I would like to know what apps you have/had on your Storm when the reboots occured and what OS you were running. I am on my third Storm and just tonight after owning this phone for less then a week, it has started the random reboots (same thing that happened on my first storm). Twice in one hour I grabbed my phone to check something and both times it was off, once I hit a button it started its reboot. Yesterday I downloaded Flycast on it to go along with pre-exsisting apps-Weatherbug, Quick pull and A stock app (cant remember the name)..After the second reboot I deleted Flycast and Weatherbug and since I have not had any reboots. I dont know if an error is happening when the apps are being downloaded, if it's the app itself or if this phone is headed for death. I would like to see if there is a consistant pattern with certain apps (mainly weatherbig or flycast)being on peoples phone when reboots start occuring.

One more thing..I did try the Sim card removal trick after the first reboot but that did nothing as my phone rebooted a little while after.

Thanks!
    01-13-09 09:15 PM
    Reboots has only happened to me on the .85 but after a few hours it never did it again.
    01-13-09 09:19 PM
    forgot to mention Im on .75..I would switch but Ive read there are problems with the newer versions to like you have mentioned. I think the problem was Flycast, maybe weatherbug since I had that app on my previous phone when it was rebooting. I just hope its an app, I dont want a 4th phone.
    01-13-09 09:22 PM
    I have AP and HockeyNews. Had WSJ but one of my first crashes was during use of that app so I got rid of it.

The SIM card trick sounds useless for me as I haven't had the kind of crashes described in that thread. I either get a quick white screen (with an unreadable error code - flashes too quickly) followed by a black screen and solid red LED or I get just a reboot to the home screen for no apparent reason.

Nothing with a snowy screen or Verizon logo.

My unit was made on 12/16/08
    01-13-09 09:26 PM
    I have AP and HockeyNews. Had WSJ but one of my first crashes was during use of that app so I got rid of it.

The SIM card trick sounds useless for me as I haven't had the kind of crashes described in that thread. I either get a quick white screen (with an unreadable error code - flashes too quickly) followed by a black screen and solid red LED or I get just a reboot to the home screen for no apparent reason.

Nothing with a snowy screen or Verizon logo.

My unit was made on 12/16/08
    I actually got the snowy white screen upon removal of the SIM card lol. These reboots I have never occur while I'm doing something with the phone. I'll grab my phone and hit a button and nothing will happen for about 3 seconds and then the red LED will come on and I know from there its rebooting so I'm kinda lost on what's causing this. Ive even check the phones software log that logs everything that happens with your phone. I can see where it reboots and what happens before it but its in some code that I have no clue what it says.

for anyone that doesnt know how bring up this log-turn your phone sideways, once all the icons have come up hit BB button-show keyboard- now hold the !?123 button so it locks then type " / " / and the log will appear.
    01-13-09 09:41 PM
    I've seen an error log once, and posted it here.
    Usually there aren't even warnings around the reboot. Just... nothing.

And only three have occured while I was using the phone. Three out of dozens.

Between this and the seemingly-low battery life, I guess I'm returning it. But if I get one that doesn't type well I'm returning that. Next thing you know I'll be one of those people returning the phone 5 or 6 times, or as some people here say "one of the mentally unstable people."
    01-13-09 09:52 PM
    friend has them with only google maps and VZN. I've had no problems, but don't have google maps
    01-13-09 09:54 PM
    How are you guys getting these random reboots? I've had my phone over a month now and been using all the apps listed and haven't had any of these problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 09:55 PM
    Don't quote me, but I think my reboots were due to peekawho. I noticed a couple of reboots when a sms would come in..paw would popup then reboot..
    01-13-09 09:57 PM
    How are you guys getting these random reboots? I've had my phone over a month now and been using all the apps listed and haven't had any of these problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If I knew how I wouldn't have them? Haha.

Like I said, 99% of them happen when it's sitting out on the desk next to me; when I haven't used it in long bursts of time. It just... reboots. Or crashes.
    01-13-09 09:59 PM
    Also: sometimes it comes back from a crash having lost my custom sound profiles.

Now that drives me insane!
    01-13-09 10:01 PM
    I just got my replacement phone yesterday. Didn't use it at all overnight - I let it charge - then it was fine for about 3 hours today. All of a sudden I had 3 reboots within an hour. One came while I was sending a text, another while I was on a call. This never happened with my previous storm. The only 3app I have is ESPN Mobile, had that with the other one too. What should I do about this?
    01-13-09 10:05 PM
    Well I still havent had a reboot since removing the apps but we'll see. I have to work tomorrow and for the most of the day I'm using my phone in some way so i'll know then if it reboots. If it doesnt then I'll download my apps back one by one and only one a day to see how that works. The only app I have on my phone right now that ive downloaded is quick pull so we'll see.
    01-13-09 10:13 PM
    No reboots on 1 phone, but my 2nd storm with no additinal apps used to reboot a few times a day. I think it has been behaving more lately. Haven't noticed any reboots on that one anymore.
    01-13-09 10:42 PM
    Alright, I deleted all my apps right after that post about it eating my custom profiles.

Put the Storm on the desk next to me. Did not touch it. Just left for a few minutes, came back, sat down, looked at it as it rebooted. I never went within a foot of it.
    So it's definitely not an app issue.

Screen flashed white, went black with a red led, then actually rebooted itself (oddly seems to be a combo of the two issues it usually has.)

The last event before the crash is an always-logged a System VM:ICSFv=3,w=131044
    Before that net.rim.gme RCXo
    a net.rim.hrtRt - CFin
    a net.rim.hrtRt Xsys

The closest warnings were 12 minutes prior:
    W net.rim.mdp - TXrp
    W net.rim.mdp TNda

20 minutes prior there was an Error:
    E profiles - AlertEngine: playerUpdate - error : java.lang.Exception:file:///system/samples/ringtones/BBPro_Sanguine.m4a.rem - javax.microedition.media.MediaException: Error initializing media
    I think I got an email at that point and wondered why it didn't play a noise as it had with my previous email (which is what tipped me off that the custom profile had been nuked.)
    Still, that was 20 minutes before the crash.

40 minutes prior there were errors with net.rim.gme TXNd and net.rim.gpak - TEfa. Errors, not warnings.
    01-13-09 10:48 PM
    My observation is far from scientific, but my reboots seem to occur when BB messenger is open, but not in use. I am running .75. extra apps are Facebook, BBM, AOL IM, talklock and Gmail.
    01-14-09 09:02 AM
    my first storm had so may problems that i only mentioned the phantom resets in passing to the VZW/ BB techs i s/w. In the last 2 weeks or so, after i have gotten all the other stuff straightened out, ive noticed that my storm was good for about 3 resets a day. This was after dozens of hard resets (battery pull) and even a wiping (master reset). Verizon replaced the phone, and within 6 hours of activating (and restoring) my new phone, it had reset (that i witnessed) 5 times. Most resets were similar to Cane2020's in that im not even touching the phone, no apps running. It will be sitting on my desk or in my car cupholder with the screen not lit, and will flash white screen, red LED, then black screen with the clock. They're may have been a total of 2 resets that occured WHILE i was using the phone(s).
    At this point i tried to figure out the common demoninators of the 2 phones, they were

battery
    media card
    google maps
    talklock

I went to the VZW store the next night and had them replace the battery (free of charge, no hassle at all) and that definitely slowed down the resets, but didnt eliminate them. Next day, i removed google maps. Then i tried that remove SIM card trick (note- this was not the same SIM card that was in my first storm-new phone, new SIM). Thought that was working, but still saw 2 resets the next day. I spoke with another VZW tech yesterday, who offered to send me a 3rd phone ( i declined) and instead we did another backup and wiped the phone. Instead of doing a full restore, we only restored my address book. That was yesterday around noon. Its been almost 24 hours now and i have not seen the phone reset yet.
    I'll give this another day, then add talklock back. I really hope that wasnt the cause bc i REALLLLLY like that app. Next I'll add weatherbug- although I highly doubt its that bc i just got that app yesterday an hour or so before the wipe.

My phone is still running w/o the SIM card, and is using the .75 that came with it. Im reluctant to "upgrade" to .85 or .86 bc of all the problems ive read about on these forums, plus, if VZW isnt backing it yet, thats the first thing (id assume) they'd have you remove when you call in with a problem.

So my advice to anyone would be to back up your phone, wipe it, then restore only address book. Wait 48hrs if no resets then add one app every day or two and keep an eye on it.
    01-14-09 10:00 AM
    I got my first RR (random reboot) AFTER got the .75 update. I can't remeber if they started before or after I downloaded WeatherBug though. I know I was having them before I downloaded Flycast though.
    01-14-09 10:14 AM
    Ok update..Well since removing all my apps last night after the reboots and watching it carefully today at work I am pleased to say it hasnt reboot once. My next step is to put the aps back on my phone one at a time and give each a day before adding a new one to see if I can recreate the reboot due to an app. I'll probably start with flycast or weatherbug since those are two that have caused me problems in the past. Thanks for the info that everyone posted!
    01-14-09 08:46 PM
    My Storm has been rebooting and restarting itself as well. It happens mostly when I'm texting or using BB Messenger. It would freeze up, then restart. One time, it just shut off by itself. Usually takes a while for it to turn back on with is annoying.

I upgraded the OS to the official .75 from Verizon when it first released. This has happened to me about 4 times since I got the phone. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

I don't want to get a replacement as it might be the same or even worst. I think it might be a software/firmware problem vs. the phone itself. Has anyone found anyone out recently from Verizon/RIM? Thanks!
    01-14-09 11:57 PM
    I had a couple reboots a few weeks ago that were random (just sitting in a drawer, etc) but the rest all came while in BBM and specifically when hitting the !?123 button. Annoying. I had 3 last night and 3 the day before. I can go a week or two w/ np and then bam happens in little clusters. I end the convos and by the next day fine. Last night though I deleted BBM and reinstalled. So far so good.
    I am running .75 w/ :TalkLock, MySpace, ESPN, and AP Mobile. I now have Tiltris and Acceleromter Demo installed but new today.

I use BBM a lot so that was annoying. Always same button. But like I said then would go a week w/ no prob. But when it happens I am done for the night (always seems to happen at night?)
    01-15-09 12:14 AM
    It's resetting right now.

Last night I sat to watch tv and put it on the coffee table in front of me. It was fine for about 10 minutes then started rebooting. Perpetually. It did four in a row before the people I was with put it behind us because they were sick of me saying "the damn thing is rebooting again!"

It's going back. That was just absurd. Not a single program on it, nothing open that can be closed, fine signal, and it just kept rebooting for about 5 minutes straight.
    01-15-09 04:04 PM
    Reboots has only happened to me on the .85 but after a few hours it never did it again.
    HA, wondering about that same thing when I went to .85 - was just about to go up to .86 but I didn't want to bug my admin about activating BES again and after about 1 day they went away. Good to know I was not alone <knocking on wood> it has not happened in the past 4 or 5 days....felt like I was on my Treo 650 again for a bit there.
    01-15-09 04:55 PM
    sorry fellas i meant to post this the other day....a buddy and myself both got our storms on the 31st of dec....he has multiple R.R.'s i have only had one....upon investigating he had a theme (plazmic something) in his app log that we think came over when we backed up and restored from his curve...we removed this and he has been trouble free...im not saying this will solve everyones issue but its worth looking into
    01-15-09 05:43 PM
    I was just listening on Flycast and the music cutoff to reboot..... anyone else experience this?
    01-15-09 06:00 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD