Ok i was just curious... when i first got the storm they charged me 10$ a month for the navigator.. now i kept it because when stuff goes down and i need a gps i could use it, But i decided to take it off...

I was just curious was the 10$ a month for the use of the GPS or the use of the Program Navigator.

Meaning can i download a 3rd party app that is a gps, or uses gps( trapstar, weatherbug, ext...) and not pay the 10$ charge..

Thanks
    06-22-09 03:42 PM
    It's for use of VZ Navigator.
    06-22-09 03:45 PM
    Right, the GPS is unlocked on the Storm and you can use third party apps. You can drop the Navigator any time you want.
    06-22-09 03:50 PM
    Thanks for the info.. glad to see that verizon doesnt have a stranglehold on that.
    06-22-09 03:50 PM
    But I think that you can't use the GPS for apps like google maps and such that provide navagation...which kinda sucks.
    06-22-09 04:05 PM
    But I think that you can't use the GPS for apps like google maps and such that provide navagation...which kinda sucks.
    Not true, I use google maps all the time and I don't have VZ Navigator. I have also tried the Garmin Mobile app and it worked like a charm ($80 though )
    06-22-09 04:08 PM
    Incorrect information.
    06-22-09 04:10 PM
    gps is unlocked in the storm. u can use 3rd party apps without having to subscribe to vznav
    06-22-09 04:10 PM
    This is not correct. You can use the gps on your phone for any gps related apps.

To the OP...you need to call Verizon and tell them to cancel your $10/month VZNAv. Even though you are not using it, they will continue to charge you for it until you actually cancel that program. Google Maps will work fine on your phone, but if you want voice commands, you may want to look at buying something like Garmin Mobile. It works great on the Storm. It cost about $90, but it's a one time fee (much cheaper than $10/month). You can download a free trial if you want to try it out. Search for it in the 3rd party apps section.
    06-22-09 04:12 PM
    Oh, that wasn't my understanding--sorry to pass on bad info, but glad to be corrected!!!
    06-22-09 04:18 PM
    This is not correct. You can use the gps on your phone for any gps related apps.

To the OP...you need to call Verizon and tell them to cancel your $10/month VZNAv. Even though you are not using it, they will continue to charge you for it until you actually cancel that program. Google Maps will work fine on your phone, but if you want voice commands, you may want to look at buying something like Garmin Mobile. It works great on the Storm. It cost about $90, but it's a one time fee (much cheaper than $10/month). You can download a free trial if you want to try it out. Search for it in the 3rd party apps section.
    Nav4All gives turn-by-turn voice directions and it's free. If you know your way around town, though, you find yourself scratching your head at the directions it gives sometimes. It can get quite comical. It works though.
    06-22-09 04:42 PM
    An informative GPS thread for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/su...thread-247313/
    06-22-09 04:49 PM
    Nav4All gives turn-by-turn voice directions and it's free. If you know your way around town, though, you find yourself scratching your head at the directions it gives sometimes. It can get quite comical. It works though.
    I think that is true for all GPS devices including portable units and those built into cars. If you know your way around you will almost always find your GPS giving a less direct route. It is for the times that you have no clue that the GPS really helps because you don't know any better
    06-22-09 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD