Has anyone (ie is it possible) achieved a decent typing speed with the touch keyboard? I'm still so slow with it, poke poke oops delete poke dammit delete poke poke... like 5 words a minute. years ago I had a flip phone and used the number pad with the TNG text feature, man I swear I could have typed a book in record time on that thing.
    07-15-09 11:18 AM
    You will get used to it, and get faster. I was texting-averse and hated the thought of even putting names into my phonebook. Then, I got a storm, my thumbs became more tactile, and I can crank out long winded posts with record speed. The most important thing to get used to is casually ignoring misspelled words and letting the auto correct tool fix them for you. The second most important thing is to get good at backspace-space so you can override the autocorrecter.

Posted by my verizon wireless knickknackberry
    07-15-09 11:22 AM
    Like others said, it takes time to get used to the keyboard/screen click. I think most Storm owners are typing at a pretty decent speed.

I recommend using the SureType keyboard (two letters per button). At first you'll hate it, but after a couple days, you'll be flying through texts/emails.
    07-15-09 11:27 AM
    Whoa you use your thumbs? I'm trying to carefully use the point of my index finger and I still miss a letter. .. Auto corrector? I do notice it sometimes puts a word up guessing what I'm trying to type, is that what you mean?

Keyboard version? Just that qwerty looking one it comes up with. I didn't know I could choose keyboards?
    07-15-09 11:27 AM
    Now that i'm on my 3rd touchscreen phone I have gotten a pretty good typing speed. I got it from using the Dare, cause it was alot faster than the Voyager. Plus Blackberries have spell check so if you misspell a word it corrects it for you.
    07-15-09 11:34 AM
    I just tried writing an email with my thumbs holding the phone in lanscape mode, it does work pretty good! I also finished the word even if I missed a letter and the auto correct did catch most. cool tips!
    07-15-09 11:35 AM
    I type a whole paragraph (entire 160) in less than 30 seconds. Play with the touch settings, and make sure you have done a Click Fix, if needed.
    07-15-09 11:43 AM
    I don't have a storm. I need an actually keyboard. Learned my lesson. But I got type speeder, in app world ($2). You can improve & count your wpm. I'm up to 58wpm....
    07-15-09 11:54 AM
    Whoa you use your thumbs? I'm trying to carefully use the point of my index finger and I still miss a letter. .. Auto corrector? I do notice it sometimes puts a word up guessing what I'm trying to type, is that what you mean?

Keyboard version? Just that qwerty looking one it comes up with. I didn't know I could choose keyboards?
    Yeah you definitely need to use your thumbs if you want speed. I see by your above post that you tried it and worked well. Also try and make sure you use your right thumb for the right side of the keyboard and your left thumb for the left side. It definitely helps by not accidentally hitting the wrong keys.
    07-15-09 12:07 PM
    Cool thanks for the tips, I'll keep practicing. I think I'm set up, sure type 2 letters, auto correct,etc.

Man you guys are FAST, holy kyrobie!
    07-15-09 12:16 PM
    I had the same problem with always hitting wrong keys until I found a post on BlackberryForums.com. I switched my keyboard settings under options to:

Tap Interval 100
    Hover Period 100
    Swipe Sensitivity 6
    Key Rate Fast

I noticed a huge difference.
    Last edited by barryloy; 07-15-09 at 01:01 PM.
    07-15-09 12:59 PM
    Personally the keyboard can't keep up with me. I've gotten my typing down pretty good but my phone lags so much that when I type out full sentences, I only get half of what I typed out appear on the screen.

I do have a bunch of things running in the background but they need to be there for work purposes. I just wish my Storm was just a hare faster and wouldn't lag on me when I type out a message.
    07-15-09 01:08 PM
    Personally the keyboard can't keep up with me. I've gotten my typing down pretty good but my phone lags so much that when I type out full sentences, I only get half of what I typed out appear on the screen.

I do have a bunch of things running in the background but they need to be there for work purposes. I just wish my Storm was just a hare faster and wouldn't lag on me when I type out a message.
    Upgrade to .151 and kiss the lag goodbye.

I used to have lag really bad, like I could type out a message and watch the keys catch up with me. Not anymore, it's as fast as I am and I wouldn't consider myself the fastest. But, I've almost become faster on my storm than I ever was with 2 years usage on the 8830.
    07-15-09 01:12 PM
    I had the same problem with always hitting wrong keys until I found a post on BlackberryForums.com. I switched my keyboard settings under options to:

Tap Interval 100
    Hover Period 100
    Swipe Sensitivity 6
    Key Rate Fast

I noticed a huge difference.
    Where do you find those settings? I looked and can't find where to access that?

Upgrade to .151 and kiss the lag goodbye
    I picked check for updates and the BB server said no updates, so I'm probably at .151? I just got the phone so I bet Verizon had it updated?
    07-15-09 01:17 PM

I picked check for updates and the BB server said no updates, so I'm probably at .151? I just got the phone so I bet Verizon had it updated?
    .151 is a non official release of the software. You can find it on the Beta OS forum.
    07-15-09 01:22 PM
    OH ok, then I must have the previous. Has .151 been stable? Beta stuff scares me
    07-15-09 01:24 PM
    OH ok, then I must have the previous. Has .151 been stable? Beta stuff scares me
    I'm mistaken it IS an official release, but not with VZW. So even if it's not beta, it's still unsupported by VZW.
    07-15-09 01:31 PM
    Overall I would say that 60 words per minute is very achievable on the storm. I typed this whole post in about 40 seconds using the SureType keyboard. I timed myself.

On a side note: does anyone know of any good websites to visit on the blackberry to test your typing speed? It would be interesting to know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 03:35 PM
    Overall I would say that 60 words per minute is very achievable on the storm. I typed this whole post in about 40 seconds using the SureType keyboard. I timed myself.

On a side note: does anyone know of any good websites to visit on the blackberry to test your typing speed? It would be interesting to know.
    I'm not sure about a webpage to do it, but you can buy TyperSpeed. It isn't designed all that well for the Storm, but it gets the job done. It's well worth the buck or two.

I can pretty hit 45wpm in landscape mode. I very rarely use portrait mode, so I'm not sure.
    07-15-09 04:45 PM
    I use SureType.... i type very very fast.... people look at me dumbfounded when they see me use it lol
    07-15-09 04:48 PM
    play word mole!! It helps you practice. .151 is not available from verizon through your download manager. Check the Storm OS forums on this site for instructions on where to get it and how to install etc.
    07-15-09 05:13 PM
    once you get used to it you will not worry about misspelling words and things like that. Its a bb it hides a lot of mistakes. Just like anything else new its a learning curve to it. Good luck you'll have it down in no time

07-15-09 05:21 PM

Options>screen/keyboard

07-15-09 06:46 PM
    Options>screen/keyboard
    Thanks!

45-60 wpm!!! OMG sheesh! I can't even type that fast on a computer keyboard anymore LOL in highschool I could do 83 wpm on a typewriter, those days are gone. Man if I can hit 25 wpm on my storm I'll be happy.

I'd love to see a video of one of you guys typing that fast, be inspirational and cool to see
    07-15-09 07:59 PM
    Well it doesn't take very long to learn how to type. Landscape is defiantly the easier of the two. I finish my sentences and watch it catch up

07-15-09 08:30 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD