I called VZW yesterday to ask some questions about my account, after all was taken care of, she had asked me if I had anymore questions. I asked when the new update would be, and she said that VZW should have one out within a couple weeks, and that I should check the site, when it comes to go to the store to get it updated. I asked if I did an wireless update on my phone if this was the same, she said no, and doing *228 does not work the same way either, that it is a totally different update that you must receive from VZW. Has anyone else heard of this before, or was the rep just off?
    11-25-08 07:16 AM
    sounds like the rep is off.. because yes *228 is not for blackberry OS upgrade. but there is "wireless upgrade" under advanced options. that is what we will use.

very doubtful, in fact almost impossible we will have to go into stores for this one
    11-25-08 07:17 AM
    sounds like the rep is off.. because yes *228 is not for blackberry OS upgrade. but there is "wireless upgrade" under advanced options. that is what we will use.

very doubtful, in fact almost impossible we will have to go into stores for this one

Correct, Instore techs do not flash advanced devices ever. On the Storm you would use "wireless Upgrade" for an over the air update.

Other devices like a treo for instance require the customer to d/l and update on their own computer.
    11-25-08 07:19 AM
    Thanks for the info, I thought that would be kinda ridiculous with the popularity of the storm, I had a bad vision, of every once in a while having to go wait in huge lines to get an update..
    11-25-08 07:25 AM
    The rep just wanted to get you back in the store so he/she could sell you more stuff!!!
    11-25-08 07:26 AM
    So just wondering how do you update your roaming capabilities on the Storm if *228 does not work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 07:32 AM
    lol. another classic story of a clueless sales person.
    11-25-08 07:35 AM
    The stores did offer to do updates to the Treos. Yes you could download the update and do it yourself but the option to have it done at the store was available.

11-25-08 08:23 AM
    The stores did offer to do updates to the Treos. Yes you could download the update and do it yourself but the option to have it done at the store was available.

Exactly.

I think the rep was just offering to update it for you when the update became available. The rep probrably mis-understood the "wireless update" option or was unaware of it. If you do the wireless update or if you do it via Desktop Manager it would be the same.

*228 just updates the cell towers you get signal from.
    11-25-08 08:42 AM
    So just wondering how do you update your roaming capabilities on the Storm if *228 does not work?

*228 still updates your prl. just does nothing for the software version. Sorry for the confusion
    11-25-08 08:45 AM
    And you launch day was a disaster. Send 500,000 people or so to only VZ stores for an update that could take 20 to 30 minutes.
    11-25-08 08:55 AM
    Still no upgrade on the VZN network what up with this?
    11-25-08 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD