All of my HTC phones under Verizon has been able to send multiple page texts...sometimes it would be delivered in some random order...when I was with Sprint my Sanyo pos and my Samsung were both able to do this also...beyond 160 does the trick...im happy most of the people I would text have BBM...
    07-01-09 11:27 AM
    This is really funny. I have to say, if you have so much to say that you are writing half page sms messages, just call the person....
    07-01-09 11:42 AM
    This is really funny. I have to say, if you have so much to say that you are writing half page sms messages, just call the person....
    There are plenty of times where it's much more convenient and polite to send a text message rather than call. 160 characters including spaces really isn't much space at all. It's a couple of sentences...
    07-01-09 11:51 AM
    I think what some of you are forgetting and it has already been said is that the SMS protocol limit is 160 characters. Just because some phone manufacturers have software and split up into multiple txts does not mean that it is something that should be included in every phone. Think about this...What if someone who does not have an unlimited txt plan writes a long txt that is split up into many txts and does this many times...they might get a very big surprise bill. There are protocols for sending larger messages like MMS. Obviously the person needs to be capable of receiving it, but such is the case with SMS.
    07-01-09 12:36 PM
    I think what some of you are forgetting and it has already been said is that the SMS protocol limit is 160 characters. Just because some phone manufacturers have software and split up into multiple txts does not mean that it is something that should be included in every phone. Think about this...What if someone who does not have an unlimited txt plan writes a long txt that is split up into many txts and does this many times...they might get a very big surprise bill. There are protocols for sending larger messages like MMS. Obviously the person needs to be capable of receiving it, but such is the case with SMS.

Interesting point... here's a nice article on the founding of SMS: Why text messages are limited to 160 characters | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    07-01-09 01:57 PM
    People who text usually have texting plans that match their usage...

If you are someone who send 3000 messages a month, then you usually get the unlimited texting plan. If you are someone who send 10 a month, you probably dont have a plan. If you send a SMS message that has been split up into 5, then you are ok. Now if you send 100 messages like that, then you are probably no longer an occasional texter; you are probably a avid texter.

The post about switching to GSM, typing a text, and then switching to CDMA is a very good point. I dont understand why our phones are allowed to do that after i was scolded about CDMA carriers not allowing that to happen. Thus, the theory is null and void. Our phones are capable and CDMA is capable.
    07-01-09 02:13 PM

If you are someone who send 3000 messages a month, then you usually get the unlimited texting plan. If you are someone who send 10 a month, you probably dont have a plan. If you send a SMS message that has been split up into 5, then you are ok. Now if you send 100 messages like that, then you are probably no longer an occasional texter; you are probably a avid texter.

The post about switching to GSM, typing a text, and then switching to CDMA is a very good point. I dont understand why our phones are allowed to do that after i was scolded about CDMA carriers not allowing that to happen. Thus, the theory is null and void. Our phones are capable and CDMA is capable.

I am not up to date on the vaious txting plans because I have unlimited, but I know many people who do not have unlimited and it would not be un-reasonable to think that somebody spliting a txt into 5 or so would eventually surpass their quota. Also you need to think about the person you are sending the split messages to...They will also be receiving 5 times more txts than they would normally.
    07-01-09 03:24 PM
    I am not up to date on the vaious txting plans because I have unlimited, but I know many people who do not have unlimited and it would not be un-reasonable to think that somebody spliting a txt into 5 or so would eventually surpass their quota. Also you need to think about the person you are sending the split messages to...They will also be receiving 5 times more txts than they would normally.
    But you ALREADY have to think about that, regardless of how many messages yours is split up to.

Instead of allowing me to keep on typing, i have to end my sentence quickly and start a new text.

That 1/6, 2/6, 3/6, and so on, is not hard to understand. If someone can not simply add up "bigger" numbers instead of just 1's, then they don't need to be using a smart phone. 3+3=6. Its the same as 1+1+1+1+1+1. The only difference is that it takes me longer to type out individual messages. In fact, its very rare that i can get a message to 160/160 characters, thus I am losing out on the full potential of each message.
    07-01-09 05:20 PM

I wasn't scolding you so much as correcting your statement. This is the only phone until the tour get released that you can switch your networks back and forth like that with to "trick" the phone. All other CDMA berry's including the 8830WE did not have this ability, while the 8830 would do the 1/6 while in GSM mode it would immediately shorten the message when you switched it back to CDMA. I have not verified if the storm behaves in the same manner as the 8830 as I am waiting on a phone call right now so I am not killing my network just to try it.
    07-01-09 05:58 PM
    Does it really matter if people think it should or shouldn't be done? I'm wondering why it isn't done, since it is done on other CDMA phones (both smart and dumb) and it is also done on this phone only when GSM is enabled. I already know which of my friends have unlimited texting (all of them) so I don't have to worry about how many messages I'm sending to them (if it takes 2 messages to get the point across, then it takes two wether the phone splits it up or I do).

Majority of my friends don't have smartphones so e-mail is out.
    MMS isn't included in my plan so that is out.
    Phone calls aren't always the best option (though sometimes they are).

Why does everything in this site have to turn into such a big fight, can't we just have a conversation about a subject without people rushing in and saying I shouldn't be doing this, I should pick up the phone instead?
    07-01-09 06:44 PM
    Too lazy to look this up or think about it...ATT is GSM correct? And that would explain why on my curve I can have a message split into six parts of 160 characters each
    07-01-09 07:01 PM
    yes, ATT is GSM and thats why you have this feature.
    07-01-09 07:09 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD