Hello,

I have been a long time reader but this is my first post.

I have been using a Treo for years and a palm for years before that.

I am a Realtor and they are finally using Blackberry's for our ekeys so I can switch to BB.

I have been wanting BBs push email and superior messaging for a while now.

I will be getting a Storm in the next few weeks.

My question. If there are any former Treo palm users or BB users just familiar with the palm os. What if anything can BB not do that a palm can and visa versa and what will be the biggest adjustment to changing to the Storm?

Thanks for any help.
    01-04-09 11:37 PM
    Welcome aboard The biggest adjustment you'll have to make is going from a full face physical QWERTY keyboard to an on screen "SurePress" keyboard. It will take some adjustment but I'm sure you'll be fine.
    01-04-09 11:56 PM
    Thanks theFarmer.

I did some typing on one of my clients Storm and I found it rather pleasant on the full landscape mode. I had a hard time getting use to the portait mode with the two letters per key.

I can't wait to get it!
    01-05-09 12:01 AM
    Hello,

I have been a long time reader but this is my first post.

I have been using a Treo for years and a palm for years before that.

I am a Realtor and they are finally using Blackberry's for our ekeys so I can switch to BB.

I have been wanting BBs push email and superior messaging for a while now.

I will be getting a Storm in the next few weeks.

My question. If there are any former Treo palm users or BB users just familiar with the palm os. What if anything can BB not do that a palm can and visa versa and what will be the biggest adjustment to changing to the Storm?

Thanks for any help.
    Hello, and welcome!

I'm a realtor as well, and had the 700p because i could install GE's Suprakey system and have a phone/pda/lockbox key.

I got tired of the Treo- it was becoming outdated- as well as big and bulky.

I am sure you will LOVE the change. I will say this- give it at least 2 to 3 weeks to get use to. Things are done different than on the Treo- for the better. Be open minded. True pushed emails are wonderful. I tether mine to access the MLS from the field, as well I use efax- I also have a tablet PC and use a company called VREO's software that has all my forms online- and I can have contracts signed, and efaxed to the other realtor (or the office) within minutes. It's a dream...

The only adjusting is that the fact there is a learning curve on learning how to type on it. But this is common across all platforms that had phyisical keyboards.

I have been using the Storm since 12/10/08 and I'm now back up to speed with texting and whatnot.

I learn new things everyday. The biggest bit of advice I can give you- is learn your blackberry- get comfortable with it- know when somethings not right. This isn't a perfect device- but it's close. Knowing when to tell when something is not right- can only help you. Learn to love this site. It's invaluable. The wealth of knowledge here is priceless. I would read the FAQ's and tips and tricks for the Storm.

Also- what lockbox system are you on? GE's? if so- how does the Storm work on it?
    01-05-09 12:05 AM
    There is another complete thread asking for feedback from ex Treo 700 users. You might check that out too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 12:48 AM
    You will feel the equivalence of going from Windows to old DOS displays. Palm uses vibrant colors and icons. BB uses simple colors background and text. If you used Agendus in your 700p you will understand what I mean. The BB version is so simple looking and doesn't compare.

The folks that created Agendus are working hard and I am confident it will improve as it already has, with time.

You will also miss the plethora of programs available for the palm. I am disappointed with the lack of real applications for the BB. Inspite of RIM long existence, this is unbelievable.

You'll find all kinds of programs that make your LED flash in pretty
    Colors and tons of ringtones. But no real useful ones. I hope that this changes sooner than later. I have seen great strides in the past 1.5 months so this is a good sign especially vendors that are twicking existing apps to work on the Storm.
    01-05-09 12:57 AM
    I am also changing over from a Palm Treo to a BB Storm and am right now a bit frustrated, but I think with Verizon you have 30 days as far as the return policy. Does anyone know how long it is?

I am having problems because with the Palm you had a nice desktop set up that easily synched all your information and allowed you to type on the computer and then synch it with your wireless phone. It was just so much easier.

I am not sure if I am going to keep this or look to the one with the trackball? I want to keep this one and think I am just going to work with it.

I need to just go through all of this and learn the lingo. Such as what pushing an e-mail is? Is it something I can set it to so it does it all the time?
    01-05-09 09:38 AM
    ...I also recently switched.

I do not regret it for a second. I love this device. I used a Curve before and the switch was not as big as some have made it out to be. At least for me.

Have fun, it is a great device and I use it for e-mail, pics, videos, contacts etc, Oh and a phone too.

S
    01-05-09 09:45 AM
    The biggest thing you have to remember is to give the Blackberry a full 30 days. You need to learn to accept what the blackberry might lack compared to the Treo, but overall it is a far superior device. Remember to ask any questions you might have, and we will definitely be happy to answer .
    01-05-09 10:24 AM
    I made the switch from a 700p to the Storm. I would not want to go back. There are some things like threading SMS's that i miss, but nothing that you cant get used to. The biggest advice i can give you is to be ready for things to be different. While a lot is better, some peple get hung up on things being different. They just are, it isnt that they don't get the job done, it is that they get it done in a different way. If you get past that you'll love the storm.
    01-05-09 10:52 AM
    Thanks for all the great feedback.

This is a great community, always so helpful.

I am a Realtor in Scottsdale, AZ. We use the GE Security lockbox's. We were suppose to be ready for Blackberry by the end of 2008 but they have now moved it back a few weeks to mid Jan 09.

Again thanks for all the great info. I will do a search and read up on the other posts about the Treo to BB threads.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    01-05-09 11:53 AM
    I used a 700p for over a year. I got a Storm on 12/17 and haven't picked up the treo since. The biggest problem for me was learning to use outlook versus the Palm desktop to manage contacts and dates. If you stay on this site and keep an open mind to the differences you will do great. I think the Storm can do it all just different from the Treo.
    01-05-09 12:19 PM
    In addition to the general lack of apps for the Storm, I specifically miss a good e-book reader. I have so far been unable to find anything that transfers the e-books cleanly and easily to the Storm, or that looks good once I am reading them. Isilo has a reader out in beta that is better than nothing, but for now I am keeping my Treo charged up just to read from.
    01-05-09 12:52 PM
    I've had my Storm since 12/5 and a Treo 700p for 2 1/2 years. As many have said before, things will be different, VERY different. Some is good and some is bad. Overall, I'm happy with the Storm but here are a few of my good/bad key points (not all of them):

Good
    Enterprise support
    Emails are close to the HTML types on your PC
    Don't need a 3rd party solution (Snapper/Chatter) for improved email
    Don't need a 3rd party solution (Chapura) for better sync and integration with Outlook and expands on Palm apps (task, calendar, contacts, notes, etc.)
    Don't need a 3rd party solutions for media
    The web browser is tons better (tap to zoom is very helpful)
    BB Messenger if you have friends with BB's
    Bigger screen (a little better quality too)
    Standard headphone jack
    Spell check
    Multitasking
    Better phone (less dropped calls)
    Loud speaker
    Notification profiles
    Better quality camera - video (autofocus & flash too.)
    Reminders won't set off vibrate while on a call
    (I always got asked WTH was that?)
    Sexy looking and not as thick

Bad
    Unstable OS (I have do a battery pull daily)
    System resets take longer
    No simple one button sync
    I liked the portrait, single hand (thumb) typing on the 700p keyboard
    (I can't stand the Centro, 800W, Pro keyboards - too tight)
    Out of the box typing on the Storm takes time to adjust to and requires a few software tweaks (100-100-6)
    Desktop sync to Outlook takes a lot longer and requires more interaction
    Applications launch quicker on Palm
    Navigating the system is snappier on the Palm
    Selecting text for cut, copy and paste (can't beat the stylus for that)
    Palm battery lasts longer
    Inserting MicroSD requires taking the rear cover off
    Poor selection of 3rd party programs
    No option for SMS reply to calls you can't answer
    Search doesn't drill down inside the location (you have to search for document/message and then search again inside of it)
    Response of camera/video is slow and less predicable (OS issue)
    Less ability to customize things to your liking
    Still doesn't support flash

The Treo has hit the wall and can't get any better. The BB Storm has lots of potential. lets hope RIM continues to improve it (and quickly). A very significant number of people return theirs because they lost patience with it. You've got to give a couple of weeks minimum before making a final judgment. Hopefully, many of OS issues will be fixed shortly. I've seen some potential in the leaked .85 version, but there are plenty of bugs still remaining.

Good luck with yours...
    01-05-09 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD