Ok so I never tried this until yesterday, but I actually set my blackberry up as a modem

Everything went without hitch until I opened up a web browser

Then a verizon welcome screen popped up smashing my dreams!

You have to pay for it! Seriously I already pay bookoo dollars for a data package, do they really expect me to pay for the same thing twice?

I mean let's get real, basically all your doing is using the web service you already pay for, but use a computer to browse instead of your phones screen! And at dial up speeds at that.

Is this true? I could have sworn that a long time ago there was a thread on teathering for free! I know its spelled wrong but you know what I'm talking about.

Is there really no way to use your phone as a modem without paying a rediculious extra 30 bucks a month?

Someone please tell me I'm missing something!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 02:40 PM
    I don't think there is a way to tether for free. There are apps where you can pay a one time fee and be done with it, however these apps violate Verizon's TOS. It is possible to use these apps (such as tetherberry and such) and not face being charged as long as you don't have a lot of usage from the computer. Don't stream music, download songs or torrents. As long as you just do regular web browsing, then you won't even get close to the 5 gig cap that Verizon has in place. But like I said, I don't think there is essentially a way to tether for free, but I could be wrong.
    12-17-09 02:50 PM
    Check out TetherBerry and PDANet
    12-17-09 02:54 PM
    Heed amavits warning about the 5 GB limit. Although it says unlimited web browsing when you signed up, take a close look at the fine print. Unlimited still limits you to 5 GB of usage. If you exceed this limit, you can be charged and it. I'm not sure about Verizon, but you can check your usage online with Sprint, I'm sure you can with Verizon also.
    12-17-09 04:25 PM
    Tetherberry is an awesome app! It's usually a $50 one time fee, but they have specials all the time. Even at full price it is well worth it.

Using Tetherberry, you are using your BlackBerry unlimited data. VZW sells Tetherberry in their VZW branded app store so i assume it's OK to use. i would also keep it under the 5 GB tethering cap to be safe.

Highly recommend Tetherberry!

12-17-09 04:26 PM
    Vzw app store???

12-17-09 09:32 PM
    I thought the 5gb was the limit on tethering (with the plan) and that the phone itself was unlimited because who can get more than that out of it anyway?
    12-17-09 09:45 PM
    I do every month. Streaming music nd downloading podcasts uses most of it not counting my email and browsing. And VZW doesn't have an app store that I'm aware of......

12-17-09 10:30 PM
    I do every month. Streaming music nd downloading podcasts uses most of it not counting my email and browsing. And VZW doesn't have an app store that I'm aware of......

You use 5GB of tethering data a month?? I thought I was bad.. I'm a pretty moderate user, using it daily at my job as my personal network to download/stream/browse. But the closest I come to is 500MB a month. Take a look at my last months, see attachment:
    12-18-09 03:23 AM
    I don't think he means tethering and reaching 5GB I think he means regular phone usage. It's definitely possible I haven't checked recently but a while back I checked my data usage one month I had 4.5GB the following month I used 5.1GB. it's easy to hit those numbers once you start using product like podtrapper, Pandora, youtube, etc...

12-18-09 04:13 AM
    Vzw app store???

VZW Today

Click on Get Apps.

Notice i said VZW branded App Store. It's powered by Handango. However, it is VZW approved and Tetherberry is listed. It is on the VZW mobile homepage, so it's effectively their app store.

12-18-09 05:25 AM
    I thought the 5gb was the limit on tethering (with the plan) and that the phone itself was unlimited because who can get more than that out of it anyway?
    Verizon claims it to be unlimited on the phone, but by reading the TOS you can see they actually mean 5 gb. By normal phone browsing you will not really come close to that, unless as stated you start using streaming music apps and such. Tethering has a 5 gig limit. So either way there is a 5 gig limit, and if you are tethering it is better to not get close to that so you won't get charged.
    12-18-09 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD