I personally have AT&T, and where the iPhone is pretty sweet, I'm addicted to Blackberry.

Anyone have any ideas if the Storm would be able to be unlocked and work on AT&T's network? Or am I to sit on the sidelines with a Bold and be jealous of everyone who has Verizon?
    10-02-08 03:19 PM
    I hate to be the one to say this havana, don't hate me but...

This question has been answered a million times over, in 458 different threads, no reason to start a post, ;(

On to the answer though

It is speculated that you will be able to unlock a 9500 to use on AT&T's network, though you will not be able to buy a 9530 **Verizon's version** and use it with AT&T.

And by speculated you can assume all but officially confirmed. ((Which it can't be officially confirmed since the phone isn't out, ))
    10-02-08 03:21 PM
    Negative ghostrider. You'll be stuck in the slow lane with your bold. Until the thunder comes out I believe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 03:21 PM
    The Storm, Thunder coming to the states is CDMA is doesnt use a SIM card so unfortunately you cant unlock it.

VodaFone is release a gsm version i believe that you can use on ATT.

hope i helped
    its a world phone, so it does have a sim card for overseas networks.
    10-02-08 03:23 PM
    It is speculated that you will be able to unlock a 9500 to use on AT&T's network
    I thought that was confirmed by CX. :shrug:
    10-02-08 03:32 PM
    its a world phone, so it does have a sim card for overseas networks.
    This is true. However, the 9530 Storm will not be capable of operating on domestic GSM networks. This holds true with all CDMA devices - they cannot be unlocked. However, there are rumours of a 9500 Thunder, which is a GSM device. This will obviously operate on a SIM card as opposed to being an ESN specific device, and will have the ability to be unlocked.
    10-02-08 03:33 PM
    I thought that was confirmed by CX. :shrug:
    Technically the device isn't released yet, I was being more facetious than serious about the speculative part of the post, :P. It's pretty obvious this will operate like any other unlocked phone, atleast I assume it will.
    10-02-08 03:34 PM
    I agree and that is why I plan on getting the 9500. Not going for the 9530.

I'm pretty sure the 9500 comes with WiFi too. :P
    10-02-08 04:09 PM

Oh good god!!!!
    10-02-08 04:11 PM

Barf!!!
    10-02-08 04:13 PM
    If what was posted before is accurate, VZW cannot withhold the unlock code, so you will be able to use it on AT&T. Only caveat is that you won't be able to use AT&T's 3G network. The chipset does not support North American 3G frequencies. So if that's that an issue for you and you just want use it for making calls and AT&T's slow network then so be it.
    10-02-08 04:20 PM
    If what was posted before is accurate, VZW cannot withhold the unlock code, so you will be able to use it on AT&T. Only caveat is that you won't be able to use AT&T's 3G network. The chipset does not support North American 3G frequencies. So if that's that an issue for you and you just want use it for making calls and AT&T's slow network then so be it.
    Um no. And also, no.

Verizon Wireless is a CDMA network, whereas ATT is GSM - regardless of 3G speeds. What you are saying is completely off. The chipset doesn't support North American 3G frequencies? No, it doesn't support domestic GSM bands PERIOD. No CDMA device will ever, EVER work on a GSM network. Period.
    10-02-08 04:23 PM
    Um no. And also, no.

Verizon Wireless is a CDMA network, whereas ATT is GSM - regardless of 3G speeds. What you are saying is completely off. The chipset doesn't support North American 3G frequencies? No, it doesn't support domestic GSM bands PERIOD. No CDMA device will ever, EVER work on a GSM network. Period.
    this is a hybrid phone and does have north american gsm frequencies. so it will work on at&t's edge network. verizon is coming out with another hybrid device which is a motorola and that was used by the boygenius with his at&t sim card. but that's another topic just trying to prove the point that a verizon phone can technically work on at&t. anyway, according to the specs of the 9530, it does have na gsm frequencies.

10-02-08 04:35 PM
    Last I read of specs the 9530 should only have European, 2 cdma rf's, and 2 GSM rf's, no NA GSM in them.... where did ya read different?
    10-02-08 04:42 PM
    Last I read of specs the 9530 should only have European, 2 cdma rf's, and 2 GSM rf's, no NA GSM in them.... where did ya read different?
    it's in the first post of the thread: Read This First-Things we know about the Storm/Thunder. it was confirmed by Kevin Byrne, a trusted insider. I believe it was also in theleaked Verizon PPT presention slide

10-02-08 04:51 PM
    it's in the first post of the thread: Read This First-Things we know about the Storm/Thunder. it was confirmed by Kevin Byrne, a trusted insider. I believe it was also in theleaked Verizon PPT presention slide

Link please?

This phone will NOT operate on NA GSM networks. Period.
    10-02-08 04:53 PM
    i'm posting from my phone, i can't copy and paste. but the thread i provided is in this forum, search 4 it

10-02-08 04:56 PM
    Storm 9530

EVDO Rev A: ( 1900/800 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    UTMS/HSDPA/HSUPA: 2100MHZ

doesnt at&t use the 850 + 1900 band?
    10-02-08 05:02 PM
    Storm 9530

doesnt at&t use the 850 + 1900 band?
    thanks 4 posting that, and i believe at&t does use those bands

10-02-08 05:06 PM
    Um no. And also, no.

Um yes. And also, yes. Also while I'm at it why not give it a heck yeah!

The Storm is a world phone that is able to use both CDMA and GSM networks. If you've been paying any attention to any of the information being posted on this site as well as others you'd know that it does support North American GSM frequencies. So that would make it work on AT&T. The only thing the phone won't do is run on AT&T's 3G network.

Reference this slide posted on Engadget a little while ago: http:// www. engadgetmobile.com/photos/verizon-tells-us-all-about-the-blackberry-storms-wow-factors-1/1050561/ (I can't post links yet )

Very reliable insiders such as Crucial_Xtreme and Kevin Byrne have confirmed that the Storm's chipsets support the following:

Right there, AT&T GSM frequencies. Which means using a Storm on AT&T is a go.
    10-02-08 05:08 PM
    Um yes. And also, yes. Also while I'm at it why not give it a heck yeah!

The Storm is a world phone that is able to use both CDMA and GSM networks. If you've been paying any attention to any of the information being posted on this site as well as others you'd know that it does support North American GSM frequencies. So that would make it work on AT&T. The only thing the phone won't do is run on AT&T's 3G network.

Reference this slide posted on Engadget a little while ago: http:// www. engadgetmobile.com/photos/verizon-tells-us-all-about-the-blackberry-storms-wow-factors-1/1050561/ (I can't post links yet )

Very reliable insiders such as Crucial_Xtreme and Kevin Byrne have confirmed that the Storm's chipsets support the following:

Right there, AT&T GSM frequencies. Which means using a Storm on AT&T is a go.
    Well, I stand corrected. Hope it's not windy up there.
    10-02-08 05:12 PM
    Ummm...ok. Believe what you will. Fact is fact. No point in arguing. You will see once this is released. Good day!
    10-02-08 05:14 PM
    Ummm...ok. Believe what you will. Fact is fact. No point in arguing. You will see once this is released. Good day!
    Wow. How was I arguing? I said I stand corrected. Perhaps your understanding of the Storm's capabilities is better than your understanding of English. Good day!
    10-02-08 05:15 PM
    in fairness jenay, you kinda set yourself up for a "i told you so" moment when you made your statements so decisively without any info to support you.

why is everyone so chippy on this site? at hofo you can have one thread on a phone and people stay civil, whereas on here you have 20 threads saying the same things and asking the same questions. its easy for people to get confused and repeat themselves.
    10-02-08 05:19 PM
    Wow. How was I arguing? I said I stand corrected. Perhaps your understanding of the Storm's capabilities is better than your understanding of English. Good day!
    My bad. I was reading one thing and thinking another. Let's just forget it. We're both here posting for the same reason. We want the Storm. No hard feelings.
    10-02-08 05:23 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD