Since I have had my Storm, about three weeks now, I have used it as an alarm clock. I works great and it's kind of cool to have an alarm and phone all in one device. It saves space on the night table. Here is the thing. The clock shows landscape when in the cradle like it is supposed to. When I wake up in the morning it is in the portrait position and will not go back into landscape unless I take it out of the cradle and open an app, close the app, then put it back into the cradle.
    Anyone know what's up with that??
    No complaints at all with the 9530 Storm, I come from an 8830 and before that a Treo 700w. I will never look back!!
    Not to get off subject, but from what I've read on CB you either love the Storm or hate it. I am a lover..
    03-31-09 08:09 AM
    I'm assuming you're running the official OS? When it's in the cradle / charging, do you have it set to go into bedside mode AND show the clock?

I will also say that I use mine for an alarm clock as well (an "additional" one...) and it has worked great!
    03-31-09 08:13 AM
    I don't know how to help you but I too have used my storm as an alarm clock since I have had it. Dec 5th. It has only let me down one time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 08:17 AM
    I travel often and know better to trust the in-room clocks - actually wouldn't touch one without gloves - but that's another story. I think the big issue is to make sure it's set to go into bedside mode when it's charging. If mine is in portrait mode before I put it in the cradle it will stay that way until I touch the screen. If you use the cradle during the day and it goes into bedside mode, just switch applications and the screen will stay lit. I use that to see album covers from Slacker and Flycast. Of course if it is not in bedside mode the screen will shut down.
    Last edited by Corporatetrainer; 03-31-09 at 10:02 AM.
    03-31-09 09:22 AM
    I use mine as an alarm clock every day. When I place it in the cradle it usually switches to landscape as I rotate it to put it in. Never have an issue with that. The only time I have had any issues is when I installed BBSmartAlarms Pro. I hate to bash but that app caused me to be late for an appointment and cust svc sucks not to mention Im out the money.
    03-31-09 10:15 AM
    I had a similar issue, and what it was, was quickpull restarting the phone while I was sleeping. It would come back up in bedside mode, but the clock would be in the wrong orientation.
    03-31-09 10:26 AM
    I am running the original OS and have not used bedside mode. I think I tried it the first time and my screen went black after a minute or two. I remember touching the screen and it coming back on but I took it out of bedside mode because I want to be able to see what time it is at any of the 100 times I wake in the night. I will try it again tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.
    03-31-09 10:35 AM
    my alarm clock just stopped working one day. If i was looking at the screen i would see that the alarm was "going off" but it did not ring. Since i don't sleep staring at my phone, i wasn't woken up. a couple days later when i also found that my music wasn't playing anymore, i pulled the battery and did a hard restart. everything seems to work now. anyone have this issue? while it was easy to fix, the unknown of when it will stop working again is troublesome . . .
    04-07-09 01:25 PM
    I did not set mine to desktop mode. I just plop it into the desktop charging Pod and go to sleep.
    04-07-09 02:32 PM
    I use my Storm as an alarm clock everyday, I place it in the charging pod (which I love), click "enter bedside mode" which is a nice feature because it dims the screen so the clock numbers are not so bright, they can light up the room if I dont use bedside mode. I dont have any issues with landscape mode..

PS Go into your clock>BB key>options> scroll to bedside mode, my settings are Disable LED -yes, Disable radio -no, Dim screen -yes...
    Last edited by califjewls; 04-07-09 at 02:41 PM.
    04-07-09 02:36 PM
    I personally do not find the alarm clock very effective due to its low volume. Does anyone agree?

Here's my setup: The "Sound Profile" I have chosen is loud. Under "Clock Options," I have the alarm volume set as 9. The odd thing is, when I "test" volume 9, it is obviously very loud. However, when the alarm goes off, it's not as loud as the "test" volume.

Any suggestions?
    04-07-09 02:47 PM
    I don't use a cradle (I gave mine to a coworker) because I use an Innocase II which won't fit in the dock. Anyway I have used my Storm as my alarm clock since day 1, actually I've been using my cell phone as my alarm clock for years now since way back when I had a Q (shame on me).

Anyway my volume is great. I use a ringtone that I modified in Audacity to increase the gain and then increase the length of it to about 3 minutes. When it rings it will not shut up for about 15 minutes. You can't ignore because it is so annoying, I used the windows default ringtone from the Q to create it LOL.
    04-07-09 03:14 PM
    I'm using the Alarm_HighAlert tone that came with the phone, volume at eight. Even I can't sleep through it.
    04-12-09 02:05 PM
    I use the Looney Tunes theme song, volume at 9. Hasn't failed me yet.

04-12-09 02:10 PM
    I use mine as an Alarm clock every night, especially while traveling. I keep a dock in my suitcase for that. I have the Storm set to automatically go to 'bedside' mode whenever it is plugged in. While at my desk working, I have a cradle that sits it in portrait mode. I do have to cancel bedside mode for that, but it allows me to monitor my email if I am using my computer for a LiveMeeting, etc.. I have 12 play-lists with ambient sounds (rain, thunder and lightening, surf, etc.) that are all 60 minutes long. When in a hotel room, I start one of those, put the Storm in the cradle and go to bed. I find that the volume level is too high if I have it over an 8, and I have never had an alarm fail to go off unless I have changed 'everyday' to 'weekdays' in the alarm setting.
    04-12-09 08:06 PM
    I personally do not find the alarm clock very effective due to its low volume. Does anyone agree?

Here's my setup: The "Sound Profile" I have chosen is loud. Under "Clock Options," I have the alarm volume set as 9. The odd thing is, when I "test" volume 9, it is obviously very loud. However, when the alarm goes off, it's not as loud as the "test" volume.

Any suggestions?
    You can choose different "sounds" for your alarm, just like changing your ring tone. Some are naturally louder than others. Mine does a good job waking me up. I was having a hard time being woken up my my previous actual alarm clock, because it wasn't loud enough....
    04-12-09 08:36 PM
    I am running the original OS and have not used bedside mode. I think I tried it the first time and my screen went black after a minute or two. I remember touching the screen and it coming back on but I took it out of bedside mode because I want to be able to see what time it is at any of the 100 times I wake in the night. I will try it again tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.
    Bedside Mode! Bedside Mode!
    It works well. You would also see a great deal of improvement in general if you upgraded to one of the beta OS', although, there are some risks in doing that
    04-12-09 08:39 PM
    Mine is a beside clock and alarm clock every night now. It hasn't failed yet, and bedside mode works great.

The first time I used bedside mode the screen did shut completely off as well, but hasn't done so since.

I do need to pick up a charging cradle though, haven't done that yet.
    04-12-09 09:54 PM
    I slap mine in a charging cradle and go to sleep.

Wakes me up every time.

PS - I wake up to Nickelbacks "side of a bullet". Love it.

04-12-09 11:24 PM
    I have been using mine as my alarm clock since I bought it launch day. The alarm hasn't failed me once and even was right on when we had to change our clocks.

04-13-09 12:39 AM

Any suggestions?
    I found all of my sounds and volume levels work better if I save them in a custom profile.
    -anchorsax
    04-13-09 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD