Talking to a friend who insists turning off the 3g option and using my storm in GPRS saves on battery life? Has anyone else heard this? Ive tried it for a day and dont see to much difference.......
    11-07-09 02:47 PM
    Yes, it is know to save significant battery life!
    11-07-09 02:52 PM
    Even if its true are u going to keep 3g off? Does that make sense to slow your service down that much?
    11-07-09 02:52 PM
    Does it slow the service down that much tho. OK so the internet is gonna be a little less reponsive but what else is it gonna effect that much?
    11-07-09 02:55 PM
    It really only affects Browsing, you can turn it on whenever you use the Internet...

You still receive SMS, Email, Calls and everything else the same
    11-07-09 02:58 PM
    Is this a well known thing? If it only effects the browsing how come more people are not talking about this? Ive read every thread i could find on saving the battery life but never seen this.....
    11-07-09 03:02 PM
    I can't tell you why people don't do it, maybe they don't know about it...
    11-07-09 03:05 PM
    Ok cheers for your quick reply jancy.
    11-07-09 03:07 PM
    No problem...

Just try it, if you notice anything different then just switch back...

I keep 3G off on my Bold and only turn it on to browse, and I have never noticed anything slow down, just the browser
    11-07-09 03:12 PM
    How do you turn 3g off?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 04:28 PM
    This is a GSM mode feature, VZW customers cant do this.
    11-07-09 04:35 PM
    I'm with Telus Canada and whenever I turn my GSM/UMTS on it wont work..whether its on 3G...2G...or 3G/2G...it just says SOS where the signals appear
    11-07-09 08:04 PM
    Nice post ill try it

11-08-09 02:38 AM
    This post is misleading the majority of storm owners do not have this option. Verizon is cdma only and can not use gsm unless they have a account and sim card with a gsm carrier.

11-08-09 12:31 PM
    This post is misleading the majority of storm owners do not have this option. Verizon is cdma only and can not use gsm unless they have a account and sim card with a gsm carrier.

i agree, i myself was scratching my head at first.
    11-08-09 12:37 PM
    The VZW Storm DOES come with a SIM, that works perfectly fine in Europe and other places. This SIM does not allow using any North American GSM provider, however. To do that, you have to get the phone unlocked, and put in the appropriate SIM from at&t or T-Mobile or whomever. The "disable 3G" option being discussed in this thread is only relevant when the Storm is being used on a GSM network; there is no way to tell the Storm on the CDMA side not to use the CDMA version of 3G (which is labeled "1XEV").
    11-09-09 01:36 AM
    When I leave 3g on with my BB 9700 (operating with T-Mobile) I can't get through a day of heavy use. I unplug it at 8am and usually by 7pm it's dead. On EDGE I can get by on almost 2 days with very, very heavy use. I live in Miami which is a very good 3g area... I've learned to turn on 3g when I know I need to use data while on a call. For everything else, I stay on EDGE. Hope this helps.
    07-08-10 11:39 PM
    Curious as to why phones even use 3G then when not browsing. Why wouldn't the OS be written to only switch to it when useful?

07-09-10 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD