Hi all,

EDIT: My post is pretty long. For my ADD riddled brethren my basic question is this: What's the best way to get reliable info and set myself up for success come Friday morning? I can live without the phone but waiting for a Saturday delivery is not as much fun. I'd have to wait until Monday for BES access which would be annoying.

From here on I'm rambling. Don't say I didn't warn you...

I've been involved in many scrambles over the years to pick up the latest and greatest at midnight etc. but this is my first experience attempting to score a cell phone on release day.

I keep reading posts from people who have talked to this rep or that rep and gotten their names on lists, etc. However, everytime I have gone into my local VZW corporate store I get zilch. I stopped in today and stood around for 20 minutes while the "greeter" guy at the door fumbled around for info. He kept leaving to go talk to the manager before comming back to type on his computer for a while. At the end of all that he placed me on a call-back list. That sounded good as that's really all I expected anyways.

The problem is that when I pressed him on what exactly The List was he said that it was an all-of-Verizon list where someone would call me to tell me that the phone was released. He told me there were quite a few people on the list already (not a suprise). He said that phones were first-come, first-serve with preference going to those on the list. I ended up leaving the store more confused than when I got there. If I know the Storm is being released on Friday, why would I want a robot to call me to tell me that?

I'm interested in some of the tactics used to get better info/preferrential treatment by the in-store folks. It seems the guy/girl at the door is maybe not the best person to talk to? If not, who is?
    11-16-08 01:56 PM
    I'm just gonna go out there about 6:30 am.
    11-16-08 02:13 PM
    Get there early on Friday. Thats probably your best bet at this point. Unless you can find a BestBuy that is still taking pre-orders.
    11-16-08 02:19 PM
    every rep that i have spoken to has given me the option of "holding" one for me... just ask a rep at your local store if you've dealt with one before.
    11-16-08 02:20 PM
    Get there early on Friday. Thats probably your best bet at this point. Unless you can find a BestBuy that is still taking pre-orders.
    I'm still not completely confident that BB will have it on the 21st. And even if they do I am not completely confident that BB can sell it to me for $99 (249 less 49rebate less my 100 NE2. I may "sell" unload or get a refund on my deposit and just telesales it and have it saturday.

I have also bee told that BB doesn't warranty the battery of charger?
    11-16-08 02:44 PM
    Camp out
    11-16-08 02:46 PM
    every rep that i have spoken to has given me the option of "holding" one for me... just ask a rep at your local store if you've dealt with one before.
    Interesting, because I have been told (and many threads confer) that none will be held - that is, first come first served - at least at CORP stores.
    11-16-08 02:46 PM
    I just called my store too. I was the FIRST one to have my name on the list for a call as soon as the release date was announced, etc. I went in to see them the morning after we got the word here and they didn't know it yet! I still haven't received any sort of call from them and they are usually VERY good about keeping their word on things. I asked them today if they were putting names on a list to hold phones for folks and they said no. They are having a preview event from 8-9am on Thursday and we could pre-order the phone then for GUARANTEED two-day shipping (free). We would NOT be able to pre-order that day for pick up in the store on Friday, it will be first come, first served on Friday and the store opens at the regular time of 9am. He said he expects that many folks will there at opening (not 100s or anything though) and although they will receive a large shipment, they also expect to sell out that day.

He did say that if they have the accessories in on Thursday, we can purchase those on Thursday so we have them when the phone arrives. BTW, there are more accessories shown on the VZW site for the Storm now.
    11-16-08 03:10 PM
    Interesting, because I have been told (and many threads confer) that none will be held - that is, first come first served - at least at CORP stores.
    That's odd because all I go to are the corp stores for verizon. I have one rep that specifically said she will put one aside for me that I have taken up on the offer. I have also just purchased a phone for my wife last week...

Let's put it this way, if I don't get it because they are sold out, I will be cancelling my account and moving elsewhere....So I hope she wasn't full of ****!
    11-16-08 03:56 PM
    Sounds like a spin of the wheel for me on Friday morning. With any luck I'll have one.

I still can't figure out why Verizon doesn't take a page from Amazon's playbook and allow you to pre-order now for a Thursday over-night shipment for a Friday delivery. Seems like a no-brainer. Why keep everyone guessing? Seems silly. I guess, at the end of the day, they are still a phone company...
    11-16-08 03:59 PM
    I was promised one by a salesman at a corporate store after he found out that I would be adding a line - and not upgrading. However - my thinking would be that the following will happen - they will have a list - if there are any left after customers are in the store - then they will start calling names on the list(s). So, I'm not holding out much hope that having my name on the list will get me a phone on Friday.

If I get my **** out of bed early Friday (assuming that I don't here from telesales on Thursday), I'll run over to the stores - we have 2 corporate stores within a mile of each other.

We'll see!
    11-16-08 04:07 PM
    Anybody have any guesses about how many units each store will get and how many people will be there at opening?
    11-16-08 04:15 PM
    I spoke to my store today and they said they were receiving ten more times the amount of Voyagers that they got last year, but with the added fact that BB is more popular now that the Voyager was, they expect to sell out very quickly. They also said that they had a waiting list of 80-90 people already...blah.
    11-16-08 04:28 PM
    My local store said that if they do run out they'll order to have them shipped for Saturday delivery to me. BFD, I can order through telesales for Saturday delivery!

Friday night will def be interesting. I'm sure there will be a thread (s) of who ran out of Storms and such.
    11-16-08 05:03 PM
    I am switching from AT&T and have been promised by a rep at 4 different corporate stores that they will hold one for me. I'm assuming that they make more commision on activating new lines of service. I'm not sayin - I'm just sayin...
    11-16-08 06:48 PM
    I am switching from AT&T and have been promised by a rep at 4 different corporate stores that they will hold one for me. I'm assuming that they make more commision on activating new lines of service. I'm not sayin - I'm just sayin...
    4 stores! Wow, you're really on your hustle.
    11-16-08 07:30 PM
    Please tell me you're in michigan and i can just go into one of those four and pretend to be you haha
    11-16-08 08:27 PM
    4 stores! Wow, you're really on your hustle.
    Actually I've been to 7 total. i live in DFW and travel for work so drive by them all the time.
    11-16-08 09:59 PM
    Actually I've been to 7 total. i live in DFW and travel for work so drive by them all the time.
    you really are on a mission
    11-16-08 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD