Hey gang, I am a first time BB user and have very limited computer knowledge beyond basic tasks. I have downloaded many mp4s from superdave and they are not optimised for the 9530. I tried handbrake to no avail... any suggestions on how to convert these from a file I downloaded to the full use of the storms screen ?
    04-25-09 02:58 PM
    well what seems to be the problem, are they not playing at all or do the videos not take up all of the screen?
    04-25-09 03:40 PM
    the videos are not full screen.. this takes away from the enjoyment seeing letterbox mess.
    04-25-09 03:42 PM
    well that is a problem that most people deal with and it might be a little difficult to solve because many movies have different aspect ratios

this might help you out look at this
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/dv...ml#post1537770
    04-25-09 03:59 PM
    after following step by step it then said unsupported format ? Such a beautiful screen going to waste.
    04-25-09 04:02 PM
    after following step by step it then said unsupported format ? Such a beautiful screen going to waste.
    You need to be more specific. What says unsupported format? The Storm or your converter (handbrake, super, etc)? If it's the Storm, then you're probably not selecting a compatible codec. Make sure you're using either MPEG-4 (ffmpeg) or h.264 for your codec.
    04-25-09 06:14 PM
    My storm is... taking the mp4 from superdave I downloaded from megaupload and trying to convert it from the pearl spec to use the full screen of the storm.
    04-26-09 07:28 AM
    You are not going to find a converter that can do much with a widescreen/letterbox format movie, because of the aspect ratio. You may not be happy with the results, because many times the image becomes distorted. I for one cannot stand to watch fullscreen (pan & scan) movies on TV or my Storm, but I understand it's also not for everyone. Just so you know, anything that I post in Dave's thread, will be in widescreen format. But, other contributors are working on some pan & scan titles. The situation is, more film makers are going to widescreen formats as they release DVDs, because it is becoming more accepted so it's harder to get pan & scan copies.
    04-26-09 07:54 AM
    My storm is... taking the mp4 from superdave I downloaded from megaupload and trying to convert it from the pearl spec to use the full screen of the storm.
    Well, did you use a supported codec?
    04-26-09 08:59 AM
    Just like on a widescreen TV in your home and non widescreen tvs your going to have the black spaces top and bottom....no matter what. The movies are not filmed that way....maybe try ripping a fullscreen movie and converting it using handbrake...see how that turns out. I have no problem with the view of widescreen on anything you get to see all of the intended shot
    04-26-09 09:39 AM
    just try formatfactory google it works for me
    04-26-09 10:29 AM
    Use winavi to convert to mp4 you can also change the aspect ratio as well. Just go download Divx en
    coders for FREE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 12:00 PM
    Hey gang, I am a first time BB user and have very limited computer knowledge beyond basic tasks. I have downloaded many mp4s from superdave and they are not optimised for the 9530. I tried handbrake to no avail... any suggestions on how to convert these from a file I downloaded to the full use of the storms screen ?
    First thing is u need to have a program from erightsoft.com called super which is free. There is a post in the videos section but I will summarized
    You want to use mp4 as the container and mp4 as the video codec and aac lc for the audio. The audio can be set to 2 channel (stereo) if u intend to use it on a stereo headset. Sampling cannot be 48000 so male it 44100 or lower.
    The video btitrate should be no more than 1200 but the resolution should be 480x272 for widescreen movies. And 480x320 for full screen movies... Try that ok? Oh yea framerate at 25 is good.

04-26-09 02:04 PM
    Use MPEG Streamclip and Quicktime alternative 1.8 (both are free). It will convert most anything and works like a charm for me. You can specify any resolution you want.
    04-26-09 02:10 PM
    As long as a film is in widescreen format, you cannot remove the black bars. Changing the format/resolution will only change the size. Most converters stretch the image to fit the screen, but the end result never looks good no matter how good the software renders it.
    04-26-09 03:31 PM
    As long as a film is in widescreen format, you cannot remove the black bars. Changing the format/resolution will only change the size. Most converters stretch the image to fit the screen, but the end result never looks good no matter how good the software renders it.
    Yes you can, use the software that came with your phone. It will convert all types of video to full screen on your storm!

04-26-09 03:36 PM
    Yes you can, use the software that came with your phone. It will convert all types of video to full screen on your storm!

I tried it. It only stretches the image (makes it taller) black bars are still there, just not as noticable. Image looses it's resolution.
    04-26-09 03:38 PM
    I just downloaded and installed format factory. Thanks for the tip johnny9374. I converted a Youtube video and a movie from my Canon camera. Both worked perfectly on the Storm.
    04-26-09 03:42 PM
    Look people, there's only 3 ways to convert from widescreen to 4:3.

1. Scale - this distorts the video and you usually end up with distorted extra tall stretched images
    2. Crop (or scale & crop) - cut off left & right parts of the image and rescale. This gives you 4:3 (no "black bars") but you lose part of the image (namely the left and right sides).
    3. Pan & Scan - many DVDs do this by selectively choosing a 4:3 "box" to display only parts of the full widescreen video.

My advice: stay with widescreen videos. If you don't like the "black bars" effect, find a 4:3 non-widescreen source.
    04-26-09 04:37 PM
    Three professional and powerful software are all available on the market now.
    4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum, 4Videosoft iPod to Computer Transfer, 4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum

4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum:

1.Easy to use
    4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum is really easy to use. The whole process of conversion can be finished in few clicks.
    2.Support all the parameters.
    All the parameters of profile can be provided for you to choose the exact settings for your players.
    3.Support preview
    You can preview both your source video and the effect of converted video before you begin the conversion.
    4.Fastest conversion speed
    Provide the fastest conversion speed (>300%), completely support dual core CPU.
    5.Powerful editing functions
    Support the mutual conversion between all the popular video and audio formats;
    extract audio from video;video splitter,video cropper;video joiner;take snapshot.

4Videosoft iPod to Computer Transfer:

1.Transfer iPod to Computer
    4Videosoft iPod to Computer Transfer makes it easy to transfer or backup iPod songs, music, videos to Computer without losing anything.
    2.Discern iPod property automatically
    This software would discern your iPod properties after you connect your iPod, including the iPod type, capacity (used and available space), version, serial number, and format.
    3.Track Filter and quick search
    Find what you want quickly and easily, and sorted by Genre, Artist, Album.
    4.Easy to use
    Only a few step to finish all the transfer from iPod to Computer, connect your iPod, select what you want transfer songs or movies, export to Computer.
    5.Support all iPod devices
    Support iPod, iPod nano, iPod classic, iPod shuffle, iPod touch, iPod Touch 2.x, iPhone, iPhone 3G.

4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum:

1: Easy to use
    4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum is really easy to use. The whole process of conversion can be finished in few clicks.
    2: Support all the parameters
    All the parameters of profile can be provided for you to choose the exact settings for your players.
    3: Support preview
    You can preview both your source video and the effect of converted video before you begin the conversion.
    4: Fastest conversion speed
    Provide the fastest conversion speed (>300%), completely support dual core CPU.
    5.Powerful editing functions
    Support the mutual conversion between all the popular video and audio formats;
    extract audio from video;video splitter,video cropper;video joiner;take snapshot.
    These do not convert widescreen into "full" screen. They just stretch the image. Depending on the format, they will not remove the black bars because they are part of the displayed images.
    04-28-09 08:29 AM
    You should set your videos when converting it into mp4 format, then it can be full screen in your BB, go to this tutorial, it will tell you how to make best settings when converting videos:
    http://bestvideoconvertersoftware.bl...lackberry.html
    blackstorm77 is wrong. The link he provided will *not* tell you how to convert widescreen to 4:3; it seems like just a rehash of a howto post from crackberry's forums about converting movies for a BB in general. The mp4 format alone does not make a video full screen.

Like jbdale and I said before, there's only a limited number of ways to do it. You can either manually crop & scale or find an application to do it for you. I prefer the manual method via handbrake. Then again, I prefer to leave videos as widescreen, but ymmv.
    04-28-09 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD