Hi - our company uses BES through a hosted solution at intermedia.net. I do not have access to our account with them (I would need to go through our IT department).
    In order for the upcoming OTA update (.75) to work, will Intermedia have to "enable" it (allow it to be sent to the devices). In other words, am I at their mercy if/when they decide to update their servers?

Thanks for any help and advice (very new to the BB, as you can tell)
    12-01-08 08:43 PM
    I'm also wondering about my BES upgrade. When you get a new device, do you have to give it to them everytime or can you just connect it to your computer and "switch device"? That's what I do...

I'm wondering if I connect my device to the computer if it will automatically detect it, or if I need to download the upgrade to my computer and then run it the same....?

Little confused...
    12-01-08 08:49 PM
    If you are going to do OTA, then yes.

You can always just do the upgrade yourself at home via USB (assuming your IT hasn't locked it down). I always upgrade mine myself (including the .75 OS) and then call the IT department and have them reactivate me.
    12-01-08 08:50 PM
    my thing that worries me is whenever I get a new device, I am prompted to activate them on BES because desktop manager notices its a new PIN than my previous BB... If I upgrade the OS on my own, what will it detect when I reconnect it, since the PIN is staying the same? You know?
    12-01-08 08:56 PM
    When you upgrade the OS you have to reactivate on the BES server, unless you do it OTA.
    12-01-08 10:41 PM
    I have tried both OTA upgrade using the handset and via the USB cable from Blackberry's website.

I am using BES and I am in the UK using an unlocked Vodafone Storm on the O2 network.

I have accessed the OTA upgrade via 'Options - Advanced Options - Wireless Upgrade' but after clicking 'Upgrade' I just get a report that there are no upgrades available.

I then tried connecting via the USB cable. The Blackberry website detected the Storm but then stopped and reported that as my device is setup for BES, I must contact my system administrator.

So it seems if you are using BES, the [I]only[I] way of getting the official upgrade is via your IT team and judging by other comments, they seem equally confused.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

Martin

Shield_London
    12-03-08 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD