Before I begin, let me state that I have tried searching through these forums, and even with Google, to find the answer, but most posts I came across on this topic either ended with no answer provided, or the answer provided or circumstances of the OP were not applicable.

That said, I am curious why I receive this issue from time to time when I plug my Storm into a computer.

Other threads suggest to just unplug the USB from the phone and reinsert a few times. Doesn't work for me.

Other threads suggested that the device driver may have gotten corrupted and to reinstall it. Sounds great, except this error occurs on multiple PCs.

None of the other threads that I saw made mention of the fact that, even when the phone is plugged into the wall charger, the phone does not charge. The battery icon looks as though it's charging, but it is not.

Obviously, all of this points to the phone itself being the problem. This is my first smart phone, let alone Blackberry, and while I am fairly computer- and tech-literate, I would not put it past me to be doing something wrong. My hope is that there is something simple that I am overlooking, or am just completely unaware of. I would rather not deal with the hassle of getting a replacement if it turns out, as I fear it may, to be a hardware issue, so I'm looking for any other possibilities at this point in hopes of putting off the inevitable.

Does anyone have any insights or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    04-20-09 09:20 AM
    1. Remove the BB from the USB;
    Reboot the PC, and while powered on, remove the battery on the BB, reinsert after a few seconds, and reboot the BB.
    Try it all again.

2. Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

3. Does your BB show as charging when connected to the PC (a charge symbol next to the battery icon on the homescreen)?
    04-20-09 09:22 AM
    First, I should have mentioned in the OP that when I battery pull the BB, it connects and is recognized by the PC without problem.

This occurs intermittently, and I have so far been unable to reliably duplicate it, so I am at a loss in that regard.

1. Remove the BB from the USB;
    Reboot the PC, and while powered on, remove the battery on the BB, reinsert after a few seconds, and reboot the BB.
    Try it all again.

2. Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

3. Does your BB show as charging when connected to the PC (a charge symbol next to the battery icon on the homescreen)?
    Thank you for the response.

1. The last time (and only time) I did a battery pull while the phone was plugged into a PC, the phone froze, requiring me to reboot it with another battery pull after disconnecting it from the PC.

2. I attach the computer to two desktop machines (home and work), both of which use the rear USB, albeit with a short extension so it is easily reached from atop the desk. I suppose that might be an issue. I also use a laptop computer at times. I have received this error on all three PCs.

3. It does, though I am not sure if it actually charges during these instances. Next time it occurs, I will leave it alone and connected for a bit and watch the battery status. I know for a fact, however, that during that occasion I mentioned above when it was plugged into the wall, it was not charging.
    Last edited by Curis; 04-20-09 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Corrected the order of my responses.
    04-20-09 09:32 AM
    If you are plugging directly into a USB port on the computer and not using any type of cradle, you may want to "Stop" the drives before unplugging on the PC. This will allow you to plug the USB device (i.e. Storm) back into the PC next time. To stop the drives, know which drive letters are your Storms (i.e. I & J, etc.), look in Task Bar, bottom far right your PC and select "Safely Remove Hardware". Select the drive letters corresponding to your Storm. This is one advantage to having a Cradle, because it is unnecessary. Good luck. By the way, this is not a Storm problem, normal Windows convention.
    04-20-09 10:14 AM
    sometimes it's a drive letter assignment problem:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/fi...evices-210633/
    04-20-09 10:29 AM
    If you are plugging directly into a USB port on the computer and not using any type of cradle, you may want to "Stop" the drives before unplugging on the PC. This will allow you to plug the USB device (i.e. Storm) back into the PC next time. To stop the drives, know which drive letters are your Storms (i.e. I & J, etc.), look in Task Bar, bottom far right your PC and select "Safely Remove Hardware". Select the drive letters corresponding to your Storm. This is one advantage to having a Cradle, because it is unnecessary. Good luck. By the way, this is not a Storm problem, normal Windows convention.
    I do this with other USB devices like flash drives and such, but had read--on these forums, actually--that it's not necessary to do so with BBs. Is that not true after all, unless, as you said, a cradle is involved?

I will start shutting down the USB properly before unplugging the phone, and see if the issue continues.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Curis; 04-20-09 at 10:41 AM.
    04-20-09 10:36 AM
    sometimes it's a drive letter assignment problem:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/fi...evices-210633/
    Thank you for the response, Leo.

Unfortunately, the thread you linked does not apply to whatever issue I am having. Granted, I don't worry about the drive letter assignment at home, but here at work, we have a whole mess of mapped network drives, so I pretty much have to go into the Admin Tools and assign a drive letter to each USB device I use on a regular basis, or else it will conflict with one of the network mappings. It's gotten to the point that it is one of the first things I do, and the phone was no exception.

(One of these days, I will figure out why the network admins here insist on having this many mappings, particularly when most of them are redundant.)
    Last edited by Curis; 04-20-09 at 11:08 AM.
    04-20-09 10:40 AM
    oh well, sorry that wasn't applicable in your case...
    and you'll probably never get a sufficient answer from your network admins. on all that mapping
    04-20-09 11:08 AM
    I just had this happen to me on my Bold two weeks ago. Spent 90 mins on the phone with RIM after At&t connected me. We never found a fix especially with my 8900 connecting fine. End result, RIM contacted At&t and told them to send me another device. RIM had said this has been a known issue with the Bolds. Maybe it is too with Storms.
    04-20-09 11:10 AM
    I do this with other USB devices like flash drives and such, but had read--on these forums, actually--that it's not necessary to do so with BBs. Is that not true after all, unless, as you said, a cradle is involved?

I will start shutting down the USB properly before unplugging the phone, and see if the issue continues.

Thank you.
    I would lose ability with my Storm all the time unless I stopped the drives until I got a cradle. After that, it has never happened again. Just thought I would how it helped me out.
    04-20-09 11:21 AM
    I would lose ability with my Storm all the time unless I stopped the drives until I got a cradle. After that, it has never happened again. Just thought I would how it helped me out.
    Well, that's great news! I will definitely start doing that from now on, hopefully with the same results.

I am really trying to avoid the same outcome that Garz mentioned above. Aside from this, and assuming it's even a hardware issue (which it may not be), I've had no hardware issues at all with my Storm. I'm afraid if I get a refurb, it's going to open the door to all sorts of hardware nonsense.

(In the meantime, I think I may try to dig up that old post where I read that "Safely Removing" the phone is not necessary to see if I misread it. I am certain that's what it said, though.)
    04-20-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD