ive had my storm for about a year and a half now and in the past two months or so, its been acting up. the battery life is terrible and it randomly likes to crap out. when this happens, i can normally plug it into the charge and restart it by pulling out the battery and its "fine".

today, i finally received all of my emails (following that BIS shortage, i guess) around 11:30 or so and i sent an email to a friend. i was responding to that response when my phone froze. i pressed the off button to turn it off and when it wouldn't turn on, i figured it had crapped out yet again.

however, this is far worse than any other time.

ive had my phone plugged into the wall charge for 5 hours now and its still repeating the same process. the red LED light turns on for a few seconds, followed by the spinning wheel of death (as i like to call it), then a white screen lights up for a few seconds and then the whole process restarts. every now and then, normally when i press the on/off button, i get a white screen with a battery with a lightening bolt.

does anyone know what could be wrong? does anyone know what i can do to fix it?

please note, i'm a mac user and have never plugged my phone into my computer so a solution using that route wont be too helpful.

thanks!
    01-29-11 08:45 PM
    Your battery has reached the end of its useful life. It will no longer take a full charge, and is discharging quickly. If you have an external charger, you can recharge it, but it still won't take a full charge. When you try to recharge it in the phone, the phone turns on when the battery reaches a minimum charge level. The power draw during bootup and establishing the connection is too much for the weak battery. The voltage drops below the shutdown level, and the phone shuts off. That's the reason for the on/off cycling you are seeing.

Buy a new battery and your problems will be solved. There is nothing you need to do (or can do) in software to solve the problem, so using a mac isn't an issue.
    mkonar and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-29-11 10:42 PM
    thanks JeffH! i was hoping/thinking that was the case given what ive seen when googling/searching on crackberry. i did find some comments and such mentioning using a computer to charge the battery/reboot the phone and hence that mac comment. but i'm really hoping thats the it! going to the store tomorrow to hopefully get a new battery!

thanks again!
    01-29-11 10:49 PM
    I had the exact same symptoms with one of my Tour batteries when it was about 18 months old. A Lithium Ion battery only has so many cycles, and when it's used up, it dies quickly. I'm confident a new battery will solve your problem.
    01-29-11 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD