Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. trueleon's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Question Is there any way to make the text messaging longer?

    I just have one problem. I text a lot but it seems to cut off at 160 characters. Is there any way on the storm to extend this?

    I mean receiving i get long essays but sending is another story. It gets cut off at 160. Does anyone have any ideas>?
  2. CrackberryMike's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    945 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,055 Global Posts
    PIN
    Yeah... I got one!
    #2  

    Default

    It's a Verizon issue; they cap at 160 if you are sending to non-Verizon customers.
    "Carpe Diem"
  3. SWFL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    302 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trueleon View Post
    I just have one problem. I text a lot but it seems to cut off at 160 characters. Is there any way on the storm to extend this?

    I mean receiving i get long essays but sending is another story. It gets cut off at 160. Does anyone have any ideas>?
    Send it mms!!!
  4. aponath's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Send a text as mms instead of sms and u aren't limited

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  5. trueleon's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Thank you guys! works like a charm =)
  6. AllenBeasley's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    PIN
    3049abe6
    #6  

    Default

    Search the forums. All of lifes dilemmas will be answered.
  7. Dostovel's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    454 Posts
    Global Posts
    579 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I hate the cap.... Lame
  8. Moncha#CB's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    73 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Its not Verizon, its the SMS standard. No way around it using SMS

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  9. bigman2's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,247 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    SMS = SHORT Message Service. Note that first word that I emphasized for you. And like Moncha said, it's not a VZW thing, it's a SMS standard thing. Some phones may break up longer messages into multiple messages, but the Storm doesn't when on the VZW network.
  10. realitee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #10  

    Default sms/mms

    my old phone used to do it through verizon. you just kept typing and as long as you were sending a verizon to verizon text it would just convert the message into an mms message and it would go through. i dont necessarily know before its too late that i am going to go over the 160.. this definetly annoys me too!!
  11. leemoreau
    leemoreau's Avatar
    Guest
    #11  

    Default

    It's so annoying and it is Verizon/Telus doing it it's nothing to do with SMS. SMS is limited to 160 characters but the carrier determines how it works. My old BB is an 8703e on Telus and my roomie has the same phone but Rogers. He can send long messages that get split up into multiple ones, but for me on mine 160 is the max. Even when I had non blackberries, like my LG Chocolate, it too would limit it at 140 or 160 characters, yet on Rogers again my RAZR would split it into multiple. I constantly receive texts from friends using Rogers and it's always 2 or 3 messages but when I reply I have to send one, type the next send, next send, so annoying.
  12. Billmanvl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    138 Posts
    PIN
    HEAD
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leemoreau View Post
    It's so annoying and it is Verizon/Telus doing it it's nothing to do with SMS. SMS is limited to 160 characters but the carrier determines how it works. My old BB is an 8703e on Telus and my roomie has the same phone but Rogers. He can send long messages that get split up into multiple ones, but for me on mine 160 is the max. Even when I had non blackberries, like my LG Chocolate, it too would limit it at 140 or 160 characters, yet on Rogers again my RAZR would split it into multiple. I constantly receive texts from friends using Rogers and it's always 2 or 3 messages but when I reply I have to send one, type the next send, next send, so annoying.
    That is actually a CDMA/BB thing.

    For some reason (no one can tell me why specifically) on CDMA networks BB's don't automatically split SMS's larger than 160 characters into multiple messages. They do it on GMS networks, and Verizon (CDMA) did it on my Treo, but not on my storm. Go figure.
  13. leemoreau
    leemoreau's Avatar
    Guest
    #13  

    Default

    Strange no idea, all I know is every phone I've had on Rogers it would split it into multiple, and most my friends are on Rogers/Fido (GSM) and I receive split up texts all the time. On Telus (CDMA) I've had my 8703e, I have the storm, I had an old LG flip, an old audiovox flip, and the realllly old mister skinny, and none of them split messages up, also when I had solo mobile (CDMA on Bell) for a year with the LG Chocolate it wouldn't split them either so from my experience with X number of phones it seems like the only way CDMA can split them is if the handset is coded to manually do it itself, where as GSM seems to be more automatic?
  14. stoliosoda's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    So does everyone think that this is basically a non-preferenceable setting on blackberries on cdma? Seems like a bizarre answer to me...I've used 8320s on gsm that splits the messages gracefully and tells you how many sms you are sending. I am typing this post on a sprint 8330 where each text has a hard stop at 160 chars. Really odd that somehow this is carrier specific and not device controlled.

    Perhaps a hard coded thing to unlocked phones?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  15. Rooster99's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,096 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,133 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    How do you send a message as MMS? Sorry, but I'm new to BB's and the only options I have are Email, PIN, SMS and BB Messenger.

    I'm on Telus with a 9530 running .75 if that means anything.

    - R.
  16. gozirra's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    PIN
    Cushion
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realitee View Post
    i dont necessarily know before its too late that i am going to go over the 160.. this definetly annoys me too!!
    You know, as you type in your sms, theres a number in the top center of the screen that starts out at 160, and as you type each character, it goes down by one, right?

Posting Permissions