Ill be leaving for China soon and I know with the Storm, I can buy a Chinese SIM card, replace the one in there now, and..........

Are there any changes to the below settings I need to make?

My current Mobile Network Settings are:

1) Network Technology--1XEV

2) Network Selection Mode--Automatic

3)Mobile Network--Verizon Wireless

4) Data Services--On

If there is already a thread for this.....My bad

Thank you in advance for all your help.
    01-20-09 12:26 PM
    I have been to China and the phone will work with the VodaPhone sim card, no need to buy any new sim. The phone will even work on the CDMA network there. I had a Palm TREO, I wasn't expecting it to work while there, but it did. You shouldn't have any problem using the phone there.
    01-20-09 12:38 PM
    I know the phone will work, but the last time I had a monster phone bill and ended up buying a Chinese phone and suing tha. Id like to use a Chinese SIM card, but dont know what changes to settings, if any, I need to make.

Also, if I put in a new SIM card does my phone number change? Can I still get DATA (emails, internet, GPS)

Again, thank you very much for the help.
    01-20-09 12:49 PM
    if you put in a sim card, you only get data if the plan attached to the sim has data.
    edit: yes, your phone number will change too. unless you are using verizon.
    01-20-09 01:15 PM
    You need to call Verizon Global Support 908-559-4899, and tell them what you are doing. Tell them that you need to unlock your phone so you can use a pre-paid sim card once you get there. I did this for a trip to Europe right before Christmas. Call them from a phone other then your Storm, so they can walk you through the process while you are talking with them.
    Last edited by Spotmark; 01-20-09 at 01:40 PM.
    01-20-09 01:38 PM
    remember to ask Verizon if you will still get charged for data and voice mails even though you wont be getting them as you will i live in the US but was born in the UK and i just went back to the UK and they told me if i didn't upgrade to my plan anything that was pushed down my phone while away even though i didn't get it was a chargeable rate!!!
    why does Verizon have to stiff you when you already pay 200 bucks a months for unlimited everything!!!

why cant the states get online with Europe its so damn cheap to use a cell phone there!!!
    Mick
    01-20-09 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD