Hi,

I have a 9530 running .148 on vzw and have the simplest of questions but can't seem to find the answer: what is the difference between TCP and BIS?

I noticed that alot of my "connected" apps have the option to choose which connection to use and several even have an automated way of doing so. Which is optimal? Which is faster? Which is more stable and continuously connected?

Also, if I connect via TCP, am I able to bypass BIS all together?? To my understanding, BIS is strictly Email & Internet. The email portion sucks (5 min delays, horrible gmail integration, etc.), so if I was able to access the internet via TCP, then I could save $30/month.

Please don't blast me if this has been discussed before. I searched and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys (and gals)!!

Shan
    07-13-09 04:10 PM
    I'll Brb with a link to google defining what tcp means.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 04:42 PM
    Transmission Control Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically you will still need BIS to run email and web, etc. All of those apps and features are hosted by RIM in their servers. So no, can't ditch the $30 data plan. Its required on VZW, and most (do not read as all) carriers require it also.

Hint: google search will bring up CB articles 99% of the time. Especially in the sinforums that "aren't searchable"

Sent from my iphone dominating storm

07-13-09 04:47 PM
    Oh darn. LOL!

So why do they give the option to connect either via TCP or BIS?? What would be the difference, if any?
    07-13-09 04:55 PM
    Well I'm assuming its for phones with wi-fi or a private network connection of some kind. None of which applies to the storm specifically since we have no way to get data besides BES or BIS.

07-13-09 04:58 PM
    ahhh, point taken. thank u so much for ur clarification!!

now if only I could figure out why apps work on the tcp setting (like pandora, ubertwitter, yatca, genicious, etc.).....
    07-13-09 05:08 PM
    Because there's only one data connection channel, no matter what option you choose it only has one connection so they're gonna work no matter what.

07-13-09 05:16 PM
    Kewl thAnx to everyone for the help only one more day till I get my storm but I'm on my iPod touch right now haha

07-13-09 05:28 PM
    oh, ok I get it. that sucks, lol! guess I'm just gonna have to wait til they come out with a new touchscreen android device with keyboard.....BIS sucks!!

I truly appreciate the help you guys have provided. This is why CB is the best!!

Have a great day, yall!!
    07-13-09 07:18 PM
    BIS is pretty kickass imo, I could never have any other carrier gab VZW either. And its fairly new so it'll only get better. Especially with LTE and less networm restrictions.

07-13-09 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD