Please someone tell me there is a way to lock the buttons as well when you lock your phone.

The whole point of a lock is to lock your phone when you put it in your pocket so you don't ****-Dial, but now with the storm, when its locked, I don't ****-Dial, I ****-Turn-Off. I put my storm on lock, place it in my pocket, and WALL-AYH I don't get any calls, texts, emails, IM's until I take it back out and say, "HEY!?! My phone's off!"

So please tell me I'm missing an option somewhere allowing the buttons to work when the phone is locked before I chisel the End Call/Power button off my phone.
    04-18-09 12:14 PM
    Wow, Bu++ is a bad word on here lol
    04-18-09 12:15 PM
    Edit, nevermind... seems like the power button is still active while the phone is locked as you stated.

The only other alternative I can think of is use a holster/case with a standby magnet.
    04-18-09 12:19 PM
    Press the lock button on the upper left hand corner.

While the phone is locked, you will still receive incoming calls, emails, txts, etc.
    sheesh! ...Next!
    04-18-09 12:20 PM
    All u have to do is click on the lock button located on the upper left. That should lock ur phone not turn it off. That's how it's currently functioning on my phone..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 12:20 PM
    All u have to do is click on the lock button located on the upper left. That should lock ur phone not turn it off. That's how it's currently functioning on my phone..

Are you people really not reading what I typed? lol Wow, stop being so trigger happy!
    Thanks for trying to help, but please READ my question, and for those of you who don't want to do that...
    I AM using the lock button, the problem is somehow the End Call/Power key is getting held down and powering the phone off WHEN IT IS LOCKED
    04-18-09 12:23 PM
    Sounds like an internal problem maybe.
    04-18-09 12:25 PM
    I have a brand new Storm. On mine, if I press the lock button the screen AND the four buttons at the bottom lock (so it can't turn off). Perhaps there's a defect in yours?
    04-18-09 12:31 PM
    I never really understood pocket dialing with buttons (with a touch screen I can see how it is more likely), what are you doing that you hit buttons so hard? The only way that your phone is going "off" while locked is if you are pressing (and holding) the red end button.
    04-18-09 12:33 PM
    I have a brand new Storm. On mine, if I press the lock button the screen AND the four buttons at the bottom lock (so it can't turn off). Perhaps there's a defect in yours?
    lock your phone and hold down the power button on yours for about 10 seconds
    maybe theres a defect with yours as well! lol
    p.s. My storm is now 12 days old, so its new as well
    04-18-09 12:33 PM
    I never really understood pocket dialing with buttons (with a touch screen I can see how it is more likely), what are you doing that you hit buttons so hard? The only way that your phone is going "off" while locked is if you are pressing (and holding) the red end button.
    lol thats EXACTLY what is happening!
    04-18-09 12:34 PM
    Oh I see what you mean, yes it does turn off. I guess you need a holster then.
    04-18-09 12:35 PM
    Oh I see what you mean, yes it does turn off. I guess you need a holster then.
    lol, I have one, but I forget to grab it alot and Im forced to put the thing in my pocket
    04-18-09 12:36 PM
    So, I am assuming nobody has an answer
    04-18-09 12:54 PM
    hmmm, you're right...I'm smart enough to use the holster with the sleeper magnet, so this has never happened to me before.

Here's the fix, but there's a compromise. Go options, password, allow calls while locked to no. The power button no longer functions while locked.

You could also test it with a password set up, not sure if that would work, I don't have time to try it at work.
    04-18-09 12:54 PM
    hmmm, you're right...I'm smart enough to use the holster with the sleeper magnet, so this has never happened to me before.

Here's the fix, but there's a compromise. Go options, password, allow calls while locked to no. The power button no longer functions while locked.

You could also test it with a password set up, not sure if that would work, I don't have time to try it at work.
    You are one cool dude! Thank you so much for FINALLY bringing something to the table. I believe we are at like post #30, and the only thing that is obvious is the need for birth control in america. Thanks again for the advice
    Last edited by xesvuli420; 04-18-09 at 12:58 PM. Reason: asdas
    04-18-09 12:57 PM
    Xesvuli,
    NOBODY understood what you were asking the first time, its not unreasonable to require clarification.
    04-18-09 01:01 PM
    You are one cool dude! Thank you so much for FINALLY bringing something to the table. I believe we are at like post #30, and the only thing that is obvious is the need for birth control in america. Thanks again for the advice
    ...and patience
    04-18-09 01:06 PM
    Edit, nevermind... seems like the power button is still active while the phone is locked as you stated.

The only other alternative I can think of is use a holster/case with a standby magnet.
    That is what's going on with mine!!! LoL! It was kind of cool when I was mocking with it yesterday, didn't realize that functionality existed!!!
    04-18-09 01:12 PM
    This got way out of hand haha you can totally understand what he is asking in the initial post. anyways I had the opposite of your problem I shut my phone off and it turns itself on all the time. What you could try is putting it in your pocket a different way like upside down or faceing inwards which will also protect your screen if you bump into something.

See even this post as simple as it is, is WAY more helpful! Thanks Emerson! BTW I might know why yours is turning on, hit me back if you haven't fixed it.
    04-18-09 01:16 PM
    I think I was when I turned it off and then stuck it in a case it hit one of the hard keys and cancelled itself but now I am using a gel skin and I think it might have done it at work today and I didn't put it in my pocket or touch and hard keta

04-18-09 01:24 PM
    See what happens once you finally state the problem so that everyone can understand it?

If you had re-stated your problem after people questioned your original post instead of flaming them as being idiots, this would have been a completely different thread. Even now knowing your problem, when I re-read your original post it's not clear to me what you were saying.

"When I lock my phone and put it in my pocket, it is turning off. It seems the power button is getting depressed to cause this. Is there a way to disable the power button in lock mode so this can't happen?"

I admit I still wouldn't have known an answer to your problem, but at least I would have understood what the problem was. Nice tip by my_2_cents!

It's also probably specific to 'how' it's in your pocket to apply pressure to the button long enough to turn it off. Is it in your back pocket so it gets constant pressure when you sit down? If it's in a front pocket, what is causing that constant pressure on the button? What if you turned the screen to face the oppose direction? (screen against your body, or vice versa) If following the tip to disable solved your problem, then none of that really matters...
    04-18-09 01:26 PM
    well maybe RIM will fix it in their next official...oh wait, thats not going to happen
    04-18-09 01:34 PM
    You could wear bigger pants! Just a joke there mate. Glad you got the issue solved.
    04-18-09 03:12 PM
    lock your phone and hold down the power button on yours for about 10 seconds
    maybe theres a defect with yours as well! lol
    p.s. My storm is now 12 days old, so its new as well
    When I try this on mine, it unlocks the phone not shut it off?!?
    04-18-09 03:51 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD