New member here and first time post for me (do I win something?)....lol.

I currently have a Palm Treo 700p which I've had for about 2 years now. Lately for some reason (Verizon guys blame the phone's age) I keep dropping calls and my coverage is becomming horrible. I need to make a phone change cause it's driving me nuts.

What I like about my Treo is how it has the touch screen as well as the hard keys for texting. I've been thinking about getting the Storm but now I hear all the hype about the Storm 2 (who knows when it will be released, though) as well as the issues people have with the Storm 1.

Right now I can get the Storm for $149.00 (with rebate) which is an attractive price for me. I'm sure the Storm 2 will probably be at least $300. Any thoughts on that?

I've also been thinking about the HTC Touch Pro 2 which may or may not come to Verizon later this summer but will probably be well over $300 once it comes out.

So that's the background. Here's my questions.

1. Are the current Storms now stable or do they still have problems.
    2. Will the current Storm eventually act like the Storm 2 with software upgrades once it comes out?
    3. Any idea when the Storm 2 will be released for Verizon?
    4. Should I just keep hating my Treo 700p and wait until the HTC Touch Pro 2 or the Storm 2 comes out?

Sorry for the long post. Especially since it's my first one.

Thanks.

Scrapping Guy
    07-09-09 10:23 PM

I currently have a Palm Treo 700p which I've had for about 2 years now. Lately for some reason (Verizon guys blame the phone's age) I keep dropping calls and my coverage is becomming horrible. I need to make a phone change cause it's driving me nuts.

What I like about my Treo is how it has the touch screen as well as the hard keys for texting. I've been thinking about getting the Storm but now I hear all the hype about the Storm 2 (who knows when it will be released, though) as well as the issues people have with the Storm 1.

Right now I can get the Storm for $149.00 (with rebate) which is an attractive price for me. I'm sure the Storm 2 will probably be at least $300. Any thoughts on that?

I've also been thinking about the HTC Touch Pro 2 which may or may not come to Verizon later this summer but will probably be well over $300 once it comes out.

2. Will the current Storm eventually act like the Storm 2 with software upgrades once it comes out?
    4. Should I just keep hating my Treo 700p and wait until the HTC Touch Pro 2 or the Storm 2 comes out?

Thanks.

Scrapping Guy
    im gonna put it to you like this, because i also had the treo 700p and 700wx and for a long time thought that was the best phone for years.. didnt like the iphone or any other one of those phones untill i messed with the storm.. i would say defenetly get it.. if your computer savy.. i say that because its a great device and you need to be able to keep up with all the OS updates that are being created... As far as when the storm 2 comes out? I dont know.. Will the storm eventually act like the storm 2, Dont know how the storm 2 acts now because its not out yet.. dat being said the storm now is realy nice, i had no problems wit it since i got it, use it for every thing on a day to day basis. its a sick phone in my opinion. yes your gonna find a lot of people crying and complaining about it.. but those are the people that think everything has to be perfect for them..basically yes get it and download the current OS and hybrid.... you wont regret it

9530 WITH .151 transitions-.148/.151/5.0.93 (lyricidal's beta hybrid)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/953...hybrid-239783/
    07-09-09 10:53 PM
    Do not get the storm. It is the worst BB ever! Its not bad for music and watching movies but if u want to use it as a phone it is not worth it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 10:55 PM
    ive never had a treo but i can tell you that the storm is a pretty good buy, especially for that price. i had a couple of problems with it but with the new update for it, its been working well. and you cant go wrong with a blackberry
    07-09-09 10:56 PM
    ive never had a treo but i can tell you that the storm is a pretty good buy, especially for that price. i had a couple of problems with it but with the new update for it, its been working well. and you cant go wrong with a blackberry
    yes zirr.. i meen i guess if your one of those persons that thinks every touch screen phone out there has to some how match up with the i phone, witch i think the storm has it beat in my opinion.. you can actually realize how great the storm is.. i put it to you like this.. dont let no one discurage you on this crackberry hype, go get the pnone you obviously have a month to see if you like it or not, upgrade it and im prety shoure youll keep it. eather way you should see your self.. dont go asking around to much in these threads cause your gonna get a lot of BS. specially from these folks that are basically stuck with a storm cause there to broke to cancell their verizon accounts and go to cingular to get the i phone they realy want..
    07-09-09 11:15 PM
    I would also say not get the storm. Wait until the Tour or the Storm 2. That is unless you want random reboots, frozen screens, and a whole lot of heartache. Your choice
    07-09-09 11:20 PM
    Thanks for the fast replies.

I am pretty tech savy so I should be able to do the updating myself. I would think, however, that if I purchased the phone tomorrow, it would already have the updated OS or at least the verizon guy could update it right there. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I did mess with it in the verizon store for about 15 minutes and did some texting tests with phrases that I commonly use. I wasn't nearly as quick with it as I am with the Treo, but then again, I've had the treo for 2 years and I'm used to it.

I may take the plunge in the next couple of days and if I don't like it I could return it before the 30 days is up...but verizon will charge me a $35.00 restocking fee. That part of it sucks.

I really need it to be reliable with a stong signal and no (or very few) dropped calls. I'm a real estate agent and my phone is my lifeline.

Scrapping Guy
    07-09-09 11:23 PM
    I would also say not get the storm. Wait until the Tour or the Storm 2. That is unless you want random reboots, frozen screens, and a whole lot of heartache. Your choice
    i honestly dont remember the last time i had a smart phone and never had it freeze up on me, had a pocket pc and the same thing, had a treo and guess what same thing, i mean its basically a computer and what do computers do? there gonna freeze up once in a whyle.. thats once in a whyle tho. As far as heartache thats way streaching it LMAO
    07-09-09 11:41 PM

Thanks.

Scrapping Guy
    I'm gonna be honest with you too I had the treo 755p and I really did like how fast it was because of the palm OS even though palm I think is very limited until the PRE. Anyway as a storm user I really like it which unfortunatley a lot of people may not agree. It all has to do with what you need in a phone. I personally love the blackberry OS and the storms multimedia capabilities, but it does still have some fine tuning since the .148 update. It did fix a lot but there is still quite a few bugs to work out. Well having tried the HTC touch pro I wouldn't put too much faith in the second one just because the first one is so slow and it could've been a very powerful phone. Now the storm 2 is too early to say but I would imagine a pricew tag of at least 249.99 if and when it comes out. I would tell you to try out the storm at first get use to the SUREPRESS technology but you will because I did and this was my first touchscreen phone. Overall give it a try because I really like it so maybe you will just have a little patience for it.
    07-10-09 12:46 AM
    Thanks for your input. It's nice to hear that the Storm may not be as bad as some people want you to think.

I'm getting closer to my purchase the more I hear.

One thing I didn't think of was using it as an mp3 player because of the standard headset plug (which I assume it is). My Treo has one that's tiny and a regular headset doesn't fit. I would need to buy an adaptor or headsets with the smaller plug.

With the Storm, I could use it to play music in my car with the aux port.

One other question. I keep reading that the BlackBerry will be coming out with a new OS sometime. Do all BBs use the same OS including the Storm, or is the Storm something different because of the interface and touch screen?

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm a Palm guy and never owned or used a Blackberry.
    07-10-09 01:56 AM
    IMHO the storm is a fantastic device. I have had mine since 11/25 and have not had a single random reboot. Has been excellent since .148 OS came around. Very stable and fast. Mine does not get babied, it get used and abused and just keeps going.
    07-10-09 02:27 AM
    I am still on my initial storm and it has been reliable and running great.

Just one thing to remember; if you want a touchscreen phone and get the storm but if you want physical keyboard get the Tour.

My $0.02
    07-10-09 08:23 AM
    i love my storm.i have no prob at all with my phone re setting on its own..i would say atleast 50% of the people that have probs with their storms are clueless how to use it ..i have had my phone since december and i have not had my phone freeze up on me once.and thats no lie..if you are dumb enough to run 4 apps at a time you will prob freeze up..this would prob also happan on your pc if you are running too much at once..dont listen to the other clueless people that bash the storm all the time.and 1 more thing...if a person goes thru 3 or 4 storms like they claim...take my word..they have no idea how to use this device.
    07-10-09 08:34 AM
    Be careful. My Storm worked perfectly in every way except it dropped calls in my house. Wildly fluctuating signal. Coverage map showed full service. Great everywhere else. I guess you have the 30-day trial period to try it.
    07-10-09 08:54 AM
    I had a curve. The keyboard was way too small for my big thumbs and after seeing the Iphone, the thought of a larger screen appealed to me.
    I had a LG Voyager in the past so I know I wanted a landscape keyboard.

The Storm has some quirks. If you are a speed thumber, then a touch screen may not be for you.

In any case, when you get your storm, mark your calendar for the last day you can return it.
    Play with it and see if you can get use to it. Some do, some don't. Most who don't didn't try long enough.
    07-10-09 12:19 PM
    Yes make sure you use the 30 days to try it out first. That way you know for a fact you like it or not.
    07-10-09 12:45 PM
    i've had my storm for 6 months and it's still buggy. it's the worst phone i've ever had. i need to reset 2-3 times daily if i want to accomplish anything. i've been making a list of issues and am going to rage at Verizon (they're closer than Waterloo).
    07-10-09 03:20 PM
    Probably you should just get a Curve or another traditional Blackberry.

Honestly I would not hold my breath or make decisions based on rumored devices, especially rumored devices coming to specific networks (Storm 2, HTC Touch on Verizon, Palm Pre on Verizon, iPhone on Verizon, etc). Much of what you read is speculation and turns out to be false.
    07-10-09 04:10 PM
    Thanks for the interesting posts.

I'm not a big fan of the trackball. I guess I'm just spoiled with the touch screen on my treo. I tried using a friend's traditional BB for a few hours and I kept hitting the screen thinking it would do something.

I'll be picking up the Storm tomorrow from a Verizon store. I spoke to a verizon salesperson the other day and he said he knows how to tweak it to make it work faster than factory settings (whatever that means). He also told me that the Storm has springs that work the clickable screen. He said some Storms have stronger springs than others. He's gonna check his inventory and find me one that has the right tension in the springs so typing on the screen will work better and faster.

I have a good gut feeling about this guy because he looks like a techie that's excited about this stuff. Unlike the typical Verizon salesman that looks like they're 5 minutes away from going on a shooting spree.

Scrapping Guy
    07-10-09 07:01 PM
    Not to Storm. That is the answer.
    07-10-09 07:01 PM
    Dont listen to the haters.

The Storm is a phone you have to try for yourself. Some love it, some hate it.

People who come to the forum of a phone they hate just to tell people they hate it....well that kind of behaviour speaks for itself
    07-10-09 07:11 PM
    Guess I'll chime my 2 cents in as well.
    I had a Treo 700P, and before that, several other Palm OS devices. Used Palm OS for about 12-13 years, and felt like a traitor when I finally moved to a non-Palm device. What forced my move was Blackberry devices were going to be the only way for me to get my company email. I don't really have any issues with my Storm since the latest OS release. There are a few tweaks that it needs. I use TalkLock to keep from accidentally muting or hanging up calls, buzzme to vibrate and ring at the same time. I also use Quickpull for an automated battery pull about an hour before I wake up each day. These are things that I wouldn't have needed to do with my Treo 700P, but once I do these things, the additional features I get with the Storm outweigh the tweaks I need to use for improved usability. Also love the built in GPS and have been using it to start geocaching. Movie playback is nice, and I use that when I'm on an airplane. Battery life isn't as long as my Treo was, but I'm doing many more things on my Storm than I was on my Treo. Another thing you'd need to get used to initially is closing apps you aren't using as a means to conserve battery life. I agree with others that you should go ahead and take advantage of the 30 day trial period.
    07-10-09 10:33 PM
    Thanks for the interesting posts.

I'm not a big fan of the trackball. I guess I'm just spoiled with the touch screen on my treo. I tried using a friend's traditional BB for a few hours and I kept hitting the screen thinking it would do something.

I'll be picking up the Storm tomorrow from a Verizon store. I spoke to a verizon salesperson the other day and he said he knows how to tweak it to make it work faster than factory settings (whatever that means). He also told me that the Storm has springs that work the clickable screen. He said some Storms have stronger springs than others. He's gonna check his inventory and find me one that has the right tension in the springs so typing on the screen will work better and faster.

I have a good gut feeling about this guy because he looks like a techie that's excited about this stuff. Unlike the typical Verizon salesman that looks like they're 5 minutes away from going on a shooting spree.

Scrapping Guy
    Keep us posted on your feelings about the Storm in the future . Good luck. If You can get past the quirks, it's not a bad phone. I guess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 02:00 AM
    I was a Palm-head for a long time and like you used the 700P. Your going to flip, totally different and much hotter. All I can say is give it a try and see. Don't know about others but I'm never going back. Though, I would wait a few months until the Storm 2 is released. Might as well get the latest.
    07-11-09 03:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD