Hey everyone! My new every two is up in a couple of weeks and I was thinking of getting the storm. I use my phone mostly for the email, text, web surfing and of course watching videos (very big on the videos). VZW sales reps tell me the storm will be the best phone for me but I thought I would ask all the CB Addicts what they thought. Let me know if you think another BB would be better for me or if the storm really is the way to go. Thanks to all who reply!
    07-19-09 06:57 AM
    i do love my storm with .151 (even though i havent updated my profile yet to match my current OS) It is a very smooth OS and it increased my memory by about 8mb and it doesnt really have any memory leaks. I would recommend updating once you get your device and then loading 3rd party apps and such. It would just be easier in my opinion. The storm is great for web browsing and side by side with the tour (my storm had .151 on it) it was about the same speed. good luck
    07-19-09 07:30 AM
    Personally I love my storm. Seriously I can't stop using it. Its like a part of my life. Considering what u said its got u covered. Well of course you got your email and with a qwerty keyboard, it makes texting a breeze. It might take you a while to get used to the whole clicking but you mastered it...you'll find it easy. Web browsing is superb for me. I use Opera Mini instead of the stock browser. Its quite fast for web browsing. But the stock browser is also good. As for videos, be sure to get the Youtube application from the blackberry app store. Very good app for viewing youtube.

Hope this helps.
    07-19-09 07:34 AM
    Wow...you guys are quick! Thanks for the replies. Great ideas guys. Hope to see more thoughts and suggestions. Keep them coming!!! Thanks again!
    07-19-09 09:03 AM
    The storm is my first BlackBerry. I love it. I fumbled with it about 3 or four weeks before I discovered CrackBerry. Now I realize just how awesome it really is. However, many people that have used BlackBerries before using the Storm hate it. I would suggest going to a Verizon store and typing on it. That is usually the biggest issue. SureType works really well but takes getting used to. Once you master SureType, it is better and faster than QWERTY. Master SureType = love the Storm: don't master SureType = probably prefer the Tour.

Since you like videos, you can't beat the screen size of the Storm compared with other BlackBerries. Take your time and good luck.
    07-19-09 09:24 AM
    Why not wait for improved version in (likely) a couple mos--Storm 2?
    07-19-09 09:56 AM
    I do like my storm....I like my curve a lot too! It just depends on my mood lol. I have been rocking my curve for the last few months and I got my Storm out today . It is a fun phone you will enjoy it! It has a HUGE screen!

IowaguyBB
    07-19-09 12:33 PM
    To the op, if you can wait, stand pat untill there are some solid info in regards to storm2. But if you really need to get one now, storm 1 is fine. But is you are used to using a keyboard have a look at the tour as well.
    07-19-09 12:36 PM
    If you do lot of texting and email I would get the tour. You will go crazy with the storms kew pad its not ready for the prime time yet. Well I don't think it will ever be

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 12:41 PM
    If you do lot of texting and email I would get the tour. You will go crazy with the storms kew pad its not ready for the prime time yet. Well I don't think it will ever be

i do allot of email and texting and my storm works fine. As long as you can handle the learning curve of the keyboard you will be fine.
    07-19-09 01:02 PM
    Wow thanks for all the advice guys. I did go ahead and order the storm today, so it will be here on friday. The reason I didnt wait for storm 2 is that I basically got the phone for free from VZW. New every two plus another instant rebate and all I had to pay was CA taxes. Anyway thanks to all of you who shared your opinions with me!
    07-22-09 01:57 PM
    You will love the storm and with .151 update it is like a new phone. I had the curve and pearl flip before but the storm is a great device. GOOD LUCK!
    So is pretty much everyone feeling this way with the .151 update? I'm on the fence about whether I want to go with the storm or try a tour. Tour seems to be pretty buggy right now with the loose battery covers, call quality, bluetooth, etc. At least the storm has been around long enough to where some of those bugs have been ironed out.
    07-22-09 03:41 PM
    I'm a mad text and email fiend. I love my old 8700 for that and I imagine that the Tour would be that type of phone. I love the storm for the bigger screen and the media ability. Now I have had some issue with the Storm but they where minor. I think I would chalk it up to first gen phone. All in all a great phone and a good start.
    07-22-09 04:11 PM

This isn't altogether true. While many have complained about the 9530's keyboard and the difficulty they have typing with it, others - like myself - have no issues at all and feel that it works just fine.

While I admit it's not a physical keyboard and does (for the most part) have a bit of a learning curve, it's like anything else in life - some people are going to be better at it than others. Those that have become somewhat proficient in using it aren't going to complain, while those that aren't will likely take issue with it.

To the OP: it's a bit moot at this point since you've already ordered the 9530, but my personal recommendation would be to wait for Storm 2 - that is, if you can wait. That said, once you update the 9530 to the latest O/S, and assuming you get a good one out of the box, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.
    Last edited by grgiwoyna; 07-22-09 at 04:31 PM.
    07-22-09 04:27 PM
    Great choice...I got rid of my T-mobile Curve and bought the Verizon Storm and I don't regret it one bit. I love my phone and can't wait for the Storm 2. Upgrade to BBM 5 its awesome!
    07-23-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD