ok so hi everybody ive had the BB storm for a few days and im new to BB this is the first ive had ive worked everything out except for when i turn if off it seems to be not fully off in sort of like a sleep mode and when i press the on button it comes straight on now when i turn it off on the night it does the sleep sort of mode then when i get up in the mornin ive got low battery how can i turn it off fully

p.s im sorry if this has been posted before

xx
    01-31-09 05:23 AM
    What did the manual say when you read it?
    01-31-09 05:24 AM
    i have the uk manual , it shows a diagram of the phone and points to the buttons and just says end/power key - return to home menu , end a call and turn on/off your device ive looked else where in it and it does not say anything else
    01-31-09 05:30 AM
    i have the uk manual , it shows a diagram of the phone and points to the buttons and just says end/power key - return to home menu , end a call and turn on/off your device ive looked else where in it and it does not say anything else
    never mind the other dude. When you click on the power off button it should give you the option of "full power off" or "power off"...you want to click full power off. BTW make sure you dont have any alarms or reminders as it wont turn on by itself in the morning.
    01-31-09 05:39 AM
    Are you turning off the phone by holding down the red 'end' key?

Hold it long enough for a message to pop up on screen that the phone is turning off.
    01-31-09 08:07 AM
    ok so hi everybody ive had the BB storm for a few days and im new to BB this is the first ive had ive worked everything out except for when i turn if off it seems to be not fully off in sort of like a sleep mode and when i press the on button it comes straight on now when i turn it off on the night it does the sleep sort of mode then when i get up in the mornin ive got low battery how can i turn it off fully

p.s im sorry if this has been posted before

xx
    I forgot how to access it but I have a powerup icon actually on the glass screen.

Click that and it will power down for sure.

Then I charge it overnight. Works well for me
    01-31-09 08:49 AM
    never mind the other dude. When you click on the power off button it should give you the option of "full power off" or "power off"...you want to click full power off. BTW make sure you dont have any alarms or reminders as it wont turn on by itself in the morning.
    ok tryed this when i hold down the power button all it says is "!turning handheld off press any key to abort" then if i jus tap the button it comes bk on within a second i havent got the option to click full power off and it doesnt say n e thing in the manual either
    Last edited by helen26686; 01-31-09 at 10:00 AM.
    01-31-09 09:58 AM
    ok tryed this when i hold down the power button all it says is !turing of handset press any key to abort then if i press it agen it come bk on within a second
    hmmm

that is odd

do you wait until the "press any key to abort" is completely gone?

that should be the correct way to power it off

perhaps you have an app running that interferes with this power down process?
    01-31-09 10:00 AM
    it says is "!turning handheld off press any key to abort" then if i jus tap the button it comes bk on
    That is what "press any key to abort" SHOULD do.

Even when it's off, hitting the red phone button will turn it back on.
    01-31-09 10:15 AM
    The only difference between "power off" and "FULL power off" is Full power off will ignore the auto on/off function (and/or alarms *I think*) if it is enabled.

Maybe just keep the phone plugged into the charger over night?

That's what "some" folks do :-)
    Last edited by nightfishing; 01-31-09 at 10:33 AM.
    01-31-09 10:19 AM
    hmmm

that is odd

do you wait until the "press any key to abort" is completely gone?

that should be the correct way to power it off

perhaps you have an app running that interferes with this power down process?
    theres no apps runnin cause the phone seems to run a little slower when there on still so id know if id left them on plus i wait for the press any key to abort sign to go the screen goes black like its off but in the morning when i just tap the power on key it comes straight on and my gone down ive even gone in to the menu and selected the power off one and it says the same thing
    01-31-09 10:23 AM
    If you are expecting it to turn off and then need to "reboot" when you turn it back on, it doesn't work that way.

If the battery is dying while the phone is off, that may be an issue, but the phone turning on when you hit the power button is correct.
    01-31-09 10:36 AM
    If you are expecting it to turn off and then need to "reboot" when you turn it back on, it doesn't work that way.

If the battery is dying while the phone is off, that may be an issue, but the phone turning on when you hit the power button is correct.
    i have no full power off option i do not have no option it only turns off anf its in sort off stand by which is using battery power i dont want it do do that i want to full power off but i have no option for that
    01-31-09 10:43 AM
    If you don't have auto on/off enabled, you will NOT get a "Full Power Off" option, BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. One ignores the next "auto on" command.

It is a confusing way to phrase it on RIM's part, IMHO.

The actually state of the phone when it is off is what you are describing as "sleep mode" or "stand by".

As far as the battery dying, I don't *think* it should do that, but mine is always charging when it is off, so I don't have any experience to draw off of.

If you are going to "use" the bb to any extent, it would be a good habit to get into, anyways. Multiple days without a recharge are pushing the envelope for many "users"
    Last edited by nightfishing; 01-31-09 at 10:56 AM.
    01-31-09 10:50 AM
    Put rather simply, Blackberries do not have a "fully off" state like feature/non-smart phones. They are actually somewhat known for their "always on" operation. Best you can do, short of pulling out the battery, is to put them into a kind of deep sleep mode by holding down the red end key or pressing the power button on the main screen.

Given the rather lengthy boot time for these phones, you'll come to appreciate this more and more as time goes by.
    01-31-09 10:53 AM
    I bet you got really excited when you found someone you could trash. It takes a lot of b__s to cut someone off at the knees when they are asking for help.
    01-31-09 11:43 AM
    If you don't have auto on/off enabled, you will NOT get a "Full Power Off" option, BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. One ignores the next "auto on" command.

It is a confusing way to phrase it on RIM's part, IMHO.

The actually state of the phone when it is off is what you are describing as "sleep mode" or "stand by".

As far as the battery dying, I don't *think* it should do that, but mine is always charging when it is off, so I don't have any experience to draw off of.

If you are going to "use" the bb to any extent, it would be a good habit to get into, anyways. Multiple days without a recharge are pushing the envelope for many "users"
    ok so tryed auto off/on again and its worked this time it comes it but wich mode is better does everybody think does the normal sleep sort of mode use a lot off battery or will it last for a few days like it, i havent fully charged my hone either yet so do you reckon if i do this it will not go dwn as quick
    01-31-09 03:49 PM
    You can change what the power button does. Perform a full shutdown or sleep/hibernate hybrid type kind of mode... Of course I never worry about it as I stick my phone on the charging pod and use it as a great digital alarm clock so I could be wrong.
    01-31-09 03:58 PM
    When I first got my Storm back in November (my first BB), I too wondered about the Power Off thing. It was clear to me that this was different than what I was used to, that the phone was not really 100% shut down, thus the rapid on when you turn it back on.

Also, forget about days and days of battery power. My old phone needed charging once a week. My Storm "can" go two days without charging, but that's with minimal use. I hit the red power button every night before I go to bed and plug the phone in to charge overnight.

Also, I quit using the "Auton On/Off" feature, as I found that it would turn on at three-dam*- O'Clock when some spam email came in, and of course, dutifully notifying me!

All of this has been explained in bits and pieces through this thread, so I thought I'd just sum it all up for you.
    01-31-09 07:01 PM
    Incoming email shouldn't "wake" it up if the Auto Off feature is set.

Mine "sleeps" until 7 am and then proceeds to receive my messages, then.

It's how I know how rough a morning I am going to have ;-)
    01-31-09 07:28 PM
    I know what you mean about the quick turn on. Because when I bought my storm, the verizon guy was saying that one of the downfalls to the phone is the 4 min start up time it take to get going once its turned on.

But i never encountered this "boot up" time, it literally takes like 2 seconds to turn on.
    05-08-09 01:06 AM
    I know what you mean about the quick turn on. Because when I bought my storm, the verizon guy was saying that one of the downfalls to the phone is the 4 min start up time it take to get going once its turned on.

But i never encountered this "boot up" time, it literally takes like 2 seconds to turn on.
    The boot up time of 4 min is a cold boot. ( Battery removed from Phone ). When you turn off you phone with the power off option, i believe the phone is not totally off. The phone is still drawing power from the battery to power the ram. thats why the fast boot up with a push of a button. if you want a full power down, you'll have to remove the battery, down side.. long boot up. (everything has to be reloaded onto the ram ) like a PC. Hope this helps explained the princple of the power down and battery pull option.
    Last edited by bruce6996; 05-08-09 at 07:30 AM.
    05-08-09 07:02 AM
    The way I see it, it is a lot like your computer. The power off feature on the phone acts like the log off on a computer. If you log off verses shutting the computer down, it is very quick to log back in. That is because most of the computer (all of the actual computer) is already on. When you log into it, your custom settings, desktop, applications in startup are loaded. However, if you shut the computer down all the way, then it not only has to load your settings, but the entire operating system as well. Hope it helps.
    05-08-09 07:34 AM
    Why would anybody want to turn off their BB? Thats just crazy talk....
    05-08-09 07:39 AM
    I think thats what the OP was referring to. And the answer to his question his:

If you want to turn your BB completely off, take out the battery. This has a 4 min reboot time.

If you want to turn off your BB and have the quick reboot time, turn off phone as posted in the manual.
    05-08-09 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD