Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default tethering my storm with my macbook

I was able to pair my storm with my macbook but I cant seem to figure out how to find where I can click connect. I have the service and program to do this. I have no problem tethering with my windows pc, its just my macbook that I'm having problems with. I know there are alot of genius out there that can give me some good pointers. Thanks in advance!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,201 Global Posts
    PIN
    3048A54A

Here is a USB tethering tutorial I wrote up.

Merry X-Mas

First visit the http://www.vzam.net/site click on download now.

Then use these settings to download your copy of VZAccess Manager:

Enter your phone number or any number for that matter and hit continue.

You will be prompted with this screen and just hit download.

On your BlackBerry Storm Hit the BB Key...go to Options...Memory and make sure you have your setting like this:

Hit the BB Key and save.
    After its downloaded install it and run it.

From here on, just follow the on screen instructions:

On this step you won't see anything in this screen, I just have that because i've already run the setup.
    Storm Wallpapers/Ringtones stormgrounds.com

follow me....twitter.com/0mie...ill post about latest Storm games/apps/themes and other things

My Em@il: 0mie@crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,201 Global Posts
    PIN
    3048A54A

Finally Step to USB Tethering, Hit Connect WWAN

And you are now on your way to browsing the net via USB.

BBA Connect is NOT FREE. $30/month extra is using BIS and $15/month extra if you are on BES. Good thing is you can add and remove as you please and you only get charged for the days you use.

Maybe Crucial can move this to the How To's Section

follow me....twitter.com/0mie...ill post about latest Storm games/apps/themes and other things

CrackBerry Addict

So if I tether my phone to my computer verizon will charge me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just ask...

Waooo, nice tut.
    Storm addict's Favorite Mobile Site:

I Love My Storm.com Oh Yes I Do! - Visit on your Blackberry Storm today.

Latest Storm 2 - News & Rumors
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

BBA Connect is NOT FREE. $30/month extra is using BIS and $15/month extra if you are on BES. Good thing is you can add and remove as you please and you only get charged for the days you use.
    Sorry, you lost me with the acronyms. Will the $30/m verizon data plan cover this, or do I need to pay more on top of that in order to tether via this method.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I use this method to tether my storm to my Macbook

imroot.com Blog Archive Bluetooth Tether Verizon Blackberry 8800 on Leopard

That all being said, if you have the $30 Blackberry plan, it costs $30 a month to tether. But it's pro rated per daily use, so you can add or take it off your plan as needed, so think of it as $1 a day each day it's active on your plan. If you have the $45 Blackberry BES plan, then it's only $15 a month to tether. Your "limited" to 5 GB per month, but they don't cut you off, they just turn down your bandwidth.

If you don't have it on your plan and try to tether, you'll get online, but the only thing you'll be able to get to is the Verizon "please add this option to your plan" website. So it's kinda useless to get around it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

wow, $60/m to tether (or $30 + $1/day + hassle). that's unfortunate. I'm thinking about switching to the storm from the omnia (win mo) and use WMWifiRouter to tether without paying anything in addition to the $30/m data plan. I was hoping to find something similar for the blackberry but it sounds like I'm out of luck. Thanks for the info.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Does anyone know if the USB tethering method is possible to do when Missing Sync is installed? I installed the VZManager, but MS complained about a conflict. I reinstalled MS to correct the conflict, but before and after reinstalling MS, VZManager could not detect Storm when it was connected via USB.

I have successfully tethered via USB when I had my 8703e BB, but I did not have Missing Sync back then.

For now I think I'm going to go back an setup Bluetooth tethering for now, but would be nice to have the USB option. At least with my 8703e I had found the bluetooth option to be less reliable, but we'll see if that's better with the Storm.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Odd Error Message

I have been trying to follow the tutorial for USB tethering my Storm to my Mac but I am getting an odd error message when the VZAccess Manager is searching or wireless devices. The error I am receiving is: "VSPNotSupported NoVSPOn1030" I have no idea how to get beyond this point as the Setup Assistant cannot find ANY wireless device so I never get out of the Setup portion of the program. Is it because I still have Mac OSX 10.4 as opposed to 10.5? Or am I screwing up somewhere else?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

So correct me if I'm wrong but we need to pay on top of our data plan for a tethering option to use our phone as a modem?

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by chronictacos View Post
    So correct me if I'm wrong but we need to pay on top of our data plan for a tethering option to use our phone as a modem?

YES. you have to pay ADDITIONAL fees to teather your phone.
    they were best explained above... the more expensive your plan, the cheaper it is to teather the phone. you're looking at either $30 (reg bb service)
    $15 if you've got their bigger plan.
    all in all after taxes, teathering fees, etc.. i'm paying about $105 a month.
    DJ Yoshi
    Official DJ: Rutgers Football
    Sound of the 2011 NY Jets
    Boost Mobile's Hot Import Nights Tour Stage
    twitter.com/djyoshi
    soundcloud.com/dj-yoshi
  13. 312
    CrackBerry Genius

Yep, me too. I've been connecting flawlessly via USB & Bluetooth on my OSX86 machine thanks to the above tutorial and this article: The MacBook and Blackberry Storm are a pair | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

$45/month is very much worth it!
    CrackBerry User

What are the benefits of accessing the internet through my storm versus just getting a connect card from verizon?

CrackBerry User

Typical VZA software application. I've used VZA for years on a PCMIA card, I believe they have kindergartners write these app's for them. When I try to install this app on my mac I cant get a detection to my BB either.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,201 Global Posts
    PIN
    3048A54A

Quote Originally Posted by kvidal View Post
    Typical VZA software application. I've used VZA for years on a PCMIA card, I believe they have kindergartners write these app's for them. When I try to install this app on my mac I cant get a detection to my BB either.
    Did you dl the version I said? If you are using OSX 10.5.6, it will NEVER detect it. There is a bug in the new update. :/

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by acles003 View Post
    What are the benefits of accessing the internet through my storm versus just getting a connect card from verizon?

There isn't any except having to pay for hardware (or having to sign a long term contract with a connect card)
    CrackBerry Newbie

This just worked for my Curve on 10.5.7 thanks!
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for this quick guide, works like a champ on my storm (running .148 as of this writing). Funny that VZW doesn't show this as available for blackberry's on the mac platform - it works perfectly. Sitting in my office, I'm getting OK speed - nothing to shout from the rooftops about, but it's better than having to boot into Windows via Boot Camp (or Parallels) to get connected.

Did a quick speed test over at speakeasy, attached. Again, nothing super-speed here, but it works. VPN connection into my office is rock solid too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tethering my storm with my macbook-picture-1.jpg  
    CrackBerry User

I did some digging on the non-detection thing and it appears that it's crucial that you have the mass-storage set to yes.

I typically have mine set to "prompt" so that it doesn't mount my memory card when I plug it into my mac - it just charges it. The VZA software will not detect the phone is plugged in unless this is set to yes and the memory card/internal memory is mounted in the operating system.

I can live with having to eject the mount in exchange for being able to tether properly.

Hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Working on BlackBerry Pearl 8130

I just got this working on my BlackBerry Pearl 8130. I followed mostly the same directions, with a few differences:

I kept noticing that /var/log/system.log kept having the following message logged to it:

VZAccess Setup Assistant: *Blackberry fatal error - file /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSBDev.kext/Contents/Plugins/embeddedVSP is missing !!!

So, I looked and lo and behold the file was there:

/System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSBDev.kext/Contents/PlugIns/embeddedVSP

Note that the i in Plugins is capitalized on the file system, but not in what the VZAccess Setup Assistant is looking for.

Probably not a big deal on a default installation of OS X, but I am using a case-sensitive file system, so it was a big deal. So I created a symlink with the following commands:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/BlackberryUSBDev.kext/Contents/
    sudo ln -s PlugIns Plugins

But it didn't work, even after restarting kextd. So, I then downloaded PocketMac and the updated drivers. Same issue, so I recreated the symlink again using the above instructions, fired up VZAccess Manager, and lo and behold my Pearl was detected, and VZAccess Manager did it's thing.

I had been toying around with getting berry4all to work, but was having no luck; now that I have this working, I'm just glad to be able to get my money's worth on the tethering plan.

Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone trying to tether using VZAccess Manager on a case-sensitive file system on a Mac, to help them avoid the frustration I'd been feeling in trying to get this to work.

Also, I discovered that I did not need to have Mass Storage Mode on when having it detect my Pearl in order to get it to work. YMMV.
    CrackBerry Newbie

wow THANKS! I'm so frustrated with Verizon right now. Nobody there has any clue how the tethering works with a Mac and they sent me to this site for technical support but sent me down the wrong path..... and that was after they tried to tell me I couldn't do it at all on a Mac.

....4 hours later I find this thread and it turns out the solution is SO simple if only anyone at Verizon had any clue at all.

Anyway, thanks a lot!
    Last edited by ditchmonkey; 08-17-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Different type of plans are suggested out there but only fewer of them will suites to everyone needs. I'm always looking to have a better connect card which functions well with my mac-book and i would only trust on connect card which is having some great features and functionality along with the best calling and surfing rates.