DONT!

i was one of you considering switchin to the omnia or the touch pro after some issues with the storm. mainly issues typing.

So i went to verizon corp store today to see them, to compare.

OMG they suck.

First the touch pro, which was my main choice, i figured the lack of a keyboard and a complete touch screen were my main issues. So i was excited to try the touchboard.

HOLY CRAP! THE KEYBOARD IS TERRIBLE. HORENDOUS. DISPICKABLE.
    I cant stress enough how bad the keyboard is on the touch pro.

For one there is a space between the n and the m! there is a page up key there! So you have to "relearn" the damn qwerty keyboard!

Plus it just feels weird.

The screen is tiny, hard to tap. Man i thought the storm's screen was hard to select and tap, this tiny thing is 100% worse. there is alot of wasted realestate on the front of the phone too down near the buttons.

It took FOREVER to go portriat landscape, and at one point it got stuck after i closed the keyboard.

Next the OMNIA.

ARGH! Same issue, small screen, hard to select things, the vibration effect is COOL (I want this for storm). but even harder to type with the tiny screen, and the resolution is poor.

I liked the omnia better than the touch pro, the itnerface was better, but still poor.

Everything that is easy in the BB is hard in these two phones.

and worst of all, I AM(or was) a HARDCORE WINMO FAN!

I LOVED my moto Q!!! I was expecting to love these phones.

but after 2 weeks with my storm and more importantly the BB interface, i cant go back!

I hope this saves you storm owners that are considering this alot of headaches doing 2 more exchanges!

Go see thee phones first, you will want your storm back!
    12-02-08 02:39 PM
    A friend of mine, who owns a Curve, picked up the Touch Pro yesterday.

long story short, he returned it in 4 hours and ordered a Storm.
    12-02-08 02:46 PM
    I was considering this switch myself, BUT I actually dislike WM. I too was disappointed with my in store expierence with those 2 phones. Yea I like that they have WiFi, and the 5.0 cam on the Omnia, or the flipout keyboard on the Touch Pro, BUT yea the touch part was crappy AND as I said i DON'T like WM. Also the fact that the TP is a good 100 dollar more also helped to sway me AWAY!
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-02-08 at 03:09 PM.
    12-02-08 02:47 PM
    I had a Q once to. Nowhere does it compare what I have been able to do with the Storm. This is my first BB and am in love with them. They are by far the best communication devices I have ever used. Just the way the BB system is integrated into every BB and each BB connected to other BB devices and IM without having to use minutes from your plan when they are on other carriers or if it's just a quick question to ask, the BB IM has been a time saver for me.
    12-02-08 02:55 PM
    VZW completely destroyed the touch pro. It's unfortunate but true. I've played with the phone in store, and a friend has the Sprint version, the sprint version if MUCH better. First off its a much snappier response, the keyboard layout actually makes sense, and the hardware is better. But, I will say the touch is no where near the ease of use of the storm.

Only really nice thing about WinMo is the absolute glut of hacks, including whole OS's out there with everything unlocked. But having gone to the blackberry I don't think I'll go back unless Windows makes some serious changes.
    12-02-08 03:50 PM
    yeah, i went in last friday after thanksgiving to check out some phones for my family and the salesmen talked up the omnia and even brought one out for us to play with. i was unimpressed with the phone overall.

based on the significant changes .75 made to the phone, i am confident the storm is only gonna get better and better.
    12-02-08 04:01 PM
    yeah i hope my info helps others! I was so excited about the touch pro and the omnia when they were announced, never even planned on getting the storm (cause i wanted to stick with winmo)

but they really destroyed the touch pro. and the omnia is the storm but not as good

i too was worried about the lack of apps, hacks, mods, etc.
    but then i realized, 99% of the hacks/mods i had, were to do things BB does natively without them!

Plus i realized with the exception of TCPMP and WIndows Live Search, BB had all the apps i wanted.

But i admit the lack of TCPMP (a divx, xvid video player) for the BB really SUCKS! I want to be able to play my gigs of movies with 2 hour conversions!
    12-02-08 04:32 PM
    i check out the touch and omnia today, icant beleive anyone would buy either. they are both crap, completely slow and honestly..unusable!!! i am so happy to have my storm!
    12-07-08 11:48 AM
    I was also considering the omni or htc touch but i watched alot of videos on them and i didnt like how small icons where on the screen (had to use a stylus) and it seemed like there was alot going on with the os..seemed to busy. i will check them out in the store but i doubt it will change my mind...especially with those high prices
    12-07-08 12:15 PM
    IMO out of all the PDA's Verizon offers... The storm and Curve are 1 & 2... right now and I feel the Curve is ahead of the storm, but only because of the initial issues. I trust a couple FW updates later and the Storm will be the best phone on the best network. This of course coming from a Current Curve and ex 700wx user. I official hate windows mobile devices after that.
    12-07-08 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD