and yes, I've searched, I promise! (maybe not using the right terms, but hey, I tried!)

I've looked at all the threads about working on a memory leak -- and am very thankful to all the posters that have put up directions.

My problem? I am nervous about doing a wipe myself and while many posts on here make it sound ridiculously easy, I can't wrap my mind around the instructions, nor will it get quiet enough in my office for me to have the uninterrupted time to work through it.

So, I know VZW can't help me with it, as I learned that when I first upgraded my OS to .148, but -- are there any independent techs that will assist with this type of work on a smartphone? I have a memory leak that is getting worse -- to the point that I'm thinking I have corrupt data/files somewhere.

I've deleted every app that I don't really WANT (appstore etc.) and available memory doesn't increase. Was booting at about 33m, now down to 28 and it falls fast through the day.

I have a great independent group of tech guys that help me with my mac (Mac Business Systems for anyone in Tallahassee ) and would love to find anyone that could do the same for my phone. I'd love to be able to make an appt or run it by at lunch, have an experienced person look it over and diagnose or fix the problem.

Basically, trying to figure it out makes my already crazy busy head hurt even more and I'm looking to simplify my existence and would like not to have to reboot my phone a couple of times a day.

I've never seen anyone that advertises such a service -- any suggestions?

Thanks!
    09-03-09 09:50 AM
    I dont think there are any professionals for that, but I always see stuff on craigslist like iphone unlocking etc....

The OS you are running (4.7.0.148) is notorious for memory leaks as compared to some of the more recent leaks we have gotten. If you feel comfortable enough, Id recommend upgrading to 4.7.0.151. It will almost stop all memory leaking you have.

Memory leaks come from more than just apps, themes probably play the biggest part in memory leaks too. Check the link in my sig for info about OS's. Installing is fairly simple and you may not need to wipe if going from .148->.151.
    If you load it using Desktop Manager, it will back up all your contacts, SMS, email, etc. Then it will upgrade your phone. Just follow the directions and you will have nothing to worry about. I am available to call if you get into a bind, just PM me.

*Info about .151 is near the bottom of the first post, as well as a download link for it too*
    Last edited by Thanontos; 09-03-09 at 10:33 AM.
    09-03-09 10:26 AM
    I'm not sure if this will help, but my friend at Horizon Wireless offers a phone tech help service. You pay him for the time on the phone and he walks you thru whatever. His specialty is Blackberries, and he knows the Storm. He works on all phones thou. His shop is in (near) Montreal, so going there is not an option, but maybe with his help on the phone, you can get it resolved. Use the link in my signature and tell him pk from crackberry sent you and he will probably offer you a discount.
    09-03-09 11:16 AM
    Thank you guys so much -- I may start fresh tomorrow morning, lock my door and see if I can get this done!

Computer at home is a mac and don't have DM for Mac yet, so have to do on work machine. <sigh>
    09-03-09 01:23 PM
    With this forum, what else can you possibly need help with?
    09-03-09 01:33 PM
    Geeksquad aka crackberry.com.... Real Talk
    09-03-09 01:35 PM
    Perhaps because I'm blonde and afraid to do this myself? Because my brain hurts and I don't want to strain it anymore? Because I want to find someone to do it for me because it is is haaarrrrddddd? <whining tone here>

I've read through the threads and just don't feel confident doing it myself, though with the info above and the offer of someone on the other end of the phone, I might try.

My biggest problem is finding the 1.5 hours the tutorial suggests it will take. <sigh>

But, I may put a sign on my door tomorrow that says "blonde at work - be very afraid!" and see what I can get done.

Thanks -- this is a fantastic forum!
    09-03-09 01:37 PM
    1.5 hours? When I wipe and re-install, it takes an hour at most.
    09-03-09 02:14 PM
    Perhaps if you post your location someone here might just jump in and do it for you. I know I would do it for you if you where anywhere near me.
    09-03-09 04:51 PM
    Tallahassee I am certain I can probably learn how, but sometimes there are things I might rather NOT learn to do.
    09-03-09 05:30 PM
    You could actually take it to a Geek Squad counter at Best Buy. Although I don't work in the Geek Squad area I know that we take in phones and would treat it just like a PC data backup/restore. At my location we have 10 employees that have storms and more than half of us run Beta and leaks.
    09-03-09 06:29 PM
    if you can't figure out the wipe and restoring, email me and i'll help you out...

[email protected]

and read this, i know you said you've read stuff, but this is the one that outlines the process that you're talking about...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/
    09-03-09 07:45 PM
    Thanks guys! As usual, y'all have been really helpful.

Patches -- I've noodled around in that thread three times so far, though I have not read all 25 pages. What usually happens is that my pea-brain starts to hyperventilate when all the suggestions begin to be tossed about.

That is actually the thread that made me think I had corrupted data or a file rather than either the OS or the Apps.

One thing I did notice today is that although I have my email settings to only keep messages for 15 days, it has every message in it I've ever received (which at this point, is about 6 weeks worth) and I cannot find a way to delete them.

See, clearly a brain dead blonde. No question. And, the stacking up messages may not matter, but the longer I've had the phone the lower and lower my boot up memory gets to be. So, something is eating it up, slooooowwwly.

Hmmm.

Thanks for the tip on the Geek Squad! I may wander into Best Buy or call over there tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.
    09-03-09 10:29 PM
    Hmm -- finally got fed up -- not enough to try to wipe and reload my OS yet, but I kept wondering why the total available memory dropped a little each day.

Plugged up DM and went to look, and had 2700 emails stored on the device. Kept thinking that this was not a good thing, and so deleted them all.

Available app memory SOARED right up to where it ought to be.

So, excessive email storage can also be a culprit when looking for memory munchers. My setting is to only store it for two weeks, but it is keeping email forever instead. Odd, but I don't mind deleting them manually every so often.

Still will eventually want to upgrade the OS and really appreciate everyone's help, but at least I'm now booting up to where I did when the phone was new.
    10-09-09 01:30 PM
    Yes...we are the geeksquad for phones...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 01:51 PM
    Great work as usual gang!
    10-09-09 01:58 PM
    I'm not sure if this will help, but my friend at Horizon Wireless offers a phone tech help service. You pay him for the time on the phone and he walks you thru whatever. His specialty is Blackberries, and he knows the Storm. He works on all phones thou. His shop is in (near) Montreal, so going there is not an option, but maybe with his help on the phone, you can get it resolved. Use the link in my signature and tell him pk from crackberry sent you and he will probably offer you a discount.
    Thanks for the information.
    10-10-09 04:40 AM
    Thanks guys! As usual, y'all have been really helpful.

Patches -- I've noodled around in that thread three times so far, though I have not read all 25 pages. What usually happens is that my pea-brain starts to hyperventilate when all the suggestions begin to be tossed about.

That is actually the thread that made me think I had corrupted data or a file rather than either the OS or the Apps.

One thing I did notice today is that although I have my email settings to only keep messages for 15 days, it has every message in it I've ever received (which at this point, is about 6 weeks worth) and I cannot find a way to delete them.

See, clearly a brain dead blonde. No question. And, the stacking up messages may not matter, but the longer I've had the phone the lower and lower my boot up memory gets to be. So, something is eating it up, slooooowwwly.

Hmmm.

Thanks for the tip on the Geek Squad! I may wander into Best Buy or call over there tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

well if you need help my email is floating around everywhere, feel free to send me any questions you have...i'm usually available to respond the same day, usually. if it's urgent let me know and i'll find time or forward to someone else to help you..
    10-10-09 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD