Storm's Screen Only Supports 65K Colors?
10-10-08 08:11 AM
- I've been a long time lurker in this forum (and over at HoFo), and I'm drooling in anticipation of the Storm's imminent release.
I'm fully aware that just about all specs have been either revealed or hinted at. However, there's one particular detail that has hardly been touched upon, and frankly I'm surprised that nobody has inquired about it until now (hence this new thread).
How many colors will the Storm's screen support?
Well according to the folks at "storm-reviews dot co dot uk" (sorry but I'm currently ineligible to post links), the Storm's screen will support 65K colors (and they've been referenced at HoFo). That is fine with respect to all the HTC phones (including the Touch HD) and even the Android G1, because they all support 65K colors. However, the iPhone 3g (as well as the new Nokia 5800 Tube) supports 16M colors!
Let me reiterate: 65 Thousand colors ... compared to ... 16 Million colors
That's a huge difference. Now I'm fully aware that the Storm has a slightly higher resolution and PPI when compared to the iPhone, but if the color spec is indeed correct, then that would be worrisome to me.
I'd really appreciate it if a respected insider (like Crucial Xtreme or Kevin Byrne) could shed some light on this matter and give a hint.
Is the seesaw heavier on the left or the right?
I know CX has hinted several times that the Storm's screen looks "sharper" than the iPhone's screen, but I can't seem to ignore the color discrepancy.
Here's to hoping that my fear is unfounded... Cheers!10-03-08 04:13 PM
- It could be 65K color, the bold is 65K colors according to the specs on RIM's web site ...
I do agree with you, the Nokia is 16M colors
But I could not find anywhere the number of colors on the iPhone ( even on Apple site ) Do you have any link/references ?
Thanks10-03-08 04:40 PM
I've read on sooo many websites that the Bold's screen is the best screen on a cellphone so far (maybe not in Japan!? )10-03-08 04:58 PM
- 10-03-08 05:35 PM
- the iPhone does support 16 million colors. As for the Bold screen, the reason it looks so good is because of the smaller physical size of the screen, which forces a higher dpi than the iPhone. You will really notice the lower 65k color when viewing pictures side by side. I seriously hope the storm does not just support 65k colors.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com10-03-08 07:48 PM
- Crucial_XtremeRetired Moderatorthe iPhone does support 16 million colors. As for the Bold screen, the reason it looks so good is because of the smaller physical size of the screen, which forces a higher dpi than the iPhone. You will really notice the lower 65k color when viewing pictures side by side. I seriously hope the storm does not just support 65k colors.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com10-03-08 08:50 PM
- 10-03-08 09:52 PM
- Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised then, if the Bold screen will look better than the storm screen. Once again, the dpi will be far higher on the bold due to it's smaller screen size. The storm screen will not look good side by side with the iPhone if indeed it's only 65k.10-03-08 10:00 PM
- 10-03-08 10:05 PM
Device Model: 9500
Carrier: Rogers/AT&T Join Date: Jul 2008
Originally Posted by notabun
what does bother me is saying it has "one of the highest resolution screens" when there's already devices out that have VGA rez or better. That's kind of a lie.
I assume you're referring to my, so don't mis-represent what I said. The Storm does have a higher screen resolution than any other Blackberry on the market. Needless to say, it's screen res is higher than that of the Bold, and the Bold's screen was touted as better than that of the Iphone's which was dubbed "best ever". So once again, the Storm has a higher screen res than any other Blackberry device on the market.
here's another post:
Last edited by briankeith513; 10-03-08 at 10:13 PM.10-03-08 10:11 PM
- the post you are reffering to is talking about the screen resolution. Not the supported colors. Again, while the bold has the same screen resolution of the iPhone, it does it with a much smaller screen. Therfore the dpi is far higher on the bold. The storm has a screen size closer to that of the iPhone, though the resolution is a tiny bit higher, I am pretty sure the dpi will be less than that of the bold. The color limitation at this size might be more apparent when compared to an iPhone.10-03-08 10:26 PM
- BlackBerry OS Phone Forums
- More BlackBerry Phones
- BlackBerry Storm
Storm's Screen Only Supports 65K Colors?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD