Any word on a software update or even 3rd party app that would let you type without clicking on the screen?

I think the click is great for navigating and web browsing, but for typing messages it's just silly imho.

Thanks all.
    12-21-08 12:27 AM
    I dont think you will be seeing anything like that anytime soon, but hey I could be wrong. I like the click.
    12-21-08 12:29 AM
    you can't do it and i doubt they will ever make it it defeats the whole purpose of the phone although i'm with you it does get annoying while texting and messaging but i'm getting use to it
    12-21-08 12:33 AM
    the typing without clicking would only be beneficial, imo, when you are on a call. remember the curve? people would always ask "whats that noise" when i was replying to a text, or even moving the trackball too fast.....
    12-21-08 12:36 AM
    While I would probably stick with the clicking on the screen, I would definitely like to have the option to switch between the two.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 01:07 AM
    The clicking while texting is why I dont like the storm much, it just slows me down too much and I get very impatient...
    12-21-08 01:09 AM
    I can type pretty fast, but I've been posting on this forum stating I would love this feature.

Navigating is great with the click screen typing it slows me down.
    12-21-08 02:09 AM
    Typing without the click would seriously make this phone 10x better for me. Everyone who does NOT think that typing without the click is better, just open an email and try it. Just tap a message out and see how much better it is

Unless you pause on every key before you press in your accuracy will be inr no way decreased. BRING ON THE CLICKLESS CLICK SCREEN!

12-21-08 02:22 AM
    I used my roommates LG Vu a few times before getting my storm (just to try out an on screen keyboard), and it has haptic feedback. That was all well and good until I got the storm and I was pressing really hard on his Vu today to try and type (he was driving, I was typing for him) waiting for the screen to click.

I think it would be pointless to type without clicking, which is why I don't like using Opera, because touching the screen makes it zoom in.
    12-21-08 03:25 AM
    I like the click. It took me like a day or two to get used to it. Now I can type quick without any problems.
    12-21-08 03:26 AM
    I'm used to the click now especially with OS 83 but I still wish there was an option to turn it off.

12-21-08 03:31 AM
    you can't do it and i doubt they will ever make it it defeats the whole purpose of the phone although i'm with you it does get annoying while texting and messaging but i'm getting use to it
    How can you say that it wont be or let me correct CAN'T be don't. It basically a computer and with the right software you can do pretty much anything!

Just give it a bit of time and there will be a plethora of apps out there that will allow for total customization of the storm.
    12-21-08 03:56 AM
    no doubt someone will come out with an app that allows for clickless typing. the question is how well will it work...
    12-21-08 05:25 AM
    maby in a later os update there will be an option
    12-21-08 08:29 AM
    Isn't the clicking apart of the hardware and not a software problem

12-21-08 09:39 AM
    Isn't the clicking apart of the hardware and not a software problem

well maby you would only need to "tap" the keyboard and click on regualer buttons or something, i dont know. it was just an idea
    12-21-08 09:57 AM
    I asked the Verizon tech on the phone when I was wrestling with setup issues. He said he doubts that they'll add a clickless typing option, a la iPhone.
    12-21-08 10:30 AM
    verizon probably won't, but third party coders might.
    I like the click, so don't really care.
    12-21-08 10:34 AM
    RIM is almost certain never to do this. While it could technically be done, the clicking screen is the single biggest marketing point for the Storm. RIM isn't going to do anything to undermine that. Also, including such an option would likely involve a great deal of recoding for the Storm OS. It would create a lot of specialty code that then has to be maintained, on top of all the specialty code already in OS 4.7 that's currently ONLY used for the Storm.

If there's a second gen Storm, then MAYBE, but I doubt even then. I rather expect other companies will soon start copying RIM with the click screen and the touch screen as we think of it today will become a thing of the past. At least until someone cracks holographic displays that can be projected into mid-air. I'm not betting any of us will see that happen within our lifetimes though.

I'm not so sure third party coders could make this change system wide. It could easily be done on a program by program basis, but then you have to remember which apps require pressing the screen and which can work with simply tapping. Generally, app designers will follow RIM's lead and mimic the BB OS behavior as much as possible.
    12-21-08 10:43 AM
    ^^^yeah i agree, i can't imagine this coming to be.
    12-21-08 10:48 AM
    I don't understand how so many people don't like the clicking feature. I personally would have never bought this phone if it weren't for that because I loathe touchscreen
    12-21-08 10:50 AM
    i do think it makes typing more accurate, the the iPhone
    12-21-08 11:20 AM
    I like the click a lot it think it the coolest thing to hit a cell phone since those light up antennas and face plates everyone used to get for their Nokia phones

12-21-08 11:30 AM
    I like the click a lot it think it the coolest thing to hit a cell phone since those light up antennas and face plates everyone used to get for their Nokia phones

Lol! I remember those, they were absolutely horrendous!
    12-21-08 11:39 AM
    I think the click screen is a feature that is best utilized for navigation of menus. Although I love the keyboard aspect of the screen, having the option to go clickless just for text input seems to make sense to me. I would think that implementing
    such an option for just the keyboard should be doable.

12-21-08 11:49 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD