New to the site but long time visitor. Became a BB owner with the 8330.

My question is the RevA on the Storm. I have a wifi card I pay 60/month using RevA. If the Storm uses RevA, why would I keep my Wifi Card? The upcharge would only be 15 compared to 60 on the card. There has to be a catch. Would Verizon limit the bandwidth on the Storm? I just cant see why people would still keep the card when the phone does the same for 45 bucks cheaper.
    Last edited by CCM; 10-24-08 at 08:05 PM.
    10-24-08 08:03 PM

My question is the RevA on the Storm. I have a wifi card I pay 60/month using RevA. If the Storm uses RevA, why would I keep my Wifi Card? The upcharge would only be 15 compared to 60 on the card. There has to be a catch. Would Verizon limit the bandwidth on the Storm? I just cant see why people would still keep the card when the phone does the same for 45 bucks cheaper.
    I don't know either but I know the Verizon sales rep told me I could get the card free because of my plan.
    10-24-08 08:09 PM
    IIRC, it's only 15 bucks if you have BES which is 44.99, and it's 30 bucks if you have BIS which is 29.99.

Anyway you slice it getting laptop connectivity costs you 59.99
    10-24-08 08:11 PM
    I got the card free too last year when signing on but you look at the savings with only paying 15 bucks vs 60 for the same service. Plus its one less device needed to carry. Easier to connect to when sitting in airports. Only down side I see is no calls during the connection.
    10-24-08 08:13 PM
    IIRC, it's only 15 bucks if you have BES which is 44.99, and it's 30 bucks if you have BIS which is 29.99.

Anyway you slice it getting laptop connectivity costs you 59.99

If that's the case then it makes sense. I thought 15 across the board. I have BES and card so I guess it makes sense to dump the card in my scenario. Thanks for clearing that up.
    10-24-08 08:16 PM
    Some very basic questions from a Blackberry wannabe....

I am considering getting a Blackberry and I am currently using a Verizon modem card. I was thinking about the pros & cons of tethering. My only concern is no voice capability when on-line. Is that verified and true? Also, is tethering only done through USB or is there a Bluetooth capability.

Sorry for basic neophyte-like questions...

Greg
    10-24-08 08:37 PM
    I pay 29.99 for the unlimited internet (BIS) and an additional 15.00 for VZ Access Connect...total...45.00, which is less than the 60.00 a month.
    10-24-08 08:42 PM
    I pay 29.99 for the unlimited internet (BIS) and an additional 15.00 for VZ Access Connect...total...45.00, which is less than the 60.00 a month.
    Just checked my plan too and I have BIS and option for tethering is 15. Must be 15 across the board.
    10-24-08 09:59 PM
    I got the card free too last year when signing on but you look at the savings with only paying 15 bucks vs 60 for the same service. Plus its one less device needed to carry. Easier to connect to when sitting in airports. Only down side I see is no calls during the connection.
    Isn't one of the Storm's main features Multi-tasking though? I mean by all means am I no expert and I have yet to play with the Storm, but is it much different being on the phone and surfing the internet, then tethering and talking?
    10-24-08 10:22 PM
    what world do you live in where you don't get calls during the connection??

my curve lets me get calls all day with the connection, i just have to pause the connection. and the special thing about the storm is you will be able to do data and voice at the same time, so YES calls during the connection.

Get your facts straight
    10-25-08 10:08 PM
    it would be awesome if you were able to answer your call on ur computer
    10-25-08 10:28 PM
    so is there a speed difference or drop off if got a rev A card and love the speed **** i watch tv threw hulu with it... so the way you all are talking is to save a buck is to drop the aircard what about contract will i be able to drop it ive had card for 9 months pros and cons please
    10-31-08 06:47 PM
    I have the Pearl and use the tethering and it works great. Have had no problems with it at all and it is much cheaper than the card I used to use $15. I still get calls on it too when I am online. I have used the tethering for about a year.
    11-01-08 11:31 AM
    wonder if you could tether to an itouch????
    11-03-08 08:53 PM
    what world do you live in where you don't get calls during the connection??my curve lets me get calls all day with the connection, i just have to pause the connection. and the special thing about the storm is you will be able to do data and voice at the same time, so YES calls during the connection.Get your facts straight
    Hmmm. CDMA can't do simultaneous data/voice, and GSM can, right? So if you are not overseas using the Storm on GSM, but in the States using CDMA, then I would imagine you would not get simultaneous voice/data. Just a guess though. I don't have a Storm.

That said, when I am tethered on my CDMA 8330, the only time voice busts through data is if the connection is idle. It is hit and miss. If you happen to be in the middle of a download or finishing letting a webpage fully come in, you're not going to get your call. It will go straight to voice mail.

Also,bb e-mail is suspended the entire time you are tethered, whether or not the connection is idle.

That's exactly why I am going to stop tethering and get an air card. Keep in mind that's just my own personal experience. I don't know why jaydee has different results.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-08 12:32 AM
    what world do you live in where you don't get calls during the connection??

my curve lets me get calls all day with the connection, i just have to pause the connection. and the special thing about the storm is you will be able to do data and voice at the same time, so YES calls during the connection.

Get your facts straight
    I think you need to take your own advice and get your facts straight,Verizon does not support simultaneous voice & data so data has to pause and resume when call is finished.
    11-04-08 07:09 AM

First, it's not a "wifi" card. The card you get from Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc, is used to access their networks, not wifi. Second, air cards are usually a little faster than a phone with comparable data specs. Third, using an air card can be more convenient, because your phone is free from having to stay connected to the pc via data cable. Also, CDMA doesn't do voice and data at the same time. On the flip side, it may also be more convenient to just use the Storm and not an aircard to have only one device. If you do that, you will save money on the laptop connect/broadband access charge. If you pay $29.99 right now for blackberry, it will cost an additional $30 for tethering, instead of $60 for a separate laptop/air card line.
    11-04-08 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD