Let me start this off by saying I'm not only new to Blackberry but new to this site and still learning how to use both. I thought this post might be useful to the other new guys (and maybe even some of you experienced folk).

I posted a 'help' message on this site yesterday hoping to get a little assistance for a bricked storm which occurred during a software update. Got a few responses . . . some trying to help and pointing me at Crackberry instructions on how to make the fix myself, others laughing at my problem and me (I trust this is not the typical behavior that this site would elicit from its members).

Anyhow, thought some of you might find the outcome interesting: I first tried going to Verizon online tech support. They just wanted to send me a new storm and told me 'not to update software if my phone is working okay . . . that updates are really for people who are having problems with their phone'. I kid you not! That is exactly what the rep told me. Now please know that I have always been a huge Verizon fan, especially of their tech support. And still am. But they definitely got it wrong this time.

Anyhow, I tried to reload the OS myself using the instructions found on this site. Could not get the DOS instructions to work for me. Went to very experienced DOS experts and they couldn't do it either. Finally went to the local Verizon store/tech dept where a rep named 'Blue' (Blue, you are the man!) plugged my device into their system and reloaded the OS.

I lost a piece of software I had loaded. I retained all of my music (probably because it resides on the SIM card?). I lost all other data but immediately synced with laptop and retrieved it from Outlook. I'm now fully back in business. Moral of the story: Unless you know exactly what you're doing, take it into a Verizon store tech center and they'll have you back in business in about an hour.

And to you guys (and you know who you are) who laughed at me and my problem -- well, I'm sure glad you seem to be in the minority on this site or this would be my last time using Crackberry.
    12-09-08 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD