What is threaded sms? What are the benefits?
    08-18-09 01:52 PM
    If you go over 160 letters it will send another text and so on.. BBM5 is pretty close to how the threaded texting will be.
    08-18-09 01:56 PM
    Is there any way to send texting over data? or is it carrier related and not a matter of an update?
    08-18-09 01:59 PM
    Threaded SMS is just like almost all messaging apps like AIM, BBM, MSN etc. Blackberries handle it slightly different now as all SMS appear in the SMS folder in a not so organized way. With threaded SMS you will just see the persons name and when you click you have the entire history under their name instead. This cleans up the SMS and makes it easier to navigate.

What suby is referring to is BBM 5 will handle part of the SMS function once completed. However its no finalized and it may only handle some of the SMS not all. We will see what happens when its finished. Also i have no clue if the 160 char barrier will be dealt with. It still might be in place.
    Is there any way to send texting over data? or is it carrier related and not a matter of an update?

that is a carrier thing. SMS should never become 'data'
    08-18-09 02:05 PM
    True, I was just hoping there was a way I didnt have to pay for extra texts. Only 2 of my friends have blackberries, the rest are using metro PCS and they seem to think I can accept and send as many texts as I want. I have a montly amount of 500, but I come really close sometimes as 500 is for sending and receiving.
    08-18-09 02:14 PM
    Threaded SMS is just like almost all messaging apps like AIM, BBM, MSN etc. Blackberries handle it slightly different now as all SMS appear in the SMS folder in a not so organized way. With threaded SMS you will just see the persons name and when you click you have the entire history under their name instead. This cleans up the SMS and makes it easier to navigate.

What suby is referring to is BBM 5 will handle part of the SMS function once completed. However its no finalized and it may only handle some of the SMS not all. We will see what happens when its finished. Also i have no clue if the 160 char barrier will be dealt with. It still might be in place.

that is a carrier thing. SMS should never become 'data'

I noticed in the new s2 video that it had at the top 160/6 or something like that meaning that you can send multiple texts if its past the 160. Pretty much just like a continuence thing im guessing..
    08-18-09 02:15 PM
    If you go over 160 letters it will send another text and so on.. BBM5 is pretty close to how the threaded texting will be.
    That is not what threaded sms is. Threaded SMS is conversation driven kinda like a thread in this forum. for example you click on your most recent txt and you will see the entire conversation history instead of having to go back to the inbox and viewing 1 at a time.
    08-18-09 02:16 PM
    I noticed in the new s2 video that it had at the top 160/6 or something like that meaning that you can send multiple texts if its past the 160. Pretty much just like a continuence thing im guessing..
    In that video he was on a GSM network. If you switch the S1 to GSM mode you will get the same screen, you cant send the txts out though in the mode on VZW
    08-18-09 02:27 PM
    True, I was just hoping there was a way I didnt have to pay for extra texts. Only 2 of my friends have blackberries, the rest are using metro PCS and they seem to think I can accept and send as many texts as I want. I have a montly amount of 500, but I come really close sometimes as 500 is for sending and receiving.
    Unlimited SMS/MMS is faiirly cheap ($10). I think you are already spending $5 for the 500 sms/mms as it is
    08-18-09 02:28 PM
    That is not what threaded sms is. Threaded SMS is conversation driven kinda like a thread in this forum. for example you click on your most recent txt and you will see the entire conversation history instead of having to go back to the inbox and viewing 1 at a time.
    Oh I know..Thats why I was saying its pretty close the BBM5 or I guess like AIM in a way. I was just talking about the new feature that will also be part of it(well hopefully)!
    08-18-09 02:28 PM
    In that video he was on a GSM network. If you switch the S1 to GSM mode you will get the same screen, you cant send the txts out though in the mode on VZW
    Oh ok, Ive never switched my phone to that and I never knew...good to know.
    08-18-09 02:29 PM
    Could you just ask them to send SMS to your email address instead? That could keep everyone happy.
    08-18-09 02:30 PM
    Don't you have to have an unlimited data plan for the blackberry? Meaning unlimited texting?

I know that's not what it is, but is this something available in the leaked BBM5 software? I hate having to break up texts just because it ran over like 2 words.. even dumb phones now will just flip automatically to message 2/7 or whatever it is.
    08-18-09 02:44 PM
    Don't you have to have an unlimited data plan for the blackberry? Meaning unlimited texting?
    Unlimited data and unlimited texting are 2 different things...one does not imply the other.

I know that's not what it is, but is this something available in the leaked BBM5 software? I hate having to break up texts just because it ran over like 2 words.. even dumb phones now will just flip automatically to message 2/7 or whatever it is.
    If I know ahead of time I need extra space, I'll just send an MMS (1000 char limit), but yeah, it can be a pain in the @ss when that limit creeps up on you while typing a message
    08-18-09 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD