When I type a many into the to: section of a text message it then asks me which number I want to text from the contact. Why doesn't it assume I want to send it to the Mobile #? Do that many people really send texts to a Land Line?? This seems like an extra step that could waste alot of time if texting multiple people!!!!
    12-24-08 11:03 AM
    When I type a many into the to: section of a text message it then asks me which number I want to text from the contact. Why doesn't it assume I want to send it to the Mobile #? Do that many people really send texts to a Land Line?? This seems like an extra step that could waste alot of time if texting multiple people!!!!
    How would the phone know if a number is for a land line or a mobile phone?
    12-24-08 11:55 AM
    Well, I don't always specify in a contact that the number I'm assigning is actually a mobile number. Sometimes I'm lazy and just put it under the first category that comes up, which I believe is a work number. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so there's a probable necessity for it.
    12-24-08 11:59 AM
    People do have multiple cell phones (one for business one for personal use). How do you expect a phone to recognize a cell phone from a land line?

You've been complaining about the littlest, irrational things.
    12-24-08 12:00 PM
    Exactly, sometimes people store a person's number as home even though it is a cell phone in the absence of a land line. Because there is no data base of prefixes that identify the type of line, it is necessary to get this prompt.
    12-24-08 12:02 PM
    On a similar note (and since this discussion seems to be over), all of my contacts have the same number saved under mobile # and work #. Is there a quick way to combine/delete the duplicate entries? Thanks
    12-24-08 12:32 PM
    I highly agree with you. Assuming everyone is putting contacts in their respective categories it definately makes sense that if you put someones number in "mobile" if you want to send an "SMS" then it should be able to just slap that mobile number in there w/o having to choose.
    12-24-08 01:24 PM
    I highly agree with you. Assuming everyone is putting contacts in their respective categories it definately makes sense that if you put someones number in "mobile" if you want to send an "SMS" then it should be able to just slap that mobile number in there w/o having to choose.

Well, for starters I believe there's only an option for ONE mobile number under each contact. Some people have two or more. There may be a need for you to use on of the other categories for an otherwise mobile number.

Second...I don't know see why this is such a bother. My phone hasn't prompted me for this either.
    12-24-08 01:29 PM
    I put the number where they belong. It is the OCD in me to make it correct. Also I would like for it to assume or think that the number I want to use for SMS is the Mobile #. Or use a feature from Nokia. On all of my Nokia phone I could make a number the default SMS/MMS number and one of the emails the default email address.

I found that very time saving after you take the time to do that to your contact entries. I would start with the most frequently used contacts since I have well over 400+ contacts and then modify additional contact entries as needed. This also helped with contact entries that I had a personal mobile and a business mobile entry.

Sometimes you have think outside of the box instead of just conforming to backwards or ill thought out ways to do it. This is by no means saying RIM way is this, I just think they can be improved upon.
    12-24-08 01:43 PM
    People do have multiple cell phones (one for business one for personal use). How do you expect a phone to recognize a cell phone from a land line?

You've been complaining about the littlest, irrational things.
    So..., I am attacked already and I have only posted three times...

Windows Mobile while crazy annoiying and buggy was able to do this. It was smart enough to know that when I typed in a name i wanted the mobile #. You then could go in and select a different number if you wanted to.

I think this makes a lot more sence since 90% of the time you are going to use the mobile #. Then if you need to still choose a number you can. Why sould we have to make a choice EVERYTIME we enter a contact?

That is why they make the distinction in the Contact List for mobile and land line!

Now, I know what is coming next, I have seen enough of these threads to know that I will be told to just get rid of my storm and go back to Windows Mobile if I am not happy.

However, I like my storm. I am simply seeing if other people notice these little things that could easily be fixed by RIM.

Thanks!
    Last edited by fig95; 12-24-08 at 02:03 PM.
    12-24-08 01:57 PM

Windows Mobile while crazy annoiying and buggy was able to do this. It was smart enough to know that when I typed in a name i wanted the mobile #. You then could go in and select a different number if you wanted to.

I think this makes a lot more sence since 90% of the time you are going to use the mobile #. Then if you need to still choose a number you can. Why sould we have to make a choice EVERYTIME we enter a contact?

That is why they make the distinction in the Contact List for mobile and land line!

Now, I know what is coming next, I have seen enough of these threads to know that I will be told to just get rid of my storm and go back to Windows Mobile if I am not happy.

However, I like my storm. I am simply seeing if other people notice these little things that could easily be fixed by RIM.

Thanks!
    Dont worry not only WinMo did that but so did Nokia even if it was you setting what your default was. Think RIM will eventually add it to the OS. But for now there is no easy work around. I also do not think it will be that difficult for RIM to do this either.

Dont worry dont think it was an attack directly to you. There has been such an influx of new threads over so many things that when something does come up that has not been talked about, it is still seen as a noob complaint/question.

Welcome to the forums and you will see things are so bad here that it is actually a nice place to learn, help, and read about anything and everything blackberry.

Also happy holidays!!
    12-24-08 02:09 PM

Thanks!
    Not really an attack on you or anything, just pointing out that you've been complaining about very minor things.

If it makes you feel any better, I wish RIM would allow you to input more than one email address per contact as they have both a personal and work email account. A slight pet peeve but no big deal.
    12-24-08 02:31 PM
    Dont worry not only WinMo did that but so did Nokia even if it was you setting what your default was. Think RIM will eventually add it to the OS. But for now there is no easy work around. I also do not think it will be that difficult for RIM to do this either.

Dont worry dont think it was an attack directly to you. There has been such an influx of new threads over so many things that when something does come up that has not been talked about, it is still seen as a noob complaint/question.

Welcome to the forums and you will see things are so bad here that it is actually a nice place to learn, help, and read about anything and everything blackberry.

Also happy holidays!!
    Appreciate it Ainvar! Happy holidays to you too!

I think an option would be great. You could choose to default to the mobile phone or be asked.

I also agree that you should be able to add multiple e-mails. Again you could with WinMo and WinMo is not even close to as nice as the BB OS.

I think both of these could be easily added by RIM.
    Last edited by fig95; 12-24-08 at 02:43 PM.
    12-24-08 02:40 PM
    I think my Storm should be able to cook me breakfast.
    12-24-08 02:46 PM
    I put the number where they belong. It is the OCD in me to make it correct. Also I would like for it to assume or think that the number I want to use for SMS is the Mobile #. Or use a feature from Nokia. On all of my Nokia phone I could make a number the default SMS/MMS number and one of the emails the default email address.

I found that very time saving after you take the time to do that to your contact entries. I would start with the most frequently used contacts since I have well over 400+ contacts and then modify additional contact entries as needed. This also helped with contact entries that I had a personal mobile and a business mobile entry.

Sometimes you have think outside of the box instead of just conforming to backwards or ill thought out ways to do it. This is by no means saying RIM way is this, I just think they can be improved upon.
    +1

Happy holidays
    12-24-08 02:53 PM
    For my thoughts I agree with the poster.
    I usually get all the info I need from reading all the ins and outs of the
    forums. I'm pretty easy about short comings and advantages in all
    firmware levels. I do get a bit smoked though about having to hit
    several buttons to send a SMS... and to the correct number.
    Nothing worse than hitting the wrong prompt and 'this line can not accept
    sms.... since I hit a landline instead of the mobile, I then have to type it all
    out again.

True a 'option' would be best... sms to mobile only.. we'd still have to
    select sms/mms/email.

As far as multi cell # I'd need to manage this, there are plenty of
    entries for numbers.. eight pkus a pin if they're a bb user..
    and for those who just put the numbers in.. well that's why they have
    desitantion ids (home1-2/work 1-2/mobile etc...) and for those who
    don't see this, if you only have one number there's no conflict, try
    putting in a email address on a single number.. it asked to go to email as well..

I suspect this is a small item but human factors are all part of
    overall feel....
    12-24-08 03:31 PM
    I wish RIM would allow you to input more than one email address per contact.
    You can do this, actually. Select the contact, click Menu > Edit, then click Menu > Add Email Address. I've got one contact with two email addresses and I still get this option, so I don't know if there's a limit.

FWIW, I'd also love a setting that tells my Storm to assume if I'm sending an SMS or MMS that I want it to go to the contact's mobile #, and if I'm sending an email, that I want it to go to the first email (or the one I'd highlighted when I first initiated the email). I keep my numbers organized by mobile/home/office, and have no contacts with multiple mobile numbers, and this duplication of effort is a pet peeve of mine.
    At this point, I'm keeping the faith that RIM will add stuff like this in upcoming releases.
    12-24-08 03:43 PM
    Not sure how many you can have, but I've entered up to 3 email addresses per contact.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 03:49 PM
    i'd also like an option to default to mobile when sms or mms'ing.

more than one mobile field sounds like a reasonable addition as well, or the ability to rename the tag for a number.

also, is there anyway to select a default CALLING number? like I have my friends' house numbers that I never call in my phone just in case i need to call them there....but I'd rather be able to just set the mobile as the default so when their name came up I could just hit send/call and it would call the default.

also wifi plz. lolz jk
    01-23-09 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD