works.

"The button in all it's glory leading to the process to download, install, and access the VCast software to my phone was put on my home page with out my consent." Hope that clears up my position.

If it doesn't bother you then that's fine. It bothers me. If you don't like the conversation then don't post to this thread. I'm not typically fond of arrogant hot heads anyway, so there really won't be any loss in not having your comments. Sorry for the rant, but since you're the only one I read over reacting, I felt it was warranted.
    11-28-08 09:04 AM
    If you don't want it delete it. Some people get stuff like that and end up enjoying it without asking for it. The only time this would truly be an issue is if they sent it to you on a limited data plan.

I can appreciate that point of view. Often times if you don't know about a product, you don't know what you're missing. I just like to keep it clean, and I guess it bothers me a little more than it should that it just happened with out my asking for it. But that's just me.
    11-28-08 09:07 AM
    I never said it was INSTALLED on my device. I said I have avoided installing it to this point. I also said I never downloaded it. But my point is I didn't ask for the button to be there. It's appropriate for it to be in the app store. Not on my home screen. I've installed more than a dozen apps on my phone so I know how the process works.

"The button in all it's glory leading to the process to download, install, and access the VCast software to my phone was put on my home page with out my consent." Hope that clears up my position.

If it doesn't bother you then that's fine. It bothers me. If you don't like the conversation then don't post to this thread. I'm not typically fond of arrogant hot heads anyway, so there really won't be any loss in not having your comments. Sorry for the rant, but since you're the only one I read over reacting, I felt it was warranted.
    I feel the same way that it should not be on the home screen it should in the app store. i got the icon after i shut the device off and a battery pull. Afte the phone booted the icon was there. I deleted the service book for it an it is now gone. I then shut the phone off again and pulled the battery and now it is back. They should put it in the app store!
    11-28-08 09:10 AM
    I hate to say this but...

You own the phone.
    Verizon owns the software that runs it.

That means they can push and update the OS as they see fit. They cannot charge you anything without your permission. But they can push an icon onto THEIR OS whenever they want.
    11-28-08 09:15 AM
    If you buy a regular phone on Verizon you get the vcast stuff automatically. Would you cry about that as well? Its their service, get over it.

11-28-08 09:19 AM
    I downloaded it too. I like it. I dont know if i will buy from it but they do have alot of tracks I like.
    11-28-08 09:21 AM

You own the phone.

That means they can push and update the OS as they see fit. They cannot charge you anything without your permission. But they can push an icon onto THEIR OS whenever they want.
    Good point.
    11-28-08 09:22 AM

You own the phone.

That is like saying gatway owns the OS that they load onto your laptop. Yet you go to microsoft for updates. Why not go to gateway for your updates?

11-28-08 09:26 AM
    Yea seriously people. The last few posts have it right. Most of their phones come with VCast already on it, they just hadn't made it storm compatible yet. It's not like they have other companies pushing their stuff on you with updates. I'd be pissed if once a week or even once a month we got new download icons for other things that aren't owned by verizon. The fact is its their product so they can put their applications on it.

The VCast icon isn't even ON your phone, it's just there telling you you can install it. You can either hide it (as it takes up no space) or if you really want you can go into the service books in advanced options and delete it.

But it really doesn't matter, Verizon can do what they want with their software -- only if 3rd party software starts getting pushed will I get pissed.
    11-28-08 09:26 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD