Hey folks, I'm up for an upgrade next Saturday and I've decided to get a BB. My service provider gets new phones a year after everyone else does, so I'm fairly limited in my choices. Currently they're offering the Pearl 8130, World 8830, Curve 8330 and Storm 9530. I've already decided that the Pearl and World are not for me, so that narrows it down to the Curve or Storm.

I've been lurking CB for a while now, and I've seen a lot of people having trouble with their storms, and generally just hating the device, but I've also seen a fair number who love it. Whatever device I choose, I'll be stuck with it for at least a year, so I want to choose well lol. I'm a texting freak (with rather small fingers), and I'm all for the media aspects and customization of my phone. I also plan to use the web browser relentlessly. I have used my iPod touch daily for the last year, so I do have some experience with touch screens. I adapt well to learning curves with technology, but I have no patience for a device that will constantly quit working and freeze up, etc.

So, basically what I'm asking is this; do you, the experienced Storm users, think that it's worth it for someone like me to attempt this phone, or play it safe with the Curve? So far I've liked what I've seen with the Storm, and it looks like a really sweet device, but again, I don't want to **** myself over if it's going to suck. Also, if I do decide to go with the Curve, is the 8330 outdated, or is it still going pretty strong? Any/all opinions are appreciated.

TL;DR: Storm = good or bad?
    07-01-09 02:40 PM
    I have the storm and am very happy with it. One thing I hate is not having a hard keyboard. I found it annoying since I make quite a lot of mistakes and the speed isn't as fast as it would been on a hard keyboard.
    07-01-09 02:42 PM
    Storm = bad. I've had it since January and cannot stand it. I've been through a million and one OS's, Hybrids, etc. Wait for the next storm, tour, bold or go to the tried and true 8330.
    07-01-09 02:42 PM
    It depends on the user... I absolutely love my storm....
    Granted, ive had some problems. But Every phone has its own issues. Its the best phone I have ever owned.
    07-01-09 02:43 PM
    I love this phone and I wouldn't trade it for any other on the market right now. Most of peoples problems with it is user error. Not all but most.
    07-01-09 03:04 PM
    storm = it's up to the user

imho, i enjoy my storm
    07-01-09 03:11 PM
    I enjoy my storm. I played on a friend's 8320 and I'd forgotten all the little keyboard tricks! It was super sad but I can fly through the keys on my storm. My advice is to wait for the Tour or go with the trusty curve. Especially if it's your first blackberry why not go with an actually keyboard than visual? I had an 8830 first and I loved it.. just didn't ring loud enough for me. Good luck and enjoy your new berry!
    07-01-09 03:21 PM
    I got my Storm in Dec 08. Started with .65, the .75, then went to .109 and now .148 I had a Treo with Windows Mobile. Found that was just like having another windows based PC. I think it is a love/hate relationship. Sometimes the phone really pisses me off and other times I really love it. Overall I really do like it. Its just fun. The keyboard is no problem for me and I like the click of the screen. The responsiveness is sometimes frustrating but overall I do like the phone. Can you try it for 30 days and return if you dont like it? Give it a shot. There are alot of apps out there now too.
    07-01-09 03:25 PM
    Yeah ot really does depend on the user and the patience and needs too. I have the storm and to be honest I like it. It has a nice big screen and is full of multimedia features, It does have it's bad points but the OS .148 does help a lot. I would tell you to try it out and if it doesn't work out for you then do go to the curve because that was the first blackberry I had and it was awesome.
    07-01-09 03:26 PM
    The Storm is a great phone. You have to remember that people come here to solve problems, so the view can sometimes be skewed that way. It's the best phone I've ever owned, and not a teenager.
    07-01-09 03:26 PM
    I love mine. If you wanted the iphone you might be put off by surepress but I like it. If you wanted a keyboard than obviously a curve would be better for you. Its a phone of its own class in my opinion. The people that compare it to other phones should have purchased the other phone but probably would have complained about them too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 03:27 PM
    GET THE CURVE...

its perfect for anybody
    07-01-09 03:29 PM
    I like my Storm, but it DOES have issues. I would suggest you go to the store and try it out also does your carrier have a return policy? You could start out with the Storm and then if you hate it return it for a Curve (a VERY solid BB) within the return period.
    storm = it's up to the user

imho, i enjoy my storm
    +1

I'll add this, the love/hate of the Storm is a matter of expectations. I love mine, it has always done what I originally expected it to do (email, internet, organization (calendar, contacts, tasks)). Everything else it can do is just a bonus.

i like my storm...don't think I could deal with a smaller screen even if the device perfomed better.
    07-01-09 03:32 PM
    I wouldn't use the term "bad" to describe my Storm at all. If you do decide to get it, though, make sure to familiarize yourself with your service provider's return policy. The Storm is not for everyone, and a lot of times the only way to tell for sure is to take it for a test run for awhile.
    07-01-09 03:32 PM
    I've had mine now for a week and absolutely love it. I do sometimes miss the physical kb of my eNV, but have gotten used to this one quite quickly.

07-01-09 03:34 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys, from the sounds of it I'll have to try it out for myself to ultimately decide. I think I can use it for 30 days and return it if I don't like it, so I'll probably do that. Hopefully the Tour will be out here by the time my 30 days is up.
    07-01-09 03:34 PM
    I have had my Storm since Nov. 21st. I have not had to get it replaced, have not had any hardware issues, and have had a myriad of OS builds on it. Currently I have the .148 official build. It works good, much better than my Winmo device that it replaced. Does it have it's quirks? Sure all smartphones do. Do i miss having a hard keyboard? nope. I'm a slow typist anyway so i haven't had any slow down on this phone at all. Here's my take...

Pros:
    Size - it feels good in my hand I have large hands and I don't feel like my phone is a toy in them.

Weight - Feels like a phone not some plastic toy a kid would have

Screen - The screen is large and has a decent resolution, great for videos, or composing emails

Multimedia - It plays my videos, songs and what not with no real issues, the sound quality is good

Cons:
    Battery life - using above multiledia drains the battery in short order

Lag - after a few days of use it needs a reboot to clean up and run well again
    App memory - only has 128 MB usable memory for running apps and such so you need to be aware

Neutrals:
    Accelerometer - It works well most of the time, it gets stuck on occasion and needs a harder nudge to switch

Keyboard - Like I stated earlier, i'm a slow typist (due to big fingers)so not having a physical keyboard is no big deal. If your lightning fast on the keyboard, then you will have a steep learning curve (or so I've been told)

Speed - at times this thing seems like it is tripping on it self and seems slow, other times it's lightning quick all depends of environmental conditions, it takes some tweaking to get the right mix of things running/installed to get it where I like it.
    07-01-09 03:40 PM
    First two weeks I was ready to toss it out the window at 70, in the dark, just so I wouldn't be tempted to turn back and pick it up.

Now, after six months, you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. And I'm totally spoiled with the Storm's screen size, which is why the Tour, as sexy as it is, would probably be a let down.

Biggest disappointment for me is not anything specific in everyday operation, it's the fact that the OS has yet to live up to the potential of the hardware.
    07-01-09 04:57 PM
    The storm has been my first smart phone. My wife got a curve at the same time as me so as a newbie to both here are my findings.

Pro's-
    Storm is better for me to type on in landscape vs curve. I have big hands and the extra space for the "keys" makes all the differeence.

I find the option of sure type very handy (ha) when only one hand is avalible.

The screen- for its size, brightness and contrast. Always clear in most any lighting condition. Also very impressive when watching vids.

If you keep the number of apps/games to what you use, the performance is quite good. This will also reduce the number of reboots needed. Since upgrading to 122 (telus) I have only rebooted one time.

Camera, 3.2MB 'nough said. Oh and it's not to shabby with video either.

Cut/Copy/Paste.

Ability to open and if need be alter Word/Excel/Powerpoint.

Opera Mini (fast browser, good rendering), Tiltrs (game), Lights Out (game), Bery unit Conversion, GCalc! (grafix calculator), Slacker (music), Blackstar (GPS way points program), Beam Reader (PDF reader)

Cons-
    Dust under screen. If you work where there is a lot of fine dust, you will likely get some under the screen. best prevention is to keep it in the holder and in your pocket. Mine was good (3.5 months) until I just straight pocketed it. But I also work in a flour mill. Personally I think RIM should have used a silicon rubber gasket to seal the screen to the handset. This way the gasket could have doubled as the springs making them unnessary.

OS does not take full advantage of the hardware. Not so much a con, just a dissapointment. The hardware allows screen taps (opera mini) or screen clicks (like typing, most other apps). But the BB programs should utilize both for more iteraction. ie tap for "right click" but click for "left click".

Lack of a good sci, and business calculators.

Lack of a stand alone GPS Map program. Seroiusly what is the point of going into the wilderness. Whipping out your GPS and then having it feebily look for a connection to get the maps.

Putting a poor performing or under utilized app. Removal can sometimes be a pain. that makes you wish you could punt your telcom rep in the junk.

Many of the apps are also over the air only (as to download and install via computer). This is too bad since I am regully out of the 3G/1EX service areas.
    07-01-09 05:00 PM
    Sorry should note that the Curve has been very stable for my wife. and that it ALLWAYS works minus all the bells and wistels.
    07-01-09 05:02 PM
    dont get it. wait for tour.
    07-01-09 05:05 PM
    I HATE my storm. It is painful. I would rather set my hair on fire and put it out with a golf shoe than use this phone. It just recently sank in that I am stuck with this polished turd for 14 more months. But I don't want to dissuade you or anything.
    07-01-09 05:21 PM
    i agree with PK go to your carrier and try it because it all is truly personal opinion and whether you think youll adjust to the surepress tech. for the keyboard. if you can or think you can do that then its a great phone with a large screen and the bells and whistles you dont really see in a BB

and my second choice behind the storm given your options would be the Curve as thats just all around solid and i hear no complaints about it from my friends who have the phone
    07-01-09 05:25 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD