I know there has been some heated discussions about whether or not the Storm is able to perform OTA updates of its OS. Some have said it can only be done via BES and cannot be performed on Storms connected by BIS (Civic, I'm looking in your direction). I think I've found something that'll answer the question in a pretty definitive way. All you need to do is look in you Storm Manual (I'm sure you've all downloaded it from BB's website, right?) and take a look at pages 186-187. I could just save you the trouble of looking it up and tell you that it lists instructions and pre-requisites (none of which include a BES requirement) for "Wireless upgrade" of Device Software, but noone would believe me. So, follow the link and check it out.

Enjoy!

-SR-
    11-19-08 12:05 PM
    That it awesome. I'm interested to see how well it works given that it backs up your BB over the network. If it works well, that's a much better method than what it takes to do an OS update now.
    11-19-08 12:26 PM
    yah im sure it will work... it will be much quicker too .. for sprint i had OS updates OTA and it was quick and painless
    11-19-08 12:30 PM
    yeah, OTA updates are the wave of the future and hopefully RIM starts to ride the wave the Storm
    11-19-08 12:30 PM
    From the VZW employee side...Equipment guide does show the Storm as OTA update
    11-19-08 12:33 PM
    Nice find!
    11-19-08 12:34 PM
    what does OTA stand for, organized team activity like in the NFL?
    11-19-08 12:35 PM
    I hate to be the wet blanket here, however, someone must pick up Civic's slack...
    No OTA...
    maybe they just haven't released it yet...
    and, there's this.

11-19-08 12:36 PM
    what does OTA stand for, organized team activity like in the NFL?
    OTA=Over the Air

Basically it means your updates can be sent to the phone via your wireless network without actually hooking up the phone to a PC
    11-19-08 12:38 PM
    My question...what if you loose connectivity part of the way through for whatever reason?
    11-19-08 12:38 PM
    My question...what if you loose connectivity part of the way through for whatever reason?
    I would suggest reading through this..

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    11-19-08 12:41 PM
    ughhh now i dont know ...
    11-19-08 12:41 PM
    I would go to a VERY strong signal area, and the make sure your wireless signal was turned off so that there could be no interuptions
    11-19-08 12:44 PM
    I have to think a lot of the discrepancies in information are because the device isn't released yet, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

I'm not doubting the validity of anyone's info -- just really hard to get a straight answer.
    11-19-08 12:47 PM
    From what I'm reading in the User Guide, the update will download to your device first before it does anything else. That would make the most sense at least.

I'm interested in how it restores your user (contacts,messages,calendar,etc.) data after a complete OS update.
    11-19-08 12:48 PM
    I hate to be the wet blanket here, however, someone must pick up Civic's slack...
    No OTA...
    maybe they just haven't released it yet...
    and, there's this.

All I can say about that is this: Just because a PC-based upgrade solution is available, does not mean that the OTA solution is not. Perhaps a user has the option to use either one?

-SR-
    11-19-08 01:25 PM
    From what I'm reading in the User Guide, the update will download to your device first before it does anything else. That would make the most sense at least.

I'm interested in how it restores your user (contacts,messages,calendar,etc.) data after a complete OS update.
    I read it the same way. It points out that you are able to do other things while the update downloads, but not while it is being installed. That's obviously the most fail-safe way to do it.

-SR-

PS: After all the back'n'forth of info on a litney of Storm questions, I have decided that everything RIM does is just plain confusing. There are too many different sources of seemingly-legit answers to our questions and they don't always agree with each other. Oh well, it gives us something to talk about.
    11-19-08 01:28 PM
    hmm im sure OTA will work.. if not .. o well .. not a big deal.
    11-19-08 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD