I'm using a limited data package for my storm (3GB) and the cost of an additional 1GB will cost something like 50bucks.

I would really hate to over use as I am a new user who keeps downloading useless stuff to try out.

Would really appreciate if anyone can help me out here.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 11:42 AM
    really nothing? seriously need help... wouldn't want to be saddled with a HUGE phone bill at the end of the month

06-29-09 12:01 PM
    I have Telus but I think it works the same way. Go online and view your bill, there should be a section which shows you all the voice minutes you have used, and another section which allows you to view your data usage for a specific period of time.
    I have 500MB of usage per month and I haven't been close to going over yet, although I'm probably not as heavy a user as some...I use email frequently, have a few apps and browse the internet often but I rarely stream videos. Hope this helps.
    06-29-09 12:05 PM
    Can't you go to your provider's website and check data usage by viewing your account?

VZW offers "My Verizon" for BlackBerrys where you can monitor this, but it looks like you have another provider.
    06-29-09 12:06 PM
    Yes, sorry not your bill specifically but view your online account and there will most definetly be a way to view your minutes and data usage.
    06-29-09 12:08 PM
    Actually, I'm from Singapore.

There are 3 providers and unfortunately, mine does not provide a service whereby it will automatically cut the service if I exceed a certain amount.

I tot that it would be good if there was an app for me to track data usage.

Funny how the lower end models of other phones like Nokia have these functions.

06-29-09 12:09 PM
    Just to check.

I have these apps on background,

Weatherbug
    Viigo
    Facebook
    Utwitter
    MSN

if these apps were to be on auto update, will I exceed the 3GB usage provided?

06-29-09 12:11 PM
    I know there's a minutes program that Kevin previewed earlier this week, but I don't remember the name of it right off the top of my head.

Regarding the data issue, I truly do not know. However, I'd ask your provider if they have a shortcut item - VZW has #DATA - to see if you can get it OTA somehow (recording, text). They may have something too for the minutes.

Good luck, I wish you well!
    06-29-09 12:12 PM
    Mine will not cut service either, it will let you use as much as you want even if you go over your limit. However, you should have an online account where you can keep a close eye on how many minutes or how much data you are using.

There are applications available that let you track minutes or data usage but I'm not familiar with any in particular.
    06-29-09 12:13 PM
    I can't imagine that you will go over 3GB using these apps on auto update. You should be fine.
    06-29-09 12:14 PM
    Thanks Tom.

Guess I will have to wait till end of the month when I receive my bill to decide if I want to go on the unlimited data plan.

Wait till you hear the shocking roaming price. $2200 for 1GB usage in my neighbouring country (Malaysia). Guess I'll have to off the data roaming on my storm when I go over.

06-29-09 12:16 PM
    I know there's a minutes program that Kevin previewed earlier this week, but I don't remember the name of it right off the top of my head.

Regarding the data issue, I truly do not know. However, I'd ask your provider if they have a shortcut item - VZW has #DATA - to see if you can get it OTA somehow (recording, text). They may have something too for the minutes.

Good luck, I wish you well!
    Thanks!

06-29-09 12:17 PM
    When ur using the browser click the little green boxes in the top bar hope that helps

06-29-09 12:19 PM
    There is definitely an app that does this. I saw it just a few days ago, but can't remember any details.

I suggest you go to 3rd party apps and start a thread with a similar title.
    06-29-09 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD