No problem man. Great vid by the way!!
    01-18-09 10:31 AM
    Would the Torx screw or this fix work better for a situation where the problem is localized and only exists along the lower edge (lower while in portrait mode), particularly in the center of the lower edge. The edges are not that bad.
    01-18-09 10:40 AM
    This is the best fix by far! It does involve taking the phone apart however its worth the hassle. I did this on my GF's phone as well and she loves it!
    01-18-09 10:43 AM
    Absolutely wonderful. Notice: Your device may not click normally until you completely re-assemble the phone, so do not worry when your screen doesn't seem to click right. The screws on the back pull the board away from the screen which allows your screen to click right once again. Thanks for the fix! This should be a permanent one!

Update: The screen has a much more meaningful and deep click, like it should have had.
    Last edited by ryanbg; 01-18-09 at 10:58 AM.
    01-18-09 10:56 AM
    Ryan, glad you decided to perform this fix.

it's a lot better than "out of the box" and it's the way a storm should be.
    Last edited by G450; 01-18-09 at 01:50 PM.
    01-18-09 01:42 PM
    Great info.
    BTW,
    As long as you have it open, you can cut a strip of electric tape(very thin, width of spaghetti) and stick it to the sides of the screen to help keep dust under screen and light bleeding. This also limits the screen from moving side to side too much but does not affect the screen click.
    01-18-09 03:11 PM
    Hey G450,

This looks like a great fix. I think it would be a good idea if you could post an update in a month on how the phone is still working. These Storms can get hot and I know that sometimes the glue on the sticky side of electrical tape can get kind of gummy over time when heat is involved. I'm wondering if the tape might start to move around or even slide off the button? Time will tell, but please do update us later.

Grey
    01-19-09 10:41 AM
    G450, I like your fix and will try it maybe in time. What I am wondering about because of some pictures I saw some time ago: on the edge of the backplate or the screen, I don't remember which, there are four transparent plastic thingies sticked on in the corner. My feeling is that these might have something to do with the clicking problem too. Wouldn't changing these to lift the glass a tad higher, or shortening them a bit to let it travel a bit more have the same effect?
    01-19-09 12:06 PM
    For the not so technical people who are among us:

Well, I tried. It did make the storm behave worse than it did before the fix. So.... I was disgruntled a bit. I took the fix out and put the storm back together again. But of course, not without trying to mess about with the torx screws some more. And whaddayaknow.... the storm now clicks perfectly all over. Just had to release the bottom two (longer brass ones as shown in the video) about (not even) half a turn. That's it. Appearantly for the clicking "sensation" to feel complete its precise/delicate details that make it work. Tenth of a mm kind of details. Which actually makes sense since, wel... ever put a stick in a small hole which was just about a mm too big? :-P That stick would move at the end not 1mm but maybe 5 cm, depending on the length of the stick. That is also true for the piece of glass when measured out from the middle. I have the middle torx both half a turn more loosened and the lower torx too then when I got the phone. When loosening the middle torx, the whole gets a bit "flexed" when pressed down. This would seem unnatural, but when you look at the device and its innards when pressing, its almost like.... the thing isn't quite completely in balance when it comes out of fabrication. A very little bit change in the screws is enough to put it back into balance. Look at it as if it were a scale, balancing on the foot, the base in the middle. A very small deviation in the middle to either side is enough to make the end of the scale move quite a bit. In the case of the storm the device is helped a bit when the middle torx are loosened up but since the torx on the bottom are still VERY tightly in place it doesn't give enough (the scale is kept in place) AND the base will even flex a bit when pressed a little too hard, which might end up creating new problems in the long run. When the bottom torx give just a tiny bit of space to the rest of the structure by loosening them, the scale gets to balance itself nicely again without flexing the plates.

I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself really clearly... I guess not Blame it on the fact that its not my native tongue, english, and a bit of alcohol and tiredness. So don't shoot me if you think your storm is a scale now... :P Which is a cool idea for RIM for their next Storm.... a pressure measuring clicking button in the middle Again, a whole new range of applications can be created with that. But.... please, first make this system "assemble-fool-proof". The design is fine by now. Just the tightness of the structure should be taken into account more with assembly, or there should be worked around this principle all together if its not possible to balance the screws better in relation to the glass, button in the middle and the rest of the frame/shell structure.

I'm gonna stop typing, there is more and more **** coming from my mouth..... :X

If you're going to try the fix in the start of this topic please..... please... before opening the casing of the phone completely, just remove the lower and upper cover plates first (like in the topic video) and fiddle about with the torx settings somewhat. Worked for me! I really hope this works for others too. If that won't work, its never too late to open up the shell and place a piece of tape in the middle on top of the button.

My MAIN issue was that the screen did not click evenly throughout the bottom of the screen, mostly in the middle. That is a lot better now.

Andabout the screen wiggly-ness some are talking about: the glass plate is being held above the backplate by means of some sort of "gummi-bear" -like material which is sticked to the glass. If these come loose, or are somewhat longer, the screen will start to wiggle. Most likely the phone will be repaired using new "gummi-bear" strips. I guess these are there to give the whole somewhat of a cushoning effect. When the screen is wiggly I wouldn't worry BUT STOP!! wiggling it about. Then you will break it in the long run. ALSO if you get it repaired or exchanged because of that, you will break it again when you start to wiggle again...

Now I've seen the device from the inside myself I am not afraid anymore that the clicking function will be lost over time, UNLESS the button itself starts to wear away. I'm guesing you'll be using the device for a couple of years before that starts to happen in the design as it is now. The gummi thingies could push up the glass plate just a tiny bit more and be made somewhat softer and bigger, thus making it more solid and still comfortable to press down on. Also the screen wiggling could be solved reasonably well by that.

RIM, use this info... I can't imagine your designers haven't seen this, or haven't thought of this, themselves really, so I'm guessing you have and a new revision of the phone is underway to the market already If it isn't you guys should be spanked quite hard.

For your consideration... :P
    Last edited by TheMisses; 01-20-09 at 02:40 AM.
    01-19-09 03:09 PM
    The Misses,

I'm sorry that your fix did not work. You must be careful on reassembly to ensure that the screen "floats", if this was NOT accomplished this could have been the cause for your fix not working.

Loosening the torx screws is not a fix only a temporary work around.

In answer to your question of the "four transparent plastic thingies", they are dampening pads used to prevent contact of the screen to the board.
    01-20-09 08:46 PM
    The Misses,

I'm sorry that your fix did not work. You must be careful on reassembly to ensure that the screen "floats", if this was NOT accomplished this could have been the cause for your fix not working.

In answer to your question of the "four transparent plastic thingies", they are dampening pads used to prevent contact of the screen to the board.
    Sigh.....I have done the torx fix on well over 40 friends and coworkers storms and not have had one person come to me with any new clicking issues. This includes my torxed storm which is still clicking perfect since I bought it on opening day. I am happy you found another choice that can help others, but implying that this is a temporary fix, when I have seen no evidence of this, is just hearsay.
    01-21-09 01:38 AM
    The Misses,

No no, don't be sad The fix worked, just in another way: trust me, it was seated properly in the frame/chassis. It is floating free right now. The screen feels good all over but when I tighten the torx again up to the point where they were, the clicking issue in the lower part returns. If I tighten them even more then that the screen stops clicking alltogether in the bottom. When I tighten the torx in the middle completely too, the screen is virtually sheit. And virtual sheit or real sheit, putting your thumbs on it and pressing down doesn't really feel nice

I have had only the pleasure of dealing with one storm and its issues so I dear not say that this will work for all storms with clicking issues. BUT I do know for sure that the storms with the clicking issues IN THE BOTTOM PART of the screen WILL be helped by this most definately. And if I hadn't come across your posting I would have never tried this. But seeing as the torx fix works for the most part on the first run of devices with clicking issues (mostly on the sides, middle and the bottom part, top usually seems to click ok), it makes sense that either loosening or tightening the other torx on the different parts of the machine will help the remaining issues. That also seems to coincide with the conclusion made before: the lower part of the screens clicks less good than the top screen.

I think the reason for the statement of RIM that 90% of the devices returned has nothing wrong with them is due to mainly the OS being sheit. Secondly I think the screen clicking issues on this generation of devices is being solved by RIM in the same way. There must have been something wrong with the making of a couple of runs of molds for the device. Something that didn't jump out at them because it was such a small thing. Maybe when the molds for these devices were cast and then cut, the excess plastic was "sanded" off just a couple of tenth of a mm too much. Which seems to make sense.
    Also the screen rests on the gummy plastic, which actually helps to keep it up (apart from the button in the middle itself) and especially on the edges (the button does click, you just don't feel that all too well) making these cushions just that bit taller will help the feeling of having a longer travelling time for the screen, certainly in combination with the torx being just a tad loosened. I think it makes sense on all fronts... Your fix too, it justs lifts the screen up a tad.

Which can make the claim of RIM that there is nothing wrong with 90% of the devices correct. There are no physcial defects. BUT that is a matter of interpretation, just as a garbled OS is. DOES the device function correctly? NO. Is there something really broken? No... So its semantics and statistics once again.

I call shenanigans
    Last edited by TheMisses; 01-21-09 at 03:43 AM.
    01-21-09 03:38 AM
    thanks for the great video
    01-21-09 07:38 AM
    Good info, glad I don't have to do this mine works just fine lol. I can't wait until some ***** breaks their phone trying to do this fix.

In all seriousness THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE DONE why can't they make a phone that does not have to have some backyard fix like every 2 weeks.
    01-21-09 07:45 AM
    Ok here is what I have been encountering.....Ive taken apart 2 BB Storms as I was hoping to figure out how it works. Anyways, flaws I have found with all the fixes.

Card behind the battery door, tape, etc. Good fix but dont like the bulge that it causes and the pressure it puts on the sim and the main board not sure the long term effects.

Torx fix to me makes the screen a lot more wobbly and feels like its going to pop off or something. Also doesn�t provide that click it should have but more of a mushy feeling to it.

Electrical tape was by far the greatest fix from what I thought but��..as the phone charges, being used, heats up, etc. the electrical tape tends to shift off the button causing the click to worsen at certain areas which sucks cause Im at work and cant take it apart till I get home.

Im going to go home and play with the spacing of the boards and also alternative fixes and will let you all know of what I come up with.
    01-28-09 01:36 PM
    Brilliant. Just brilliant. THIS is the way it should've clicked from the get-go.
    01-28-09 11:00 PM
    RIM tried to make something innovative...

Boy did this really blow up in their face...
    01-28-09 11:03 PM
    Ok so finally was able to post after playing with the phone more tonight. As I thought when I had the phone opened the electrical tape shifted as expected so I took that off.

So this is what I thing is best for the ones who dont want to open up the phones I think the card behind the battery is by far the best fix possible out there or something equivlent to that. Electrical take, rubber stop, card, whatever it may be.

Since I had it opened I took a look at the main board and the middle tray (the one that holds the main board) and decided to cut a very small piece of card board and place it between the two behind the clicking mechanism and put it all back together and seems to be working great. Kind of followed the card behind the battery trick but more alongs the inside of the phone so you cant even tell its been modified. No bulging of any sort and phones solid.

Just thought I share with you all!
    01-29-09 12:13 AM
    RIM tried to make something innovative...

Boy did this really blow up in their face...
    1,000,000 units sold since the launch in November................who's laughing now? RIM, that's who.
    01-29-09 12:23 AM
    torx fix worked great..

great post..!
    01-29-09 01:41 AM
    thanx g450, tried the fix and it worked for me. Found the card fix as great but didnt like the fact that i had a card present in the fone. Will see after testing for a while if the tape shifts. The glue on the tape i used seems very strong so i hope it stays. thanx once again.
    01-29-09 03:22 AM
    I cant believe we are fixing brand new phones with business cards,foam,felt tape,electrical tape, and who knows what else people are sticking into their phones. RIM DO YOU SEE THESE FORUMS. FIX THE GOSH DARN PHONE ALREADY!!!!
    01-29-09 08:36 AM
    RIM DO YOU SEE THESE FORUMS. FIX THE GOSH DARN PHONE ALREADY!!!!

Amen......!
    01-29-09 08:59 AM
    I cant believe we are fixing brand new phones with business cards,foam,felt tape,electrical tape, and who knows what else people are sticking into their phones. RIM DO YOU SEE THESE FORUMS. FIX THE GOSH DARN PHONE ALREADY!!!!
    AMEN to that!!!
    01-29-09 11:55 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD