why are people pissed off about the pushing of some application installers but not pissed off about all the application installers that came with the phone? I mean its like they are giving us more optional features. Just hide them like you did with the other stuff the phone came with that you don't use. It's not a big deal.
    07-17-09 11:10 AM
    I'd just like to point out to the OP and whoever else is supporting them. Yes, it's annoying.

BUT!!!!

If you were one of the top cellular providers in the country and a company offered you money just to have a link to their software pushed as an option to download to your customers, would that not seem like a good business move?

People complain about corporations but if you could make the money they make off the decisions they make..... you would. Don't lie.
    07-17-09 11:11 AM
    I'd just like to point out to the OP and whoever else is supporting them. Yes, it's annoying.

BUT!!!!

If you were one of the top cellular providers in the country and a company offered you money just to have a link to their software pushed as an option to download to your customers, would that not seem like a good business move?

People complain about corporations but if you could make the money they make off the decisions they make..... you would. Don't lie.
    So, you like telemarketers calling you in the middle of the night as well? It's the same thing... why be picky with that? The issue here is, they have their own means of advertizing these apps. They have their own mobile website that launches (if set to) each time you start the Browser. They can put the damn downloads on that. As far as I'm concerned, this is spamming and should not be allowed. It won't be long until someone wastes some courts time with a lawsuit for this. They and all carriers should just reevaluate their options on if VPLs is a good way to conduct business. A suggested option is to give the customers an option to call in and request the VPLs removed from their account (just like T-Mobile does). That way, they still get their advertising push dollars, but also give US the option to tear up that junk mail if we don't want to file it. Everyone's happy....
    07-17-09 11:22 AM
    why are people pissed off about the pushing of some application installers but not pissed off about all the application installers that came with the phone? I mean its like they are giving us more optional features. Just hide them like you did with the other stuff the phone came with that you don't use. It's not a big deal.
    You keep saying the same thing over and over. We all know these can be hidden - that's not the complaint. And there's a substantial difference between applications "included" with an operating system at the time of purchase and items that are "forced" to your device.

Not sure why you don't see the difference between the two, but whatever.
    Last edited by grgiwoyna; 07-18-09 at 11:34 AM.
    07-18-09 11:27 AM
    Not sure how, but I don't see this latest pushed link on my BB. After numerous pulls, no link. Wanted to find it to hide the dumb thing. Looked in Application Center, Application and Download folders nor is it on the main screen. Yeah

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 08:51 AM
    I create a folder called "Junk You Cant Delete" and put all this "crap" in there. Then I hide it.

I put "all" applications not a part of the BB base, that can not be completely removed into this category and then hence forth make a mental note to place those service providers into a special class I reserve for "thieves".

TheWitness
    07-19-09 10:47 AM
    I agree that this is BS. I know I can hide it, but I still don't want the clutter on my phone. Why can't I just delete it? Absolutely ridiculous!
    07-19-09 11:12 AM
    I'm serious guys, just call VZW's Blackberry support and let them know you don't want any of these VPLs. Take the 5 minutes if you can when you've got nothing else that you're doing. It will pay off in the long run... it's a simple change they can implement and they should give us (their subscribers) the choice on if we want the pushed VPLs or not. IT SHOULD BE OUR OPTION.
    07-19-09 12:00 PM
    I'm serious guys, just call VZW's Blackberry support and let them know you don't want any of these VPLs. Take the 5 minutes if you can when you've got nothing else that you're doing. It will pay off in the long run... it's a simple change they can implement and they should give us (their subscribers) the choice on if we want the pushed VPLs or not. IT SHOULD BE OUR OPTION.
    I know what you mean by VPL, but what does it stand for. Thanks.
    07-19-09 12:30 PM
    Seriously people. This is nothing to get all bent out of shape. Hide it, or as the OP said, call VZW and complain. But its not a real issue. Because if it was that major, everyone would be leaving VZW.
    07-19-09 12:50 PM
    Verizon Pushed Logos. Duh...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 01:07 PM
    Virtual Pre-Load icons.
    07-19-09 03:39 PM
    Actually there is a small (very small) impact to device memory. The icon is service book based, but any and all service books take up some room on the device. So, no that excuse is not good enough. Also, "hiding it"... WTF? Why should I have to hide an icon that I don't want on my device? They don't push this BS content on business handsets (i.e. 8830), so why should it be pushed to consumer Blackberries? F dat! If they want to push these apps, then they should push them via the VZW homepage that they push to the device's browser. That way (to satisfy the complainers above) the people that are too noobie to know about these apps, will be too noobie to know how to change their homepage on the browser and see the apps advertised anyway.

For the rest of us, we don't want the icons. Also, this isn't the first time anything like this has ever come up. Ask AT&T Blackberry owners how many BS pushed BrowserConfig icons they get. Community Bloggers have complained about this for years.... the carriers need to start listening.
    yea these suck. at least if they weren't service book controlled we could remove them. i'm a BES admin and get phone calls all the time ... "what is this icon that never used to be on my phone" ... annoying

Right on, Civic! You share my disgust at pushed content. I'd rather pull content that I want, rather than receive any pushed unsolicited drivel. This is my business phone; I like to keep my apps and docs tidy and I need to control my workspace!

I was searching this morning looking for a way to strip out the latest VZW push...tried CracMem, CracUtil, BBfilescout, etc. to no avail. I started searching the forums and came across this thread. I must have the same unreasonable belief that only I should be able to choose and determine what content takes up space on my handheld, without defference to my carrier's marketing desires. This is all spam in my book: unsolicited apps, all are unwanted. My phone, my app/mem space, my decision!

If anyone figures out how to strip this or any other pushed content effectively, please let us know. Till then, I will hide the darn icons. I will definately call Verizon...though I don't expect much.
    yea if they weren't service book driven and they were installed COD files you could uninstall them.
    07-19-09 03:49 PM
    yea these suck. at least if they weren't service book controlled we could remove them. i'm a BES admin and get phone calls all the time ... "what is this icon that never used to be on my phone" ... annoying

yea if they weren't service book driven and they were installed COD files you could uninstall them.
    Actually, if your users are on BES, you should have control over removing them. Take a closer look into this next week at work...
    07-19-09 03:56 PM
    Actually, if your users are on BES, you should have control over removing them. Take a closer look into this next week at work...
    awesome i didn't think we could control the carrier side service books. i'm going to jump on and look right now
    07-19-09 03:59 PM
    Actually there is a small (very small) impact to device memory. The icon is service book based, but any and all service books take up some room on the device. So, no that excuse is not good enough. Also, "hiding it"... WTF? Why should I have to hide an icon that I don't want on my device? They don't push this BS content on business handsets (i.e. 8830), so why should it be pushed to consumer Blackberries? F dat! If they want to push these apps, then they should push them via the VZW homepage that they push to the device's browser. That way (to satisfy the complainers above) the people that are too noobie to know about these apps, will be too noobie to know how to change their homepage on the browser and see the apps advertised anyway.

For the rest of us, we don't want the icons. Also, this isn't the first time anything like this has ever come up. Ask AT&T Blackberry owners how many BS pushed BrowserConfig icons they get. Community Bloggers have complained about this for years.... the carriers need to start listening.
    Civic is officially my new idol.
    07-19-09 04:28 PM
    well i can see all of them on the users' profiles, but i'll have to look more at restricting/removing them tomorrow. thanks for the idea.
    07-19-09 05:29 PM
    My storm bricked up today, so i had to call verizon, when it came back to life.. it had three new icons. I asked the VZW tech about them - i was told to hide them, and that they may be disappearing soon. When i asked why they might be disappearing she said that they have got a ton of complaints today alone. so maybe this post is working, Thanks civic! and thanks to everyone else who has expressed their feelings to VZW. it may do nothing but we can say we tried. i am optimistic.

Thanks again civic!
    07-20-09 02:41 AM
    YES CIVIC,YOU ARE THE CHIC.hopefully this post will get something done.
    07-20-09 08:39 AM
    For the record, I still have NOT been pushed the Slacker app icon.
    07-20-09 09:36 AM
    highlight, blackberry button, hide... done.
    07-20-09 10:12 AM
    highlight, blackberry button, hide... done.
    This is simply brilliant. Thanks for the step-by-step on what we all already know how to achieve. Chalk yet another one up to not understanding what the real issue is.
    07-20-09 01:07 PM
    This is simply brilliant. Thanks for the step-by-step on what we all already know how to achieve. Chalk yet another one up to not understanding what the real issue is.
    Dude, we understand the issue. I think his point was it's no big deal and to just hide it and forget about it.
    07-20-09 02:44 PM
    Dude, we understand the issue. I think his point was it's no big deal and to just hide it and forget about it.
    So, when it comes time for you to vacuum your house this week, instead of doing that, just take all the crap on the floor and just sweep it under your furniture. I think that pretty much should give you the same end result of what's being suggested here.

We don't need a bandaid fix or hide... we want the issues resolved AT THE SOURCE.
    07-20-09 05:02 PM
    In regards of the post, which I agree. I am also finding it hard to remove. Is anyone else having this problem or can you not remove it? Besides DM and your device is there another way?
    07-20-09 05:32 PM
149 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD