hey everyone, I'm sure someone else has had this same problem. when I am texting the same person continuously for a while at times I can not open the message on the screen unless I restart my BB or compose a new message to the same person. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-17-10 08:02 AM
    I have that problem too...mainly with one person tho...i wish i knew what was wrong
    02-17-10 08:29 AM
    I havd had that happen a few times with different senders. Can't open the SMS no matter what I try. I found that it happened in really long threads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 10:06 AM
    Ditto. I always get that problem with only one person as well but like another poster mentioned those are the person I have problems with us the peerson I text the most and have a very long thread with.

02-17-10 10:45 AM
    I know the pain. All I can read when it does that are the few characters that will show up on the main SMS and MMS screen. When the person's individual thread pops up the line is blank. I've found nothing that restores it so far, but deleting the thread seems to eliminate the problem for a while.
    02-17-10 05:48 PM
    I was having the same problem since upgrading to 5.0. I contacted VZW and the rep, who seemed to be very knowledgeable with the Storm, asked me if I had activated it with *22899 after the upgrade. I told her I thought that I had. She checked the line and said that my last update was last year. Apparently, I had not. She told me to try that and I did. Since then, knock on wood, I haven't experienced any of those problems. It's worth a try. I didn't even know they could tell that from their computers!
    02-17-10 06:00 PM
    I've had the same issue with longer threads as well. I've found that if you go to compose a new SMS message with the same contact it will open the thread again for a little while. eventually it will lock up again though.
    02-17-10 06:16 PM
    *22899 is the number to reprogram your phone with having to choose an option. When I activated the storm on my employee account two weeks ago I used it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-17-10 08:53 PM
    I have the problem a lot with 2 or 3 contacts. My understanding with the problem is that it only happens when my phone has low application memory (for this case I will define low memory at 4mb or less). If this is the case I'm assuming the phone doesn't want to open the message because of the length of the thread. Has anyone else noticed what their memory was at when this happened? This could just be a fluke (doubtful) but it happens mainly when the memory is less than 1MB in my trials.

When I told Verizon this their response was "Wait even though you can reset now you still have a memory leak with the 5.0 OS?"

When I told them yes they said they couldn't help me because they know nothing. And yes my phone leaks memory even after wiping and installing 328 with nothing else on it.
    02-17-10 10:59 PM
    this is a pain in the a$$ and it really bugs me, it seems like an easy problem to fix but yet it hasnt been done. I have 27.XX mb consistently and this still happens
    02-24-10 11:06 AM
    Mine has been freezing a lot in the last few days. Really getting on my nerves. But up until few days ago it was fine. I didn't add any apps or anything new!

02-24-10 08:37 PM
    This happens on my device in BBM normally. I don't use SMS very much, so can't confirm there.

The way to get around it on BBM is to highlight the chat, click BB button, and end chat, then open a new chat and show recent messages. It will only show one, so you're screwed if they sent more than one since you checked, but that helps at least for the last one.

It has no relation to App memory for me. I normally sit around 18-20 MB free, and have an alert set to go off if I get below 10 MB and it has never been around that time that the BBM thread locked up.
    02-26-10 06:27 AM
    I have been having the same problem for the past two days. I try to open a text and it won't open. it just locks up. I back out of it and pull the battery and it works. I don't want to do that every time I have a problem.
    02-26-10 07:29 PM
    This is the one issue with my Storm that makes me want to throw it against a brick wall. It seems to have to do with the length of the chat not free memory because I am never below 25MB free. It only started happening, for me, since threaded sms started. I dont care about threaded messages and would gladly go back to the old way if it would stop this BS.
    02-27-10 05:39 AM
    The problem of memory usage is very common and most of the time free some memory space solve this kind of problem.
    08-02-13 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD