Is there a way to temporarily stop your email from going to your Storm? I am going away this weekend, and don't want my emails being sent to the phone. I will be out of service for most of the weekend anyway. I am still learning this phone.. but I love it!

Also, is there a way to add/remove icons on the phone's main menu as well? There are a couple that I don't want on there and a few that I do.

Thanks everyone!!

Jen
    06-05-09 08:52 AM
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services > selection "Off". Your data will be turned off. You will not receive e-mail or any other data.
    06-05-09 09:04 AM
    You can also hide or move icon from the main screen into another folder. Select it and hit the BB key. U will see the option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 09:12 AM
    I think you could also delete the service books pertaining to your email. Options>advanced options>service books. Find the ones pertaining to your email and delete. You can always resend them when you get home. This also allows you to browse the internet and such because you don't have to turn your data off.
    06-05-09 09:15 AM
    I have never understood why people want to turn off email? Isn't that the main reason for having a BB?

06-05-09 09:20 AM
    Maybe he just doesn't want to be bothered while he is out of town or something?
    06-05-09 09:23 AM
    I really only want it when i am actually on call and required to be checking it after work hours. amavit is correct. It is especially troublesome when it is your personal BB and you are going on vacation for a while to deal with all of those little "dings" when you can get over 50-100 e mails a day...

It might be good to distiniguish if you are asking about turning off between BIS or BES. There are easier option if you are on the BIS.
    06-05-09 09:29 AM
    Thanks for everyones help on this. I know I know, the reason to have a BB is to check emails, however I will be out of service area completely, unless I drive up to the top of the one mountain. I'd rather not have to deal with my BB exploding with emails once it is back into service... LOL. That will suck.
    06-05-09 09:38 AM
    Thanks for everyones help on this. I know I know, the reason to have a BB is to check emails, however I will be out of service area completely, unless I drive up to the top of the one mountain. I'd rather not have to deal with my BB exploding with emails once it is back into service... LOL. That will suck.
    that would most definitely suck...i would like to watch the phone explode with emails though that would be funny!
    06-05-09 09:40 AM
    Along those lines, is there a way to only pull e-mail when you want to? I.E., do manual downloads? I'm trying to maximize battery life, and instead of burning up the airwaves doing regular polling, I'd rather it just pull the e-mails when i'm actually looking at it. My e-mail volume isn't that high.
    06-05-09 10:49 AM
    Along those lines, is there a way to only pull e-mail when you want to? I.E., do manual downloads? I'm trying to maximize battery life, and instead of burning up the airwaves doing regular polling, I'd rather it just pull the e-mails when i'm actually looking at it. My e-mail volume isn't that high.
    From my knowledge I don't think there is, however I have never wanted to do this, so I do not know. If anyone else has an idea please chime in.
    06-05-09 11:11 AM
    What does BIS and BES mean? I'm BB ******** still with all of this stuff. This is my first BB, though I love it! Yes it would suck to have it explode with emails, but truly funny I agree. LOL
    06-05-09 12:04 PM
    What does BIS and BES mean? I'm BB ******** still with all of this stuff. This is my first BB, though I love it! Yes it would suck to have it explode with emails, but truly funny I agree. LOL
    BIS= Blackberry Internet Service

BES= Blackberry Enterprise Service

Congrats on this being yorur first bb and loving it. My storm is also my first and I *sings* LOOOOOOOOOVEEES it
    06-05-09 04:22 PM
    If you are on BIS, you can log into the BIS site and turn off forwarding of emails to a device (it is a filter setting).

When you return, and have checked (and deleted or moved to folders) your emails from a PC, you can then turn forwarding back on.

Remember that even if you turn off forwarding, all messages that are "new" to the device will be forwarded to it when you turn forwarding back on.
    06-05-09 04:33 PM
    Or you could just delete the service books and get rid of the email on your phone period. Then you can just check the emails on your computer when you get home and then resend service books. That way you won't get a ton of emails flooded to your bb, if you do this instead of the other options.
    06-05-09 04:39 PM
    Options - security options - firewall
    Enable it then u can block bis and/or bes email

06-05-09 04:40 PM
    Options - security options - firewall
    Enable it then u can block bis and/or bes email

I completely forgot about that option! Nice call AgTitan!
    06-05-09 04:53 PM
    D'Oh the firewall that's right

That shouldn't have the problem with "exploding" the phone when it is turned off either, because the messages would have been "seen" by the phone, but blocked.

Good catch Titan!
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 06-05-09 at 05:03 PM.
    06-05-09 04:58 PM
    D'Oh the firewall that's right

That shouldn't have the problem with "exploding" the phone when it is turned off either, because the messages would have been "seen" by the phone, but blocked.

Good catch Titan!
    We're all so dumb lol jk jk I hope this helps the OP's problem.
    06-05-09 05:02 PM
    Just thought of something, the OP said he would be outside the coverage area....

Will the firewall still filter / block messages when the phone is off? Or will OP need to leave firewall on for a while after he gets back inside coverage, so it can do it's thing, then turn off the firewall when he gets home?
    06-05-09 05:05 PM
    This sounds like a Brilliant idea...is it pretty straight forward which service books are related to eMail? Does the resending of the service books make you have to re enter any of your info for apps purchased/registered?

This is also my first BB, but i am catching on quick.
    06-05-09 05:10 PM
    For the firewall thing will it also block anything else?
    Will this block Text messages as well or using the internet, or YouMail?
    06-05-09 05:13 PM
    Mad, Yes it is pretty easy to identify the service books, no it wont require you to re register.

The firewall can block any / all of the following
    SMS, MMS, PIN messages, BIS email, BES email. You can also setup exceptions, to allow messages from all contacts, or only specific people / email addresses / phone numbers through.
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 06-05-09 at 05:34 PM.
    06-05-09 05:16 PM
    Ahh...i see thanks for the info. That makes sense. I think the IT policy i had on my other Storm would not allow me to change any of that...I just got a new one as my other one died...i am goign to try the BIS for a little while and see what i like best. Maybe i can see if the BES admin here can set up a policy for me that will allow me to change those settings...
    06-05-09 05:21 PM
    My it policy locks the firewall to be enabled...but let's me choose what to block and not block...by default nothing is blocked but I can block whatever I want.
    Ahh...i see thanks for the info. That makes sense. I think the IT policy i had on my other Storm would not allow me to change any of that...I just got a new one as my other one died...i am goign to try the BIS for a little while and see what i like best. Maybe i can see if the BES admin here can set up a policy for me that will allow me to change those settings...
    06-05-09 05:27 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD