I will be migrating from a Treo 700wx with which I had a lot of problems before I upgraded to WM 6. WM 5 was terrible but surprisingly WM 6 is much better and I actually enjoyed using it. I know there will be a learning curve with the storm but I will deff be mastering it. Thanks for the heads up.......
    12-31-08 04:39 PM
    This is the first thread that I have found that doesn't make me feel stupid for liking my old 700p better than my new Storm. I just can't get used to it.

Here's my question. On my Palm i could sort my e-mail from my g-mail into sub-folders. On my BB it seems that i can either save them or delete them, there is no sorting. Can this be done?

I also loved SplashID and it looks like they are working on a Storm version. Also loved the threaded SMS...hmmmmmm.

Anyway thanks for the therapy...are there any other threads or forums for those of us struggling with the move from Palm to BB without getting ridiculed. You know, with some things the Palm really was better.

kk
    01-01-09 10:48 PM
    This is the first thread that I have found that doesn't make me feel stupid for liking my old 700p better than my new Storm. I just can't get used to it.
    The Treo 700p was (and is!) a good solid device. I've seen posters here saying it's a pos but that simply is not true. But, with Palm showing no ability to move the Palm OS forward with Wi-Fi or GPS support and Verizon no longer carrying the 755p, it seemed time to stop investing in Palm software.

On my Palm i could sort my e-mail from my g-mail into sub-folders. On my BB it seems that i can either save them or delete them, there is no sorting. Can this be done?
    The answer to this amazes me - NO. If you have BES support, then yes. But if you only use BIS (using your BB to just check your personal accounts) you have no folder support. Even if you have BES, the folders are still only available for messages received in your BES account.

I also loved SplashID and it looks like they are working on a Storm version.
    I like it a lot too. I'm in the process of evaluating Ascendo. It supposedly has a desktop and BB components that sync plus will import your SplashID data. Send Ascendo a private message to get special pricing.

Also loved the threaded SMS...hmmmmmm.
    Ditto! For contacts that also have a BB, BlackBerry messenger is the way to go. Otherwise, you are stuck with the BB's semi-threaded presentation. One setting that helps is to go into Options -> SMS Text and increase the "Number of Previous Items". BTW - forget about explaining threaded text messaging to anyone that hasn't used a Treo. They simply can't seem to grasp what we are talking about!

You know, with some things the Palm really was better.
    For sure! But I did watch "Saving Private Ryan" on my Storm the other day at the gym. That was awesome!
    01-02-09 08:28 AM
    - SMS/MMS - how bad will I miss true threaded text messaging?
    I surprisingly don't miss it that much but only because my wife also moved to a Storm so we use BB Messenger. However, for the hand full of other people I text with, I miss it A LOT!

So far, this is the best 3rd party app I've found.

New 3jam Threaded SMS and Group Text Messaging App - PinStack.com - Smartphone Professionals Alliance

The link to the software is http://www.3jam.com/download/bb/beta...eplyAllSMS.jad.

Here are a few screenshots:

The summary screen of conversations -
    Attachment 9194

The detailed conversation -
    Attachment 9195

The pop-up message when you get a text message -
    Attachment 9196
    Last edited by CyberRanger; 01-02-09 at 01:19 PM.
    01-02-09 01:06 PM
    The VIDEO on the STORM is terrible.

1. LOCKS UP many times (5-10 seconds!)
    2. Try to replay and get ' don't support this format ' - > The format is the BLACKBERRY"S own format!

Missing Palm...........again.....
    01-25-09 06:34 AM
    The VIDEO on the STORM is terrible.

1. LOCKS UP many times (5-10 seconds!)
    2. Try to replay and get ' don't support this format ' - > The format is the BLACKBERRY"S own format!

Missing Palm...........again.....
    Check your video settings again. My movies and videos play great.
    01-25-09 08:54 AM
    I just spent ALL of last night transferring my Contacts (123 entries) and Calendar (3337 events) info from my 700p to my Storm. Quite the PITA.

I have Outlook 2007 but never used it. Palm Desktop was all I ever needed. However, BB desktop doesn't know what to do with the proprietary Palm format so, I decided to use Outlook at the common conduit.

I went to change the sync method of the Palm (from syncing to Palm Desktop to syncing to Outlook 2007). Changing this setting requires the original installation CD (per the Palm website). Once changed, I sync'd the Palm...and was told that the Palm software wasn't compatible with Outlook 2007.

So, Outlook 2007 gets uninstalled...and an old copy of Outlook 2000 gets installed.

Sync Palm and this time it works...All contacts and calendar information are now in Outlook 2000. So, now all I needed to do was sync the BB to that Outlook and...hmm..well...the BB Desktop software wouldn't recognize my Outlook 2000 installation (the Outlook 2007 uninstallation didn't go so well; it seems there were enough remnants of that left that the BB Desktop software thought Outlook 2007 was the primary Outlook conduit).

So, I ended up having to save my Outlook 2000 .pst file...TOTALLY wiping out MS Office (Outlook 2000 and Word/Excel/etc 2007)...then reinstalling Office 2007 to get Outlook 2007 back.

Only then could I import the backed-up .pst file, get my calendar/contact info working in Outlook 2007 and THEN sync the BB to Outlook 2007 via the BB Desktop program.

Simple.
    I spent between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. yesterday literally on my sofa the entire time, dealing with Verizon, Blackberry and Palm customer reps because of issues transferring Treo 700P data to my new Blackberry Storm. And my calendar items never transferred correctly in the end (bye bye birthdays). It was incredibly complicated and frustrating. (Part of the problem was an uninformed Verizon rep told me before I could make the transfer I had to download a version of Palm software that, it turns out, wasn't supported by the Storm. So I had to uninstall that and reinstall everything and, UGH, not a great way to waste the entire first day of a three-day weekend.

That said ... LOVE the Storm. Wish I'd switched earlier.
    07-04-09 11:00 AM
    can anyone tell me how i can Migrate all my data on my Palm desktop to my Blackberry desktop !!! i lost my treo phone but all my data is on my desktop
    02-07-10 02:36 AM
    Chapura's PocketCopy will move your data to outlook.
    02-07-10 10:53 AM
    i dont have outlook, is there anything else i can do?? thanks
    02-07-10 11:32 AM
    i dont have outlook, is there anything else i can do?? thanks
    If you can find an older version of the Palm Desktop, you may be able to do it directly from BB Desktop Manager. Read this http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/tre...7/#post1059169 and this entire thread.
    02-09-10 10:52 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD