I was up untill today eagerly waiting to purchase the Blackberry Storm. I had read many of the early reviews including some reviews of the Vodafone version that were not the most flattering towards the device. Even though the early reviews were not that great, I was still infatuated with the device and totally unphased in my pursuit.

Unfortunately, today's reviews by some of the most reputable device evaluators, have changed my infatuation into absolute disdain. CNET, TIME and RIM sycophants BGR all delivered reviews that hammered the quality of this device-core qualities that I thought would be the device's best features, such as Surepress, have been collectively classified as significantly worse than devices such as the Bold and Curve. Most of the reviews criticized the battery for draining way too quickly.

Now, I know to be patient and not have a knee **** reaction to a series of reviews that have evaluated a device for a short time using an OS that will be out of date when we buy it, BUT I have lost the belief that the device that I was about to purchase was going to be better than what I already own. I am a BB fanatic and will always be one, but this one appears not to be the one for me.
    11-20-08 01:03 PM
    how can one wait for this phone as much as we have then decide less than 24 hours away from it's release that a few negative reviews using as we know an already outdated OS sway your decision. Think for yourself and not let others for you.
    11-20-08 01:06 PM
    Uhhhh I read the CNET review and I did not get the same impression that you got. The TIME article was a hit job... BGR was fair in alot of respects but unfair in some respects. It's interesting how people pick out different things when reading the same material.
    11-20-08 01:07 PM
    how can one wait for this phone as much as we have then decide less than 24 hours away from it's release that a few negative reviews using as we know an already outdated OS sway your decision. Think for yourself and not let others for you.
    +1
    all this hype the day before is just making me want it more...
    BTW, nice avatar...
    11-20-08 01:08 PM
    Then don't get it... one less person in line in front of me tomorrow!
    11-20-08 01:09 PM
    I was up untill today eagerly waiting to purchase the Blackberry Storm.

today's reviews by some of the most reputable device evaluators, have changed my infatuation into absolute disdain.

Now, I know to be patient and not have a knee **** reaction
    Gee... Are you sure? Are you bipolar? Do you hear yourself?
    11-20-08 01:09 PM
    I love how people read a few bad reviews and give up on the product even before they use it for themselves.

I do agree that reading reviews is good just to get an idea but you won't know if you like it until you buy it and use it.
    11-20-08 01:13 PM
    Personally, I am a BB fanatic because I love the abilty to quickly type SMS and emails. Most of today's reviews, especially among the most reputable organizations, have blasted the Surepress keyboard. One or two or even three negative reviews wouldn't be that bad, but after reading all of the reviews,the Surepress touch screen appears to have the makings of a collassal disater. I am going to a Store and try it out for myself, but I am no longer going to purchase it tomorrow as I had planned. I cannot lie to you all, I have to be honest and say I have lost virtually all excitement and opptomism regarding this device.
    11-20-08 01:13 PM
    I have never owned a BB. I read those negative reviews and went over to the local Verizon store yesterday and the manager let me mess with it for a few minutes. I think it's tremendous. In fairness, I want an entertainment phone and it was between the two but the Storm has video recording, a better camera, and will have an App store. The screen is brighter than the iPhone and when I typed on it or checked the net...it was great. I would not bash the iPhone but I think this is one truly unique device. The Detroit Free Press just gave it a rave review!!
    11-20-08 01:14 PM
    +1
    all this hype the day before is just making me want it more...
    BTW, nice avatar...
    haha exactly...i cannot wait till tommorow morning
    and thanks, lol i like the way you spruced up yours aswell
    11-20-08 01:14 PM
    You're saying or quoting that they said Surepress is worse than an actual qwerty. Qwerty of course for most is probably better. But it takes time getting used to. I'll make my own review for myself, either way i have 30 days, if I don't like it I'll return it. Simple. Do you think D Day would have been as successful if we hadn't decided to go during bad weather. At the end we had success and it paid off at the end once we were deep into it.
    11-20-08 01:15 PM
    I seem to remember a lot of POSITIVE reviews about the Voyager and then we find out it is a piece o' junk.. so to each their own I say!
    11-20-08 01:17 PM
    I say good riddance! It's funny how the bad tech reviews haven't swayed me one bit because i'm actually going to try out the device and make my own judgment on whether or not it works for me. But everyone's different...
    11-20-08 01:18 PM
    honestly, if you live your life and make your purchases vicariously through reviews put out by big names, i feel sorry for you. Most of these "big name" reviewers are still done and written by 1 individual, or maybe a very small team. Id much rather trust end users rather than paid reviewers.
    11-20-08 01:20 PM
    How can the concensus among these experts be wrong? I compared the Storm reviews to other popular blackberrys such as the Curve. The Curve nor the Bold were criticized to the extent of the Storm. Again, they are criticizing the core component of a BB--the ability to type! Why be so excited for a device that is limited in this regard. Although, my attitudes towards the Storm has changed, I will still test it in person, but I am not optomistic that I will pleased.
    11-20-08 01:30 PM
    Then don't get it... one less person in line in front of me tomorrow!

That was my thought exactly!! lol
    I'm taking all good & bad reviews with a grain of salt. I'll be the final judge as to whether or not it's good enough for ME.....and if I don't like it?? Well then I'll have 30 days to return it and get my curve back. Win/Win
    11-20-08 01:36 PM
    How can the concensus among these experts be wrong? I compared the Storm reviews to other popular blackberrys such as the Curve. The Curve nor the Bold were criticized to the extent of the Storm. Again, they are criticizing the core component of a BB--the ability to type! Why be so excited for a device that is limited in this regard. Although, my attitudes towards the Storm has changed, I will still test it in person, but I am not optomistic that I will pleased.
    BGR I say gave it a pretty fair review, considering it was BG. Also engadget, just a few weeks ago said they were in love with the SurePress input method, and that was on a beta OS. All of a sudden now its a disaster? And also like I said, the OS the reviewed it on is already obsolete. From what I have gathered, from calling stores to CX is that tommorow morning they will reflas it with .7x i belive and that there is yet another right around the corner from that one
    11-20-08 01:36 PM
    haha exactly...i cannot wait till tommorow morning
    and thanks, lol i like the way you spruced up yours aswell
    Let's take away phones and talk about another topic that people review heavily... movies. In your lifetime, has there been a movie that critics stomped on and reviewed negatively, yet for some reason you loved the movie? Let me give you an example from my life. I felt the film "Hitman" was a good film. I played all the games and I felt that the movie really followed the games and the actor did a really good job. Its not my favorite movie, but I enjoyed it. This is what Manohla Dargis of The New York Times had to say:

"Based on the video game franchise of the same title, Hitman exploits every action-flick cliche imaginable and still manages to be dull."

The rest of the reviews followed the same general basis. I spoke to my friends and even some of my closest friends didn't like the movie. Based upon what you're saying, I should be changing my mind as well even though I actually watched it and I actually like it.

Go out there and test the phone before you buy it. Don't let other's opinions shape your own. We are all different and like different things. The people that review the phone are not gods and they are not perfect. Read their reviews, test the phone, formulate your own opinion.
    11-20-08 01:37 PM
    Something also to consider, is the lack of an updated OS on those devices they reviewed. As it has been confirmed from CX, the Storms will be updated to .76 tomorrow with another update around the corner. I wouldn't let a review sway your decision, while it can help. I'd suggest still going to to the store and playing with the Storm. Heck, pick it up and use all of the 30 day period Verizon gives you to get a good feel for the device. Don't put all of your faith behind these reviews.
    11-20-08 01:38 PM
    So you'll be heading into to try it with a negative view and not an open mind? Sounds like it won't be the phone for you.
    11-20-08 01:45 PM
    See my thoughts of the "expert" reviews is that I can't help but feel they have their own agendas. Maybe they're being biased because they like such and such phone? Maybe "a certain company" cut them a deal to give a terrible review? Is that far fetched? Definately could be, as I am very paranoid of what I hear from "experts" sometimes. But i find myself following the reviews of the average person over the reviews of some of these experts.

Also, expert reviewers may just have a higher standard in regards to these phones. They knick pick every little detail because....well...that's what they're getting paid to do. What may seem like a piece of junk to them may seem like the 8th wonder of the world to me.

SlipDizzy made the perfect analogy with movies. Some of my favorite movies of all time are movies that also got TERBBILE reviews. Don't let other decide for you.
    11-20-08 01:50 PM
    poor OP. i think you'll find crackberry fans just as rabid as iphone ones. Even if the phone turns out not as good as it could have been, these select few will still rave about it. it's normal really.

oh it's laggy but you'll get used to it.
    there's no reason for the screen to switch into landscape so quickly
    i can type almost as fast so its good or i just have to type slower to make it work
    rim will update the phone to be better so live with the problems for now
    wifi is useless since the network is good in every single location (even if you're out in the bahamas and would rather use wifi voip instead of international long distance...whose going to make a call like that? or similar situation)
    etc..etc...

I think what you should take from the majority of the less than stellar reviews is take your time and try out the demo phones over the course of say a month and maybe revisit the king of the hill iphone.

1. it gives you a good comparison between competing products (and frankly yes, it is apples to apples because RIM + VZN have specifically targeted the storm against the iphone...if any of you say otherwise is just blind fanboyism on your part)

2. it lets you revisit the phone on a fairly fresh basis so that it doesn't become a "must have, omg" purchase but one in which you've had time to evaluate and weigh the pros and cons.

what the reviews did for me was let me say to myself.

1. i'll have to check out this phone first before I jump the gun since i'll be stuck with it for 2 years. where as before I was going to go in the morning as sign up right away
    2. reviews just help temper your emotions. especially when they are pretty much similar in either their negativity or positive.

berry addicts are not the best people to ask for opinions as they're the most willing to live with the cons (some can argue this statement but looking at how most who are flamed for not wanting the storm).
    11-20-08 01:51 PM
    just to ad to the flaming ... OP

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    11-20-08 01:53 PM
    just to ad to the flaming ... OP

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    LOL...never gets old! But I'll be out in hopes of getting one tomorrow and seeing for myself. Reviews, positive and negative, are good insight from others for me. If I'm lucky enough to get one, then I'll let it be known how I feel about it. For those who let the negative reviews sway you...THANK YOU!
    11-20-08 01:57 PM
    I was up untill today eagerly waiting to purchase the Blackberry Storm. I had read many of the early reviews including some reviews of the Vodafone version that were not the most flattering towards the device. Even though the early reviews were not that great, I was still infatuated with the device and totally unphased in my pursuit.

Unfortunately, today's reviews by some of the most reputable device evaluators, have changed my infatuation into absolute disdain. CNET, TIME and RIM sycophants BGR all delivered reviews that hammered the quality of this device-core qualities that I thought would be the device's best features, such as Surepress, have been collectively classified as significantly worse than devices such as the Bold and Curve. Most of the reviews criticized the battery for draining way too quickly.

Now, I know to be patient and not have a knee **** reaction to a series of reviews that have evaluated a device for a short time using an OS that will be out of date when we buy it, BUT I have lost the belief that the device that I was about to purchase was going to be better than what I already own. I am a BB fanatic and will always be one, but this one appears not to be the one for me.
    Wow. One more robot who can't wait and make their own educated decision.
    11-20-08 02:06 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD