So I have a problem with my Storm's screen button not working when outside in cold weather. Called support and was sent another Storm as I hadn't had the phone for 30days. The replacement arrived quickly. Just a "new" looking Storm without a battery wrapped in plastic secured to a small cardboard box. So I started to check it out and one side of the screen wouldn't click unless pressed extremely hard. So I sent it back and complained to CS and was sent another.

Today I received another Storm in the same boxing/wrapping. Just a Storm, with no battery and no OEM boxing materials. This unit has an unusually loose screen that moves quite a bit when the phone is shaken lightly or when you flick the screen (like you do when scrolling). My original phones screen is not like this. Both Replacement phones have been worse than the original!

I'm still not sure if these are new or refurbished units. Does anyone know what to look for to be able to tell. Should a new Storm come with all original boxes/materials (charger, manual, etc)? I'm getting quite frustrated. All I want is a decent replacement phone. Is this normal? Should I just keep sending them back until I get an acceptable unit?
    04-13-09 05:22 PM
    I would keep sending it back, but that's just me because i'm pretty anal about my phones.

T-mobile's is similar to this, and they don't send the whole package, only the phone with no battery and battery cover. if verizon is anything like tmobile, they send a "like new" or "refurbed" phone... frustrating yes, but that's the process.

might get lucky and get a new phone though
    04-13-09 05:28 PM
    This is an unusual happenstance for us, usually any phone we send out functions like it's brand new. If you're continuing to have problems with them call us.
    04-13-09 05:30 PM
    I love my eighth Storm!
    04-13-09 05:32 PM
    yeah, keep sending them back.. took me 13 new storms to get one I was happy with
    04-13-09 05:33 PM
    I love my eighth Storm!
    lol!!!! I can't believe someone would try and over and over and over to get a device worth keeping. I'd be furious!
    04-13-09 05:34 PM
    i would keep sending it back until you get a replacement worth keeping
    04-13-09 05:34 PM
    This is an unusual happenstance for us, usually any phone we send out functions like it's brand new. If you're continuing to have problems with them call us.
    What's unusual is that you refuse to admit that there's a problem. I've been through the same run around and find it almost incredible that we could possibly receive this many devices and each is worse than the previous one.

Look through these forum posts and see the extrordinary number of posts from users complaining of poor build quality on both new and refurbed units.

Phone calls all the way to the top don't seem to help with poor quality control in the least.

As others have suggested, the ETF is looking like relief rather than a penalty.
    04-13-09 05:44 PM
    OP:

Did you feel that your phone had a loose screw before you placed the battery and put the cover back on the phone?

If so, I think this was discussed before:

h**p://forums.crackberry.com/f86/rattling-noise-when-cover-off-175524/

Just replace the '*' with t and search for it.
    04-13-09 05:58 PM
    lol!!!! I can't believe someone would try and over and over and over to get a device worth keeping. I'd be furious!
    I know from my professional life that CSRs can really do one of four things..

1) Tell you sorry and then do nothing
    2) Walk you through the diagnostics (for about an hour) and listen to you whine, eventually you will give up and they now have a war story that they can chat with other CSRs about how they inflicted punishment on an unruly customer.
    3) Send you to a supervisor who may do #2
    4) Send you a new phone

Getting pissed pretty much guarantees that options 1-3 will be the outcome. If you want option 4 just be nice and you'll be off the phone in 5 minutes.

The worst thing you can do to punish VZW/RIMM is send back their broken phones. Enough people do it and it their manufacturing and QA people will get slapped, just as they deserve.
    04-13-09 06:02 PM
    I'm still not sure if these are new or refurbished units. Does anyone know what to look for to be able to tell. Should a new Storm come with all original boxes/materials (charger, manual, etc)? I'm getting quite frustrated. All I want is a decent replacement phone. Is this normal? Should I just keep sending them back until I get an acceptable unit?
    they are refurbs for sure, Verizon is hot on sending out refurbs in those exact boxes you are talking about... that is what i was sent after my first storm crapped out. but I sure as heck did not have the bad luck you are! in fact the refurb I was sent was alot more solid thatn the original... go figure?!?!
    04-13-09 06:03 PM
    OP:

Did you feel that your phone had a loose screw before you placed the battery and put the cover back on the phone?

If so, I think this was discussed before:

h**p://forums.crackberry.com/f86/rattling-noise-when-cover-off-175524/

Just replace the '*' with t and search for it.
    I read through the thread you posted and I have noticed a different rattle with the battery cover removed before but this is definitely the screen. It physically moves when you slide your finger on it. I still have my original phone right next to it and it's night and day difference.

I will call CS again and request a new unit in original packaging (NOT a refurb) and see what happens. It's been longer than 30days now but when I called in originally it hadn't been. I thought they sent out new units under 30days?
    04-13-09 06:21 PM
    complain, complain, complain

tell them you don not want a refurbished phone you would like to have a new one sent to your address.

it is not your fault they have a bad QA department and ship defective refurb phones

the more you complain and ask for supervisors the more you will get

with my curve they sent me 2 different ones and the trackball would just die

i got credit to my account for the insurance deductible i paid, a new curve, and refunded for the time i was with out my phone
    Last edited by Mh0user; 04-13-09 at 06:39 PM.
    04-13-09 06:36 PM
    honestly the refurbs are each tested on a 100 point scale, so the odds of getting a bad refurb are pretty low. they replace any faulty parts, and usually put new screen and case on it as well. they even assign a new ESN to the device...
    04-13-09 06:40 PM
    When you consider the sheer amount of refurbs we send out, the very few that have issues are a statistical minority. We won't typically go through more than 3 before sending a brand new phone still in the box.

If you go through Asurion we have no choice.
    04-13-09 07:12 PM
    i got a second phone from verizon as a replacement. it does not come as a new phones and they tell you that when it gets sent out and its not like verizon makes the phone. you will get a refurbished phone with a new simcard and battery door. keep your old battery and media/SD card. all in all i have had very good luck with the refurb. the screen has zero issues and the phone itself seems to be better than the fist one i bought off my friend. i guess he was a little ruff on the phone. verizon does a pretty good job for their customers i would have to say. ive had att and sprint for about a year a piece and i was not impressed with either and then verizon gave me a conccession line and i obviously love the price but the service is great by me and the billing/online features and customer service have all been great for me. so sorry to hear that you have had so many issues. but just remember the person that your taking out your frustrations on the other end doesnt make the phone. good luck with your next refurb buddy!
    04-13-09 08:40 PM
    When you consider the sheer amount of refurbs we send out, the very few that have issues are a statistical minority. We won't typically go through more than 3 before sending a brand new phone still in the box.

Please clarify. If we are insured through Asurion and phone is damaged we get a new (not refurb) phone?
    04-13-09 08:46 PM
    LOL...Only took me five. I feel extremely fortunate that after walking into the store each time, I got a new phone in a new box. Of course, I was still inside the 30 day window. I was about to take this last one back due to screen issues, but bought a Torx screwdriver and did it myself. I' pray each day I don't have any issues. I think I would lose my mind (even more) if I got a refurb, especially since this phone is only (3) months old.
    04-13-09 08:48 PM
    My third replacement was a brand-new in the retail packaging storm, it was head and shoulders better then the re-mans.
    04-13-09 08:52 PM
    if you go through Asurion you are charged $50 for filing the claim. it is prompt service but my phone i got from Asurion had the click problem as well... so i went through 2 more until i think i got a decent one
    04-13-09 09:24 PM
    Good luck with this and I look forward to seeing the outcome. I will be on my third Storm as soon as I speak with CS tomorrow.
    04-13-09 09:33 PM
    ...but just remember the person that your taking out your frustrations on the other end doesnt make the phone. good luck with your next refurb buddy!
    I haven't taken my frustrations out on the CSRs!! Worst thing you could do while dealing with them is to get them pissed off! I understand that it isn't their fault. I will call tomorrow and report back if they do in fact send me a new in box replacement.
    04-13-09 10:33 PM
    Please clarify. If we are insured through Asurion and phone is damaged we get a new (not refurb) phone?
    insurance phones are either new or refurbished. If it comes in the original box it is probably new. if it comes in a insurance box it is probably refurbished
    04-13-09 10:38 PM

So does changing the name from FRU to CLN make the refurbished units better?
    04-13-09 10:39 PM
    idk what the difference between "fru" and "cln" is honestly
    04-13-09 10:53 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD