Apologies if there's already been discussion about this, but I wasn't sure what to search for.

A complaint I have about the Storm is that there are way too many things I have to do to "reset" my notifications, when I have a missed call and a new voice mail. Here's my itinerary for one such occasion:

1. Presented with dialog saying I missed a call. Click button to go to Message list, see "Missed Call" entry. Phone number and time visible right there.
    2. In order to make the missed call notification icon disappear, though, I have to actually click the Missed Call entry, which is pointless to me, as it doesn't give me any more information than I had on the message list.
    3. Go to my text message list, and see the SMS text message I get (from Verizon?) that tells me I have a new voicemail. It has some poorly formatted information regarding the voice mail that I don't care about.
    4. Deja vu here: In order to make the new text message notification icon disappear, though, I have to actually click the text message and view it, which is pointless to me, as it doesn't give me any more information than I had on the message list.
    5. Call my voicemail and actually listen to it.

This seems like a lot of unnecessary steps to me. Here's what I think the process should be:

1. Presented with dialog saying I missed a call (or calls). Click button to see information regarding it (or them). This clears the Missed Call Notification icon.
    2. Call voicemail. Done.

Can anyone give some suggestions on how to get rid of some of these steps?

Thanks in advance.
    05-14-09 12:39 PM
    Well, to switch screens less, when you open your messages folder to see missed calls and voicemail, you can just highlight the missed call text and then hit marked as open. Its not really reducing the amount of clicking you're doing, but you don't have to actually go into the message and then back out of it.
    05-14-09 01:02 PM
    i only get the missed call icon from my call logs, nothing in my inbox. i disabled call logging in my message folder...they're just hidden, you can still go messages>view folder> call logs or missed calls and read 'em all there...

i use vvm so i get a pop up stating there is a new message, which i wish i could disable.

i don't get pop up notifications for messages, just missed calls and emails. i want to disable those and just have the "message waiting indicator" at the top.
    05-14-09 01:02 PM
    phone/bb button/options/call logging/set it to none
    05-14-09 01:12 PM
    Maybe I don't quite know what disabling call logging would do, but I think I still want calls logged, I just find it a nuisance to go through all the steps to mark them as viewed/not new. Then the process is repeated for a worthless text message from Verizon about my voicemail.

I'll look into it, though. Can anyone tell me how to prevent that text message from Verizon telling me about the voicemail?
    05-14-09 01:33 PM
    call logging is pointless, it just means you have call records in your messages folder. disable it and you'll still have your call history screen under the phone app...that won't change.

the message from VZW is how they activate the voicemail logo on your phone. you eithe get that or vvm....no way to disable it without disabling voicemail completely.
    05-14-09 01:36 PM
    well its one less message in your call list so its actually one less thing to have to deal with it. you'll still have the indicator for the phone that you missed a call.
    05-14-09 01:51 PM
    So, with that disabled, does that affect the "Call Log" tab (the middle one) from the Phone screen? I like that list, and don't really want any functionality there to change.

It sounds like there's two different "Call Logging" features going on here....
    05-14-09 02:05 PM
    Is this for real? I have never encountered more lazy ***** in my life!
    05-14-09 02:08 PM
    So, with that disabled, does that affect the "Call Log" tab (the middle one) from the Phone screen? I like that list, and don't really want any functionality there to change.

No it doesn't.

this is what happens: you miss a call, your storm has the "you missed a call", "view now", "view later" boxes.

click view now, goes to call log, you see who called. end of story.

click view later, you go about your business, and there is a tiny yellow phone with a red X on the top reminding you to see who called.

the log is still available when you are in the "phone" app. who called who, when, how.... ect.

it just won't be in the messages log. which, if it was, like the OP said, you have to click on it so it goes away, as a "missed call"
    05-14-09 02:15 PM

No you will have no change in your call logging screen. There is no way to stop the text coming in saying you have a voice mail it will just stop the message saying you have a missed call.
    You can use the VVM and that would stop the texts but I didn't really like the VVM.
    05-14-09 02:20 PM
    Yes, but you delete the VM and you still gotta go into messeges/ hit the BB key/view folder/ then highlight the SMS inbox folder then delete the useless message... try to do that while driving, or even riding shotgun in a truck.

Why they use the SMS to tell me I have a VM is beyond idiotic. I have texting disabled and I DO NOT USE IT. But I still have to click 78 times to get rid of the notification because the phone is to stupid to know the call has been deleted and the VM has been checked.
    05-14-09 02:23 PM
    there are other 3rd party voicemail services that just email or txt you....maybe look into those to resolve your vm issues? less steps to clear all of the notifications is the end result you're looking for, right?
    05-14-09 02:24 PM
    Yes, but you delete the VM and you still gotta go into messeges/ hit the BB key/view folder/ then highlight the SMS inbox folder then delete the useless message... try to do that while driving, or even riding shotgun in a truck.

Why they use the SMS to tell me I have a VM is beyond idiotic. I have texting disabled and I DO NOT USE IT. But I still have to click 78 times to get rid of the notification because the phone is to stupid to know the call has been deleted and the VM has been checked.
    the system they use to relay the voicemail server to your phone is SMS based, but its higher in the network so the block doesn't apply, its sms-like....like i said, try using an app for VM management, etc
    05-14-09 02:25 PM

Amen, brutha.
    05-14-09 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD